Luck

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is, for you, the percentage of influence of luck in poker?

M

mrT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm well i think skill is more a factor than luck
dont get me wrong cause you need the cards to fall as well but the good players can play the players .
i think maybe about 30% luck 70% skill

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case I see a lot of hands going against the odds, most not in my favour.

It's those 2-5 percenters that just shouldn't happen a lot, but seem to happen a lot more than 2-5 percent of the time, that really surprise me.

It's supposed to even out over a lifetime. We'll see.

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The degree of skill (or % as you're asking) being the 'winning factor' is a function of total hands played in games where there is a possible edge to be had (so no games like 1 blind flips of course). So it's just a matter of realizing this skill edge through playing volume pretty much.

Last edited:
Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a constant victim of luck...

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me 20-80%. It depends on how much you can control your actions. And how good you are at analysing. You will need only luck to prove you're observations were right. I am always shouting: HOLD, than about 80% i win it ;)

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Thats a part of it. When you play bad hole cards say 1 in 9 of hitting. Don't bet foolish until you have folded six times. Kenny Rodgers calls it a half bluff. Remember at end of movie "THE GAMBLER". See a chance of coming but should lose to set bet next time.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The skill/luck factor is not a factor of probability and how often your hand holds up. The true skill comes in realizing that there is no such thing as luck, and handling yourself well when "bad luck" strikes. Every single player that has ever played this game has suffered a bad beat. The skillful players are the ones who do not let the bad beats alter their cognitive state, and can still play and think rationally.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a game that requires skill and experience. Obviously, your intuition is based on your experience. Therefore, I believe that in experienced players, this ratio is 75% skill and 25% luck.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no luck, there is an accident! Luck is for suckers! There Is Success! You make it yourself! It is necessary to wish, Success!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don`t think you can calculate luck in an accurate percentage, We can say that the most important is maths and psycology or psycology and maths and then is luck!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is difficult to determine in percentage terms. But I am sure that the main requirement to win poker is skill !!!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that for me in poker there is such an option, from 60 to 80% is the skill of the game and the rest is luck in the game, because in the game there are times when you go all-in and see and understand that the flop is not yours victory and the turn or river gives you the chance to win and you get the victory on luck, so for me in the game it is about 70% game skill and the rest is luck!

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you always get it in as the favorite you are going to win more than you lose. Those percentages usually hold up. Luck exists in the short term but not over time. The percentages are the percentages.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the first part of an MTT the chance counts for 20% but in the last part this percentage goes to 70%. which generally forces players to play tighter and lower their bet frequency.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The percentage of luck in your play should be reduced to a minimum. You don't want to be gambling. But of course on the right moment you just need a bit of luck. I can remember that for some of the tournaments I won or finished to the final table I also had one lucky hand at least. But you don't want to be depending on luck all the time.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have heard people say its better to be lucky than good lol. I don't actually believe that but have to say, we all need a little luck now and then. Maybe lucky to fold a hand that could of cost a boatload of money. Like folding a potential boat and find out after you woulda lost to quads. That be skill and patience as well but still lucky you didn't over play the hand. For me being lucky would more likely be going all in with QQ, 2 people call with KK and AA and you catch a queen and avoid them catching a thing.

AndreyMav78

AndreyMav78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sincerely believe that the percentage of luck is about 50%

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think this ratio is about 70% of skill and 30% of luck.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, the percentage of luck in online poker is about 15-30. Sometimes there are time intervals, when the percentage of luck reaches 80.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This question exists as much as poker itself. It’s better not to hope for luck, but to do everything possible to pump your playing skills. Then we can realistically look at issues of luck and bad luck. Most people too underestimate the effects of variance in poker. Many poker players are used to showing off their winnings by playing a very small number of hands. That is, they do not fully understand that winnings on a small sample are more a result of luck than skill.