Long Time Professional Feeling... Lost

B

blaqshiep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive made a living playing poker for over 12 years... at least thats what I say... I am for sure profitable over these past 12 years. 100-200k...

Let me be honest... For the past 6 years, I anywhere made or lost from -$1000 to +$1000... and played hours and hours a day. Ive had huge up swings but always seem to use very poor bankroll management and lose it all rather quickly. Im sure this is an issue for many people... Only, I used to be very good. I used to be disciplined, very creative and aware of images and patterns... Lately... It feels more like an addiction.

Anyone else go through this? Any advice to get back to the top of my game?

J

JBizFree

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't know what it feels like to be in your shoes. To me, it sounds like you need to take the time to step back and truly appreciate what you have in life. There are many people who would KILL to make the money you make. There are people who wish they had 2 arms to be able to type on a computer. Bro there are people absolutely begging to their god for just one more chance to wake up the next morning. A very wise man named Ice Cube once said: You better check yo self before you wreck yo self.

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive made a living playing poker for over 12 years... at least thats what I say... I am for sure profitable over these past 12 years. 100-200k...

Let me be honest... For the past 6 years, I anywhere made or lost from -$1000 to +$1000... and played hours and hours a day. Ive had huge up swings but always seem to use very poor bankroll management and lose it all rather quickly. Im sure this is an issue for many people... Only, I used to be very good. I used to be disciplined, very creative and aware of images and patterns... Lately... It feels more like an addiction.

Poker has shifted to being a Gbuck fueled EV grind that is pretty much nothing but no emotions and all math. The days of creativity seem to have vanished. I'm an almost 15+ year vet myself. I consider it Semi-pro because yes it has been profitable. But I have not ever taken it to a full time job. I found myself in your shoes a couple years ago. Realizing that these kids didn't care about my "strategy" or "creativity". Being able to read them like a book didn't help because they were always only in or out based on the percentages. There seems to be zero emotion in todays game.

Re-discipline yourself, dive deep into the math of poker and take the emotion out of the game imho.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Have you got other income besides poker?
200k over 12 years is not that much when factor in life expenses depending on where you live in the world of course.
Welfare in scandinavian countries probably higher lol joking.:D
Have earned Euro 650k working the last 12 years including a redundancy cheque 7 years ago separate to poker which is still just an eternal shot taking dream.
Say I have turned over or cashed for lot more than 200k in 12 years but buy ins costly so would not be profit that amount.
Reality is different to the dream.
Last 6 years not earning would have me at my wits end if no other income coming in to shake any losses off and keep paying the utilities.
Ensure you have other income besides poker would be my advice as variance swings in the high stakes are insane.
Keep grinding good luck.:)

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

i wish i was ever at able to play poker make a living
new to poker since May and have been study it very hard
i have met so many people, in forums, online, in twitch, even here locally who say they professional poker players .. wow!
then i find out they trying to sell me something, a book, a video, a program, coaching
i want to see their stats on sharkscope
nope hidden - change subject

statistics show very few online players are profitable 15%?...
ok then even fewer make enough money to live on, not need a job - professional poker player ... very rare... but i meet so many :)

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you find out, let me know. I used to cash out every other day pokerstars. Since Black Friday its been a challenge ever since. Bankroll Management is a big leak in my game, and no matter how good you are, youre gonna suck if you dont apply it.
Chris Furgeson said dat. and Then me..LOL

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips

Take a break and reevaluate your game, this will also tell you if you have an addiction.

Good luck.

:top:

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It may be cheaper to play tournament poker for a while. You'll get more bang for the buck and be able to assess whether or not your getting it in good more often than not.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What are you playing exactly because what you ultimately decide to play affects your variance highly. If your'e doing 9+k players pokerstar tourneys well there could be 12 years of variance with that much play goin deep for 24+ hours. Meaning variance killed you or you once were a winning player and was confident in it for years now the game kills you, and are you ready to admit that and get better?

