Live Showdown Etiquette

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi CC,

I am currently an online Cash and Tournament grinder. Recently I've been playing in more Live tournaments and Ring games. As live games do not have automated showdowns I have 5 questions.

During a live Heads-Up Showdown situation:

1. Is it always the player who is out of position who shows their hand first?

For example: We are in a Heads-up pot on the River. I am in position with AKh and the board is [Qs 7h 2c 9d 4h]. My opponent bets half pot and I call with my Ace-High

2. Are they required to show their hand BEFORE I do?

3. In a multiway pot, does the showing of cards proceed in the same order as the betting does on each street?

For example: We are in a multiway pot on the River. I am on the Button with AKh and the board is [Qs 7h 2c 9d 4h]. The HJ bets half pot and the CO Calls. I call with my Ace-High.

4. Is the HJ required to show their hand first, then the CO, then me in that order?

5. Can you always muck without showing your hand?

Last edited:
R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought the last raiser shows first, then the normal order to muck or show better. Unless someone flips to show their great hand first.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you mean it is whoever has the initiative in the hand? Say you were the Preflop aggressor and you fired all 3 streets after that and I continue. If I re-raise you on the river, and you flat call me, then I now have the initiative and made the last raise. Does than mean I show first even though I have position on you?

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that's how it works. You show what you're betting then I have the option to muck.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like I check the bet to you as raiser last street I check the display of cards to the raiser in position. If the raiser is out of position I believe they show first and others have the option behind them.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(Please don't use all caps in thread titles)

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought the last Raiser shows first, then the normal order to muck or show better. Unless someone flips to show their great hand first.

Does the term 'Raiser' include initial bets and raises? For example, we go to the flop and I bet into you. Am I classed as a raiser just like someone who re-raises? I just want to be absolutely clear.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes the last bet initiator is how I interpret it.

This is based on what I've seen no rule book or guide.

When in the doubt I'm sure the dealer will prompt the correct person to show first.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thank you very much. So your answers to these questions would be:

1. Is it always the player who is out of position who shows their hand first?
Yes if they were the last person to bet or raise.

2. Are they required to show their hand BEFORE I do?
Only if you didn't re-raise them.

3. In a multiway pot, does the showing of cards proceed in the same order as the betting does on each street?

Yes if it was a bet and several calls with no raise.

4. Is the HJ required to show their hand first, then the CO, then me in that order?
Yes because the HJ bet first and got 2 calls.

5. Can you always muck without showing your hand?

Yes if you're in position and didn't raise.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Tournament: depends on the rules of the tournament. Many tourneys (WPT events for one) require all hands to be shown at showdown. Order doesn't matter, it is a matter of "show the hands so we can deal another!".

Cash: If you think you have a winner, SHOW IT!

Reluctance should be met with the dealer forcing the LAST raiser to show first. If there was no betting on the River, It's up to the winner to show his hand - the dealer will say something like "OK, someone show me a winner".

Any time it goes to showdown, any player at the table can ask to see the hands. This is an unusual (and annoying) request that usually results in the floor being called and general disdain for the player asking - but it can be done.

Note: Live poker is NOT online poker. You are seated with real people who carry out real life actions while looking at each other. The dealer is not software that acts automatically. The players are partially responsible for flow of the game. The dealer facilitates that. He or she does not tell everyone what to do at every action for every player (imagine what that would be like!). Show your winners and don't slow roll - it's really quite simple.

Individual card rooms may vary from this form - it's always best to ask at the venue.

Last edited:
N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found article in pokernews which explains it quite clearly. Here is a quote from it:

If there was no betting on the last street, the procedure is blessedly simple. The showdown goes in the same order as all other actions, starting left of the button and proceeding clockwise to the button. The first player still holding live cards turns them face up. Then each subsequent player can, in turn, put his own cards face up, or, if he sees that he is not the winner, just pass them back to the dealer face down.
However, if there was betting on the last street, this all changes. In that situation, the last player to take an aggressive action — defined as either betting or raising — is obligated to reveal his cards first. Then the showdown proceeds around the table clockwise from his position, without regard to where the button is. As in the previous paragraph, each player in turn can choose to show his cards or just muck them.

Here is the whole article - https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/the-showdown-rules-procedures-and-etiquette-19237.htm

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whoever got called shows their hand first.
Then the next player can show their hand if it is better, or just muck it.
and so on until everyone in the hand either showed or mucked.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found article in pokernews which explains it quite clearly. Here is a quote from it:

If there was no betting on the last street, the procedure is blessedly simple. The showdown goes in the same order as all other actions, starting left of the button and proceeding clockwise to the button. The first player still holding live cards turns them face up. Then each subsequent player can, in turn, put his own cards face up, or, if he sees that he is not the winner, just pass them back to the dealer face down.
However, if there was betting on the last street, this all changes. In that situation, the last player to take an aggressive action — defined as either betting or raising — is obligated to reveal his cards first. Then the showdown proceeds around the table clockwise from his position, without regard to where the button is. As in the previous paragraph, each player in turn can choose to show his cards or just muck them.

Here is the whole article - https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/the-showdown-rules-procedures-and-etiquette-19237.htm

Thanks very much for this and all other replies. Has cleared this up nicely for me. Would still like to hear from others too. Maybe with some stories from games of this in action? It makes practical sense to me that the aggressor should show first. After all their betting is saying "I have a better hand than yours", it only seems fair.

Last edited:
Organize a Home Poker Game