Luck?

Rjz89

Rjz89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I literally feel like I’m the unluckiest player ever. I know people say that your not u lucky your just bad at poker but I feel like a large portion of the hands I lose I’m massively ahead before a turn or river kills me. Getting sick of it now. Any advice?

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The only importance of success in poker consists that if the luck did not play any role, fish just would not play because good luck gives them an opportunity from time to time to win. And it would be less interesting to players of average force because they could not write off the mediocre results for bad luck. Such accuse of the failures bad players, the dealer, destiny and in general anything, but only not themselves and the ordinary-looking poker skills. Besides important factors are your game style, a kind of poker, what rivals resist to you, degree of your advantage in skill, whether you pass to a new limit at present and also whether you prefer tournament poker or a cache game.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I literally feel like I’m the unluckiest player ever. I know people say that your not u lucky your just bad at poker but I feel like a large portion of the hands I lose I’m massively ahead before a turn or river kills me. Getting sick of it now. Any advice?
How long have you been playing poker?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I’ve been playing for around 5months now
Maybe you need to learn more about the game. Watch a video about how other players play, read articles on websites.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many will say that poker is strategy and a lot of other things and in a certain part is true .. but 80 percent is luck .. for more good player that you can lose against any hand .. a pair of aces does not guarantee anything

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are going to lose hands on the turn and river regardless of how far ahead you believe you are. It's poker! We tend to remember the losses and not the winners. I could tell you many of the losses I've incurred but few of the winners with good starting hands. I thought I was losing so much of the time with AA but after looking at my stats, it's only been 31% (18/59) since May 1st. So AA is a winner for me 69% of the time when I go to a showdown. What you don't say is if you are shoving all your chips when you think you're ahead but haven't seen all the cards. Since you've only been playing 5 months or so, would suggest you study the game. Read some books, watch some videos, and post some of your hands here in CardsChat for others to help you analyze where you went wrong or if you just got beat by a better hand. Asking for help is a good start! Good luck on the tables!

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad Luck is a real thing

Even for experienced players they can be unlucky. I have been playing for 14 years and still consider myself extremely unlucky. I would be willing to bet that going into the river with the best hand I still lose at least 70% of the time. I don't believe I am exaggerating.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of players notices only bad beats.But when you win you takes it for granted.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is a real part of poker - good and bad luck.

There are lots of training sites and videos and books that can teach a new player a lot about poker.

I didn't cash in the first 11 tournaments I played (live), but then I cashed in the next 4 out of 5. I take two things from this.

1) I was learning. Transitioning from theory and books to live action takes a while to become comfortable with the pace. You will learn as you see the different scenarios and types of things that can/do happen. This takes time. You will need to play thousands and thousands of hands.
2) there is variance - positive and negative swings. you will find ways to mitigate the impacts of these swings, and you will learn that sometimes you are doing something (leak) that is contributing to these swings.

My advice (for what it is worth):

• keep very good records of your experiences, so that you can learn from them.
  • Do not rely on your memory, as it will deceive you at times.
  • Consider tightening up a little bit until you stabilize. I have found that when I am in a down cycle, it is because i am playing too many speculative hands and bleeding my chips too fast. When I tighten up a little I can focus more, instead of hoping to hit my suited 56.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea luck is huge. you can do everything right but still lose. But persistently playing well pays over time.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The turn and river is where the big money is won and lost.
Big starting hands become irrelevant, you must be able to fold big starting pockets, if the action is hot.
Don't pay people off.When Villains make big bets on the turn and river, they are usually not bluffing.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting on cards that are still to come sure is pure luck.
Shoving all in pre-flop and loose is just stupid.
Cracking Aces with your pair of 4's is wisdom, perfection and just the way it always should be...
got me?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I won't say that it's all about luck, just maybe 90 - 95%.

I just played a CC freeroll. Had to complete a job so I started over an hour late. Popped into my LAST hand (big blind) with a terrible hand (my J8o vs his JTs) which I won. From that point on every terrible starting hand I didn't play WOULD HAVE BEEN a winner. I finished the game with my only premium hand (QQ) which I lost to KK.

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is always a factor when you keep losing with big hands post flop. My advice don't let the fish see a cheap flop.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is always a factor when you keep losing with big hands post flop. My advice don't let the fish see a cheap flop.
Okay, I take back my previous comment. It IS all about luck.

Drew TT in my first Zoom hand of the day. Half stack guy did a min-raise open so I shoved (no cheap flop to be seen here). He had AA. I flopped a set and won.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Evidently, luck is very important.
But, how do you play, that is much more important.

Yonip17

Yonip17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats actually happen to everyone. Even your the best poker player if you are not lucky the time you played you will be loss.

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are not the only one .. Sometimes it seems to me that I receive bad cards specially ... Pocket pairs fall extremely rarely and it's some kind of 2-2 or 4-4 ..

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is sure you are not the unluckyest player, because I am. :D
I know it is not help you, but the last couple of days I more times lost with AA. Last time AA ws 3T and on the table......3TT.
More players told me if you are on tilt you should play this or hat way... In my opinion not relevant . What is sure it will be change!!! ( It may be worse :) )

Keep your chin up! Your time will come!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
My advice is very simple. If you want to become a successful player, you must first be patient and disciplined. Try to improve your skills every day and keep your emotions under control.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is fickle

some have some don't...it comes and goes...I believe in skill more than luck. :-0

F

fatshady21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is just a small factor of the game you should never let it

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The last: K5 in my hand the flop KK5.
Luck turns, I thought. All in. Opponent show KQ. And the river??? Of course Q.
Who is the most unfortunate?