Losing focus when playing less than your average stake

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone find else when playing the lower stake game relative to your average game, that you lose focus. Like you don't care as much because it matters less to your bankroll. After playing a game $27.50 tournament, it makes the $3.30 game much less interesting.

Or you guys able to give the same level of commitment regardless of stake?

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's an interesting question, the only times I will play lower stakes is when I know I can't give it my all! It's Saturday and I'm having a few drinks but still want to play... then I'll move down because i know that after 5 hours of drinking I'm probably not as aware as i was at the beginning! But in general no i go down in stakes to try out new things as well, so if I'm practicing my 4 bet folding range I'll go to lower stakes to try out different things which makes me more focused because I'm learning!
If you are going to lower stakes you should try that like just know that you should have an edge over a lot of the field and play to prove it! Concentrate on making no preflop mistakes for example!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When I start a game, I am always focused, whether it is a cash game, whether it is a tournament or a freeroll. I play not for money, but for my own pleasure. I am most pleased with my right decisions.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes and no depends really on your mindset I start each day at an imaginary 0 and try to get + instead of minus throughout the day regardless of the stakes I play,
I am happy enough to leave the higher limits even though playing them is affordable and play freerolls and micros patiently all day.
Risk versus reward is a big deciding factor in how I play maybe a bit limiting by not wanting a disastrous downswing though it then becomes harder to get those massive upswings.

Last edited:
V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on your concentration and attention. Your attitude towards banrol determines the seriousness of the game. Me and 10 cents are worth.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When more money are at risk you generally become more focused. I have seen it with the freerolls - if i can't loose any of my own money i sometimes play in less than optimal condition (even when i am tired or my focus is elsewhere). Best players though always play their best game no matter what the stakes are and they follow strict bankroll management which helps them to overcome the downswings. They have discipline and focus that most of the players simply don't have.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my case sometimes it happens to me but I try once to be in the tournament to forget that it is micro and play it like any other

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When more money are at risk you generally become more focused. I have seen it with the freerolls - if i can't loose any of my own money i sometimes play in less than optimal condition (even when i am tired or my focus is elsewhere). Best players though always play their best game no matter what the stakes are and they follow strict bankroll management which helps them to overcome the downswings. They have discipline and focus that most of the players simply don't have.

Free roll is hard to take seriously, you open with a 2.2x BB, 3 players shoves all in for 80+bb each.

They turn over cards like A3 vs Q9s vs 65o.

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I can focus, but it depends on my desire