You'd be really suprised whos behind these screennames on CardsChat.com
I've personally touched the sky and the sun burnt my wings off in the poker world.
Shoulda been the invite for the NBC National heads up championship at 20 years old, wasnt even variance that stopped that. #2 in Central Floridas ALL IN 50+ city LEAGUE
Even had my FULL share of walk home broke after the poker games many a foggy morning.
This game has blood on it. alotta tears and when you play something so profound a game as nl holdem which ties money emotions time and effort ego dreams and than add in a hefty amount of luck then to bleed and die to learn and get up again. Sounds like that 200k made you lose your drive and your ego wont let you learn what these kids are doing and create ways no poker player has though of yet.. to be the best.
but now your best isnt good enough due to whatever excuse variance better players, mabey lost your edge and drive what made you tick.

When I sit down at a live cash game table I dont smile because I'm focused and serious asf, Ive hit the dirt and made those walks and lost it all this isnt a game this is my life!
I'd love to teach you some gto if you already understand all strategy books out, + percents fold equity/implied odds reverse implied odds.
I can teach you understanding ranges and cbets on flop the lines of thought per street, understanding a pro/amatuer player and his react/plays and how they view you and how to alter the line of play using gathered information and understanding what the "pro strategy" weakness is. pro strat problem is implied odds and waiting for premiuim hands only.It limits you preflop and than from there your range is completely seethrough, you wont get paid off properly its either they fold to your flop bet or is drawing to better you, hero calls your 3x flop come 97 2 he donk bets 1/2 pot you than have to reraise your AA to 2.5-3x his donk bet of half and if he shoves over youre in pain and feel like u have to and think he could definitly do that with 108 or mabey a9 and you'll call but in reality no he wouldnt do that with openended or draw for he knows that you have AA and will most likely never fold he invests 3bb wins 150+ bb pot. and mathematically it was correct for the implied odds to call the 3x, with almost any hand and knowing your opponent will not be able to fold if you hit 2 pair 3 of a kind straight or oesfd also if you realize your opponents range starts leaning towards the low end due to how the flop plays, the same 38 might just bluff off AA if it goes 6789 or AA KK QQ AKAQ would check the turn as well and is an opportunity for your opponent to hit or bluff AA easily. Alotta bankrolls go bust due to AA
you must be unpredictable.
such as the cbet on the flop and then on the turn check which means we gave up hes prolly slowplaying us or we are worried in some way we are behind we check
VARIANCE FOR #1
we cbet 100% in position and than can check the turn inducing a bluff by a smart "PRO" and getting the stack all in, the pro uses math and will determine if he is pot commited versus my potential range and how I played the hand and his view of me at the time which in this case it is should be loose and most likely he will have a draw second pair or more draw but it doesn't matter we'll get value out of a floating hand that may have intended to try to bluff us and will get value from any draw that decided to shove all in semi-bluff

I like to raise with 28 off preflop 3x it gives equity to a hand that usually brings none at all
because I like to use my Premium hands to raise 3x with also
I use the same amount to bet with everytime
To me it is better to raise with 83 47 92 10 2 on the button and steal with these extremely weak hands and use hands like j9 87 kj a10 to defend sb or play in a pot with someone thats more weak post-flop than preflop but of course if the situation dictates a 60% steal rate always bet 3x.
people say do 2.2 or 2.5
If im trying to get you off a medium holding to give the BB a good folding range % raising 2.5x bb is not scaring him away from j9
you'd be suprised how much better the preflop steal rate and your opponents view of your range becomes when you 3x I fold a9 to a 3x preflop and then I raise with 82 preflop next hand in position. The Main Goal is to optimally eliminate as much luck as we can. no flips

The benefit is that all your pots will be bigger than normal you'l always hopefully have position and your opponents will always be at there own disadvantage using a strategy that rewards folding tight play ICM 3betting with ak
omg this raaant its so good and so hard to read im sorrey

I'm thinking about writing a book on a new form of poker strategy.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to change the style of the game or play other poker games to take a break from your regular games, or take a short break and then with new forces continue to play and raise your level of the game so that you can win again and raise normal amounts!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're not the only one with this problem. Many great players are faced with the fact that they are now playing "zero" or minus. Although ten years ago they were very successful players. Just poker has changed during this time, and they remain the same. Therefore, you should change your game taking into account the realities of the current poker. Good luck!

