Out of the loop for years, what have I missed?

V

Virtuoso80

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't played poker in years. I pretty much stopped after the Full Tilt scandal because I couldn't play online anymore. I had some basic success in the 2000's during the boom, got to play in the wsop one year, was about +30k overall, and probably would have done better if I wasn't dicking around so much so often ("Oh, it's okay that I'm indulging in playing games and stakes I know I shouldn't, because I'm learning").

Anyway, all I know is that serious games have gotten tougher, and that Hold 'Em is much more down to a science now. How much down to a science? Are you a losing player if you're playing like a 2000's player? It's partially a moot point, because I can't play cash in the US anyway...or can I?

I'm messing around with play money tournaments on pokerstars, which are unsurprisingly not at a high level, and planning to do some freerolls as a way to get some cash on the site. I'm treating it like a challenge. I think PokerStars allows you to win cash, just not withdraw it, if you're a US player, is that correct?

So basically, if anyone is generous enough to give me a rundown on what I've missed being out of the loop for years, I'd be interested. Anything crazy happen with known pros? What are some of the refined strategies in Holdem? Thanks in advance.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In no specific order
-Well, a guy got naked during the WSOP Main event
-There was a cheater who could see everyone's hole cards in a live stream game
-PokerStars got bought by the devil
-Everyone left PokerStars
-Lock Poker stole everyone's money
-Joe Ingram investigates everything very thoroughly
-All poker players must pay me a fee of $5 a month (In Bitcoin - Not that depreciating fiat crap.)

Yes, you can play online poker in the US at US facing sites. This forum host many freerolls on them as well.

And yes the games have gotten tougher. GTO is king.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[quote Out of the loop for years, what have I missed? [/quote]

Nothing :)

V

Virtuoso80

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In no specific order
-Well, a guy got naked during the WSOP Main event
-There was a cheater who could see everyone's hole cards in a live stream game
-PokerStars got bought by the devil
-Everyone left PokerStars
-Lock Poker stole everyone's money
-Joe Ingram investigates everything very thoroughly
-All poker players must pay me a fee of $5 a month (In Bitcoin - Not that depreciating fiat crap.)

Yes, you can play online poker in the US at US facing sites. This forum host many freerolls on them as well.

And yes the games have gotten tougher. GTO is king.

Thanks, I'll look some of those up. Where did everyone go from PokerStars? I don't see huge numbers at many other sites.

Edit: The Mike Postle stuff...first of all, what morons thought RFID tags in cards was a good idea? Second of all, why would you play superhuman like that if you're cheating? Just use it when it really matters, on close decisions for big pots. I can only imagine, even hope in a weird way, that there are other cheaters out there who are not stupid enough to make it that obvious all the time.

Last edited:
MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars isn't allowing lot of countries to play. Not sure, but guessing canada might be their biggest client these days. Few states here in the USA can get into money games. Those were the days, with FT and PS rolling heavy with traffic. Nice to be able withdraw right to an bank account as well. Those were the days!

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks, I'll look some of those up. Where did everyone go from PokerStars? I don't see huge numbers at many other sites.

I meant all of their poker pros. Not their overall numbers.

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars isn't allowing lot of countries to play. Not sure, but guessing Canada might be their biggest client these days. Few states here in the USA can get into money games. Those were the days, with FT and PS rolling heavy with traffic. Nice to be able withdraw right to an bank account as well. Those were the days!
As time goes on ,poker develops ,it becomes more difficult to get into prizes every day, and you need to work hard on the game

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am in the same situation as you. I have been playing poker for about 7 years. Then, for certain reasons, was absent for a long time. Of course, a lot has changed in the poker world. But the most important factor in returning to poker for me was that even today you can make good money playing your favorite game. If you were a professional who plays at high stakes, then most likely you would not leave poker. And this means that you played low and medium limits, at which fortunately not much has changed, except for the number of players online. Although even this factor is changing at the moment in connection with the situation with coronavirus. It is always necessary to adapt to conditions, but to do this with fundamental skills in the arsenal is not a problem. Therefore, adapt, play and win. Good luck at the poker tables.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't played poker in years. I pretty much stopped after the Full Tilt scandal because I couldn't play online anymore. I had some basic success in the 2000's during the boom, got to play in the WSOP one year, was about +30k overall, and probably would have done better if I wasn't dicking around so much so often ("Oh, it's okay that I'm indulging in playing games and stakes I know I shouldn't, because I'm learning").

Anyway, all I know is that serious games have gotten tougher, and that Hold 'Em is much more down to a science now. How much down to a science? Are you a losing player if you're playing like a 2000's player? It's partially a moot point, because I can't play cash in the US anyway...or can I?

I'm messing around with play money tournaments on PokerStars, which are unsurprisingly not at a high level, and planning to do some Freerolls as a way to get some cash on the site. I'm treating it like a challenge. I think PokerStars allows you to win cash, just not withdraw it, if you're a US player, is that correct?

So basically, if anyone is generous enough to give me a rundown on what I've missed being out of the loop for years, I'd be interested. Anything crazy happen with known pros? What are some of the refined strategies in Holdem? Thanks in advance.

US players can not win any money at PokerStars - we can only participate in play money games there - can't play in freerolls that pay out money.

Welcome back to the poker world!