Logic or intuition?

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson, lane Flack, and some other great players were intuitive geniuses, a kind of "artists at the poker table." They have the same natural sense of play and extraordinary ability to read their opponents that Stu Ungar had
(Alan Schoonmaker, Your Worst Poker Enemy).

It seems that you can study rules, strategies, money management and everything except intuition. It's something like a gift from nature.

Is it possible to play successfully with strategy and statistics skills while not having intuition? And how can you develop your intuition?

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online, I feel like any intuition is guided by logic in a way - say you've noticed something that an opponent has been doing. In person intuition is definitely more prevalent I would say

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think that the most successful players have successfully combined logic and intuition. I think that the development of a player's intuition should be based on his skills and experience. That is, the better your skills and experience, the better your intuition is developed.
Good luck.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that logic should be developed in itself and intuition is given by nature but in different ways and the ability to hear it

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you can play without intuition. most of the player dont have that. and i think intuition you have to be born with it. and dont think you can acquire.

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
live poker many times you get by intuition, online very difficult to develop intuition...

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that intuition can be learned, just like any other skill.
Some people might be more talented than others but i don't think
that you have or you have it not.

Basically "intuition" at the poker table is about reading body language.
There are really good courses to make you better at reading people. Some
pro players go as far as consulting professional profilers to learn more about
reading people. Be prepared to count how often your opponents breath, blink with their eyes
and track where they are looking at....

It's complicated but learnable. It's just another skill you have to master to become an outstanding poker player.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy these types of questions. In my opinion "intuition" is founded on nothing but logic. I understand the distinction you are trying to make. However, if you are a rational thinker, when you have a "feeling" about a spot or a player's holdings, that intuitive "feeling" is in fact derived from logical observations about likely ranges, player history, and your past playing experience

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that intuition is something innate in people, that you develop it in what you do, but only when you do not have the necessary information that the experience gives you, and it is generally used when we do not have information about what we are facing. The more information, experience and training we have or acquire, we leave intuition aside and give rise to logic.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think intuition matters more in live poker but logic is also important. Online, on the other hand, especially at the beginning of tournaments, rather the logic of the template panels work and only towards the end does the importance of intuition increase.

But both are always very important.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is possible to play successfully just by using these strategic skills but if great players have for years demonstrated an exceptional ability to read, it is because they have long understood the interest of following their intuition. Our brain records a lot of information at every moment, what we think is important is classified in memory, the others are kept deep in our unconscious without us noticing. This information is not lost because it happens that our brain returns it to us in a specific form: instinct!

to develop his intuition. You have to stay focused on the playing style of your opponents even when you have folded your hand. your brain has to get used to recording information that the conscious part of your brain has left behind. A way of standing, an imperceptible difference in the sizing of bets, a different way of advancing his chips in the middle, a detail that your subconscious has nevertheless recorded during the rare bluffs made in the past by this player and that he then renders.

on the other hand It is essential to make sure that it is your instinct that speaks and not any parasitic emotion, to consolidate it with a good old analysis of the unfolding of the stroke and of all the data before taking it into account . Once these precautions are taken, it will be time to benefit from the advice of this wonderful advisor.

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter how much I try to play in logic and mathematics, it’s bad to pump this skill; by intuition, it’s somehow more successful, but you still need to be able to listen to it.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
objectively, the logic and what to support when playing but having assertive intuition, raises your chances of success!

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker everything is important, and logic and intuition. You can 't neglect anything in your decision-making. Intuition is something that emerges from the experience of decision-making, even failed decisions.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If playing Omaha on the flop 789 and you have 10Q54 on your hands, then there is no need for intuition, knowing that it is good if it is for you or bad if it is for the opponent. I mean, in special cases, you don't really need it. I consider RANDOMNESS to be the most important criterion in Poker. And if on the flop J106 And you have AK and you go All in, I will consider you a fish. Yes, everything is good and logic and intuition. But don't forget about bankroll management))

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I believe that intuition come after a long time of play, practice and reading and understanding what your opponent is doing especially live poker, cause in their time there wasn't internet. It would be very interesting to see what doyle or stu would do now days in online poker.
Yes, you could be a good player with some strategies and some math skills but you have to adapt your play according to some factors like table dynamics, tournament stage, your image, opponent style...

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's kinda lime book smart vs street smart. You can learn a lot from a book but you have to live and learn from your mistakes to get better "intuition" .

Doyle Brunson, lane Flack, and some other great players were intuitive geniuses, a kind of "artists at the poker table." They have the same natural sense of play and extraordinary ability to read their opponents that Stu Ungar had
(Alan Schoonmaker, YourWorstPoker Enemy).

It seems that you can study rules, strategies, money management and everything except intuition. It's something like a gift from nature.

Is it possible to play successfully with strategy and statistics skills while not having intuition? And how can you develop your intuition?

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are players who play by logic.

There are players with intuition.

Some players are just experienced.

But the right game leading to victories will always be one, and what ways you go to it does not matter. Everyone chooses what suits them, but the main thing is to make the right decisions:)

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with knowledge and intuition is a hard way to walk.
If you are playing at low stakes and in some moment you are at the final table with 5$ buy in and the 1st place give you 800$+ then you will find yourself who much you know already, or on which level you are.
One mistake or miss read can cost you lot of money and spent hours of reaching the FT.
Now imagine you are in a exclusive 10K Buy in tour and you have a maybe once in a lifetime chance to grab it and get those sweet millions, that one missed call it "intuition" can cost you literally life changing.
You would tell to yourself : "how in the world I tough that he don't have the Ace."
Imagine waking up and having all that pressure for that one mistake, because you was thinking that he have nothing.
Its really depends what kind of person is making the decisions. If you have a lifetime opportunity to change your life than you must be very very careful, since there is a chance you would never get to that point again as a not pro player.
Those kind of people eating the tournaments with million of prizes have learned, a ton of experience through the years and they have made a lot of money from it.
Its not the same making 5$ buy in error or making 10K$ buy in error, if you lose you have only 100K$ left in the bank mayb and if they loose they still have 5Mill.
Therefore it really depends who is making the bluff and who is on another side to try to read it and make killing move.
I hope you understand my point of view.
Even playing years and hours into something doesn't make you better.
Some football players play 20 years and they never got on the level as C.Ronaldo for example.
In the nature there is always some alpha man who lead the tribe and have all the benefits, others are just his followers and listeners.
Maybe they got the Spirit in them, I don't like to mess up religion, but I will say something our God have said:
Blessed are the ones, who will not see it, but they believe.
So maybe we are not at that level yet, if there was everybody with that kind of gift the poker news, or every other will be full with thousands of people doing amazing things, instead there is just a few of it.
All the best members, believe in yourself.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, poker is a totally intuitive game, it is a game of observation and not interaction. But to achieve excellence I believe that you have to have a mixture of everything, skill and intuition, and you will acquire it with practice and experience.

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
intuition would be meaningless without having basic/advance skills and knowledge of statistics imo. even luck doesnt just occur out of nowhere. you have to have the skill to position yourself appropriately if luck is to have a chance.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Great question!
I think logic and a sound mathematical game can get you a very long way. Developing a GTO strategy has created a raft of top online pros in the last few years.
But intuition can be the difference between being a top pro and being world class. I think this is what sets the likes of Daniel Negreanu and Phil Ivey apart from mere mortals. Their ability to pay attention to what everyone at the table is doing and to process that in such a way that they can tell what or how all the other players at the table are doing is almost superhuman.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with one intuition it’s impossible to win all the time, you need a strategy and money management.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you cannot successfully apply intuition without having good practice and knowledge of poker.