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Admit you have a problem. It sounds to me like you are only playing for the highs of winning and don’t really have any kind of plan for your income management. That’s one of the big signs of addiction.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Take a few moths...dont play and start over, but, no play al all. Later tray again.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should take a time off the tables to study the new strategies, maybe thats why you feel your best poker is gone,you need to recycle your game strategy.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play poker for 8-9 years. Sometimes, of course, I also have days when I am not lucky, but I do not worry, and usually I continue to play freerolls or tournaments with a minimum buy-in. You may need to take a short break.

B

blaqshiep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah to expand, i realize 200k in 12 years is nothing. I never even went into the HOURS and HOURS... relationships ignored... But in any case, most of that was made in the first 3-4 years. Last 6 years, ive won and lost and won and lost... Id say im up, but not much and nothing near worth my time.

I need stable income outside of poker and play it less, take a shot every once in awhile because im above average, but dont expect the results of yesteryear. Cut my time losses and move on to the next hussle.

Thanks for the comments guys

B

blaqshiep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you playing exactly because what you ultimately decide to play affects your variance highly. If your'e doing 9+k players pokerstar tourneys well there could be 12 years of variance with that much play goin deep for 24+ hours. Meaning variance killed you or you once were a winning player and was confident in it for years now the game kills you, and are you ready to admit that and get better?

You'd be really suprised whos behind these screennames on CardsChat.com
I've personally touched the sky and the sun burnt my wings off in the poker world.
Shoulda been the invite for the NBC National heads up championship at 20 years old, wasnt even variance that stopped that. #2 in Central Floridas ALL IN 50+ city LEAGUE
Even had my FULL share of walk home broke after the poker games many a foggy morning.
This game has blood on it. alotta tears and when you play something so profound a game as nl holdem which ties money emotions time and effort ego dreams and than add in a hefty amount of luck then to bleed and die to learn and get up again. Sounds like that 200k made you lose your drive and your ego wont let you learn what these kids are doing and create ways no poker player has though of yet.. to be the best.
but now your best isnt good enough due to whatever excuse variance better players, mabey lost your edge and drive what made you tick.

When I sit down at a live cash game table I dont smile because I'm focused and serious asf, Ive hit the dirt and made those walks and lost it all this isnt a game this is my life!
I'd love to teach you some gto if you already understand all strategy books out, + percents fold equity/implied odds reverse implied odds.
I can teach you understanding ranges and cbets on flop the lines of thought per street, understanding a pro/amatuer player and his react/plays and how they view you and how to alter the line of play using gathered information and understanding what the "pro strategy" weakness is. pro strat problem is implied odds and waiting for premiuim hands only.It limits you preflop and than from there your range is completely seethrough, you wont get paid off properly its either they fold to your flop bet or is drawing to better you, hero calls your 3x flop come 97 2 he donk bets 1/2 pot you than have to reraise your AA to 2.5-3x his donk bet of half and if he shoves over youre in pain and feel like u have to and think he could definitly do that with 108 or mabey a9 and you'll call but in reality no he wouldnt do that with openended or draw for he knows that you have AA and will most likely never fold he invests 3bb wins 150+ bb pot. and mathematically it was correct for the implied odds to call the 3x, with almost any hand and knowing your opponent will not be able to fold if you hit 2 pair 3 of a kind straight or oesfd also if you realize your opponents range starts leaning towards the low end due to how the flop plays, the same 38 might just bluff off AA if it goes 6789 or AA KK QQ AKAQ would check the turn as well and is an opportunity for your opponent to hit or bluff AA easily. Alotta bankrolls go bust due to AA
you must be unpredictable.
such as the cbet on the flop and then on the turn check which means we gave up hes prolly slowplaying us or we are worried in some way we are behind we check
VARIANCE FOR #1
we cbet 100% in position and than can check the turn inducing a bluff by a smart "PRO" and getting the stack all in, the pro uses math and will determine if he is pot commited versus my potential range and how I played the hand and his view of me at the time which in this case it is should be loose and most likely he will have a draw second pair or more draw but it doesn't matter we'll get value out of a floating hand that may have intended to try to bluff us and will get value from any draw that decided to shove all in semi-bluff

