Lost my day job, blew my bankroll - Happy 2009

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all.

Just found out a few days ago that I am to be made redundant at the end of the month.

Got a night job, so I can get by, but to cap it all I have blown my pokerstars bankroll - about $700 !!!

So the moto of the story, don`t go on `life` tilt !!!

When I was given the news I started playing poker at work and after 5 days I have blown the lot on Stars!!!

And for the first time in 3 years, I am now showing a loss in my poker earnings for a period (I split my year up into 6 month sections and I`m 4 months into this 6)

I`m making stupid moves, not laying down hands, the list goes on.

I`m lucky I still have about $600 in Party and $200 in Full Tilt.

Can you guys give any advice???

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice proper BRM on these two accounts and don't tilt your $$ away.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
umm stop playing for a while. playing the pokers after getting bad news is basically like burning money.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tap the L1 key to rewind time. this will consume one charge of your Sands of Time.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bud, really sorry to hear that :/

But this is what I have to say:
Sort your head out before you sort your game out.
Dont play with scared money - seeing as you are now without work, money might be harder to come by
Use strict BRM.
Dont play emotional poker.
Dont gamble.
Don't pin your hopes on making a huge comeback immediately.
Play your way through your down swing - even if it means dropping to lower stakes for a while or playing freerolls.
Find time to take a walk
Use this time to fine tune your game - read more poker books, watch more WPT events on TV

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't look at everything as MUST wins.

Enjoy the money you have there and understand that things will get better and this is all for FUN.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to accumulate 1,000,000 play chips then sell them to restart your bankroll at stars. This way you get your poker fix but not at cost to you. Hang in there.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to accumulate 1,000,000 play chips then sell them to restart your bankroll at stars. This way you get your poker fix but not at cost to you. Hang in there.

sell them to who?

sorry I am lost here, does stars buy em back from you ?

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your kind support guys.

It is appreciated.

B

Brian182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should cash out all the money you got, or most of it right now. You can leave a little to grind so you don't have to go through payment processors to deposit, which usually costs money. I really think you should take a break from poker. Also, I think the funnest thing about having low bankrolls is to try to get it back up again. I usually tilt when I have lots of money to burn, and I can afford a few high stake games. When I don't have a lot of money, to me, the challenge of getting my bankroll up is funner than actually winning the money, so I take it more seriously let's say, if I only had 10 bucks left on a site. Also, the cash you withdraw to put in your savings account may make you feel a little bit better about your situation. Also, ya, sorry about your situation. I feel your pain. I'm still looking for a job, and I don't have any poker money :(

djrudeboy

djrudeboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It it a sign. Time to focus on a real job. Time some time off and come back to it when the money does not matter. Otherwise you will not play well and it will cause more stress than enjoyment.
IMHO

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should cash out all the money you got, or most of it right now. You can leave a little to grind so you don't have to go through payment processors to deposit, which usually costs money. I really think you should take a break from poker. Also, I think the funnest thing about having low bankrolls is to try to get it back up again. I usually tilt when I have lots of money to burn, and I can afford a few high stake games. When I don't have a lot of money, to me, the challenge of getting my bankroll up is funner than actually winning the money, so I take it more seriously let's say, if I only had 10 bucks left on a site. Also, the cash you withdraw to put in your savings account may make you feel a little bit better about your situation. Also, ya, sorry about your situation. I feel your pain. I'm still looking for a job, and I don't have any poker money :(

Thanks Brian and I wish u luck in your search for employment.

P

plumpkin85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it is hard but do not get down on yourself. There are millions of people out there hurting right now. I fortunately have a job but am still hurting. I have been in interview after interview to get a second job just to eat right now. It does not seem like 2009 will get any better but I keep telling myself it has to. Good luck to ya buddy!

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sell them to who?

sorry I am lost here, does stars buy em back from you ?

There are sites on the internet that buy them. Just google- Pokerstars play money- there are several sites that buy stars and other poker rooms' play money.

Back to OP-quit playing for a while, until you get your head on srewed on straight.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya that was a bad tilt, now regroup, use BRM and start building again. Your real life should not affect yr BR, you cant pay the rent at these levels so dont try, u will lose. 700 dollar lesson is not too bad. GL with another great job, hope u get one soon.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to hear about your situation, sweetie. *group hug* Who knows maybe some good things will come about this. I remember losing my job 8 years ago and that was the best thing that could have happened to me!!!! It forced me into the job market found my dream job!!

Good luck.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to hear about your situation, sweetie. *group hug* Who knows maybe some good things will come about this. I remember losing my job 8 years ago and that was the best thing that could have happened to me!!!! It forced me into the job market found my dream job!!

Good luck.

ditto - the job I have now, I could not ask for anything better, honestly

One door closes and another opens.

PokerGemmy

PokerGemmy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That sucks, maybe you should lay off the poker for a while until your "Life Tilt" is over.

pokerjdud

pokerjdud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea im very sorry to hear that, but i am a strong believer in everything happens for a reason, so who knows..maybe some good will come out of it?? as for your poker. you need a break, maybe a few days to figure it out, and dont return to the tables until you feel comfortable...desperation makes u change your poker game. trust me on that one.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry but I really have to ask why people are convincing Ronaldadio to take a break from the game.

Sure, his not so cool state of mind has cost him his BR but in my opinion anyone who is serious enough about poker will need to learn to juggle personal life and poker at the same time and he has a great opportunity now to learn to roll with the punches.

One day when he is at the FT of the wsop ME, and he gets disturbing news that may cause him to tilt, he'll be able to look back and put his personal issues aside and focus on the issue at hand, win and donate a portion of his winnings to Cardschat ;-)

Seriously though, about 2 years ago, I had massive personal issues, sick dad, court battles involving my son, work, poker BR dwindled, ex girlfriend stalking me, you name it, even my best friend wasn't around, he was in the UK working - all I had was poker.

I continued to play and grind and grind and grind and tune out when I played poker and when I was away from the tables, I had a clear head to tackle my problems with but when I was at the tables I learnt to focus on my game and I do believe this made me a better player.

I am able to sit and focus at my game, crush a few sng's then get up and go deal with my psycho ex.

My BR steadily grew from $40 to now over $2k

I say don't give up!

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to begin drinking heavily.

Just kidding! Good luck finding a new job!

J

Joe Hogg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the best advice for the poker part i would say read the poker mindset. I would tilt a lot in the past and bought the book. I look at cards from a whole different point of view now. And it turned me into a winning player.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management