I like to raise with 28 off preflop 3x it gives equity to a hand that usually brings none at all
because I like to use my Premium hands to raise 3x with also
I use the same amount to bet with everytime
To me it is better to raise with 83 47 92 10 2 on the button and steal with these extremely weak hands and use hands like j9 87 kj a10 to defend sb or play in a pot with someone thats more weak post-flop than preflop but of course if the situation dictates a 60% steal rate always bet 3x.
people say do 2.2 or 2.5
If im trying to get you off a medium holding to give the BB a good folding range % raising 2.5x bb is not scaring him away from j9
you'd be suprised how much better the preflop steal rate and your opponents view of your range becomes when you 3x I fold a9 to a 3x preflop and then I raise with 82 preflop next hand in position. The Main Goal is to optimally eliminate as much luck as we can. no flips

The benefit is that all your pots will be bigger than normal you'l always hopefully have position and your opponents will always be at there own disadvantage using a strategy that rewards folding tight play ICM 3betting with ak
omg this raaant its so good and so hard to read im sorrey

I'm thinking about writing a book on a new form of poker strategy.

Beautifully written... And dead on. Im actually writing a non fiction/ fiction. Might be a new genre... In any case, i need a co writer. Where you from?

B

blaqshiep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't know what it feels like to be in your shoes. To me, it sounds like you need to take the time to step back and truly appreciate what you have in life. There are many people who would KILL to make the money you make. There are people who wish they had 2 arms to be able to type on a computer. Bro there are people absolutely begging to their god for just one more chance to wake up the next morning. A very wise man named Ice Cube once said: You better check yo self before you wreck yo self.

yeah... theres a lot on the other end of that scale though to complete the balance. I do appreciate your perspective, but i paid in "blood and tears" (As AKQ so eloquently put it).

It is time for a break though... Theres a lot of good aware people here... I need to keep coming back. LOL like an AA meeting...

B

blaqshiep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you got other income besides poker?
200k over 12 years is not that much when factor in life expenses depending on where you live in the world of course.
Welfare in scandinavian countries probably higher lol joking.:D
Have earned Euro 650k working the last 12 years including a redundancy cheque 7 years ago separate to poker which is still just an eternal shot taking dream.
Say I have turned over or cashed for lot more than 200k in 12 years but buy ins costly so would not be profit that amount.
Reality is different to the dream.
Last 6 years not earning would have me at my wits end if no other income coming in to shake any losses off and keep paying the utilities.
Ensure you have other income besides poker would be my advice as variance swings in the high stakes are insane.
Keep grinding good luck.:)
Good advice, thanks for taking the time bud. Best of luck to you as well.

B

blaqshiep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a few moths...dont play and start over, but, no play al all. Later tray again.

Yeah, in fact, just learned today, i have something much more important to go after. Good advice, thanks for taking the time.

B

blaqshiep

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are a member going on 3 years here and have 9 post. Greatest forum to learn poker, use it!

Amen!
*looks down in shame*

Sincerely though... I do feel, understood here... if that makes sense... lol

God bless

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i understand your issues, i have been in the same path for long way, you just have to keep trying and probably better results gonna happen

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe the skill that allowed you to win in the past is not enough for today's poker? I myself often lazy to analyze my game, and force myself to do it. Or maybe just no-limit hold'em is not for you. You can try to play Omaha Hi Lo for example, or horse.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should take a break of two weeks - it's best to go somewhere on vacation. If after returning - your game will not improve, you will be bored and pissed off it is time to find another job and treat poker with a hobby. Respect for your winnings - I play 10 years in a hobby and get a total profit of 15 k $ - not much, but enough for a holiday trip once a year. Good luck :icon_thum