Life Roll VS Bankroll

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, I have been thinking a lot lately about bankroll management and trying to really move my way up in stakes. I have both a life roll and a bankroll. However, I use portions of my bankroll to help out with bills and other random "life" situations that I need cash for. If you have a job which means a steady inflow of money do you "need" a bankroll for poker or could you just use your disposable income to bankroll you in poker. Or should I focus more on keeping these two rolls separate from one another like I do now, without tapping in for help all the time?

Would love to hear about how you all go about your poker journey.

F

FailX21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would keep the two separate. That way you don't risk your life money, the money you actually need to live. And if you are a winning player, you can either cash out the money you won to help you in your daily life or keep that money in your bankroll to build a good enough bankroll to try to go play at higher stakes. You can also do a bit of both.
That's how I would do it.

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am so bad at maintaining my bankroll for poker...i wish so bad i i could be better...im at the point where it comes and goes...sometimes ill be up.and have 2-3-400+ bankroll then like a damn idiot i blow through it all in one night making terrible decisions or not stopping when i should...i i ally need help with BR management lol

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am so bad at maintaining my bankroll for poker...i wish so bad i i could be better...im at the point where it comes and goes...sometimes ill be up.and have 2-3-400+ bankroll then like a damn idiot i blow through it all in one night making terrible decisions or not stopping when i should...i i ally need help with BR management lol

I do not take my entire BR with me.
I only take what I am willing to lose on that session.
This keeps me from doing exactly what you are doing.

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey i am trying to keep my bank rolls also i am at zero right now i got a good reason to save now

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a long time I tried to build my poker BR from scratch starting with online freerolls and hoping to eventually cash out enough to start playing live on a regular basis.

Last year I caved and started using my life roll to play live and just treated it purely as a hobby. And now I've stopped following BR management online. So, you probably don't want to follow my example.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Withdraw money from poker - of course yes , but depositing money to poker just only when you zero on the account poker. Of course, it is better to avoid this and go to lower stakes according to BM. Good luck ;)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I adhere to a certain system. For example, I can not spend more than $ 5 a day. Usually, the money I win in poker, I use for sports betting.

J

Jkendrick888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I have been thinking a lot lately about bankroll management and trying to really move my way up in stakes. I have both a life roll and a bankroll. However, I use portions of my bankroll to help out with bills and other random "life" situations that I need cash for. If you have a job which means a steady inflow of money do you "need" a bankroll for poker or could you just use your disposable income to bankroll you in poker. Or should I focus more on keeping these two rolls separate from one another like I do now, without tapping in for help all the time?

I would keep them separate. I would take from poker bank roll when needed. But not let them become one thing. Lets say you go on a huge down swing which i have for like 10k you dont want that going into your life roll.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a long time I tried to build my poker BR from scratch starting with online freerolls and hoping to eventually cash out enough to start playing live on a regular basis.

Last year I caved and started using my life roll to play live and just treated it purely as a hobby. And now I've stopped following BR management online. So, you probably don't want to follow my example.

Yea that’s usually what happens, I try and follow bankroll management but get frustrated if I lose 2-3 buy ins on microstakes , and I know that I can “afford” higher stakes and can go there and win my losses back much faster. What I’ve figured out though is a I have a losing mentality about poker if I’m not consistently crushing micros then moving up I’ll only lose more. So I’m just going to keep bankroll and liferoll separate while studying and following strict bankroll management until I can consistently crush micros and move up the proper way.

P

petalms2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I most keep them separate at all times. That way I really know where I'm at with my winnings.

L

LuckyRamen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm no expert but in life my "liferoll" is pretty strict. So I'll go through each thing you said.

You use portions of your bankroll to cover life situations. My first question is do you have an income outside of poker? If you do...does it cover your monthly bills? (rent, mortgage, phone, etc, etc)

Do you "need a bankroll" when you have disposable income? That answer really depends on what your budgets are each month. If you have $400 left each month after EVERY expense, food, gas, utilities, rent, debts, eating out, etc, etc, etc. Then setting aside a few hundred dollars a month for poker isn't an issue. But then part of me thinks...because you're asking. Your budget/personal finance skills need some work.

Should the two bankrolls be kept separate? Of course. You dont spend money you need to eat...to play poker. Its that simple.

Personal Finances are import.

Income - Expenses = Money to budget towards EXTRA stuff.

Expenses are Rent. taxes, mortgage, credit cards, water, gas, phone, internet, etc etc.

If you have debt. Mortgage, car, loans, credit cards. PAY IT OFF. Imagine not having to spend that much money a month?

Budget for the rest of your life. Fun. Eating out. Bars, Poker. Whatever your things are you enjoy. Personal finances dont mean not enjoying yourself. It means not putting yourself in a situation that ****s you over.

"its too hard to save" or "its too hard to pay off debts" is BULLSHIT. Anyone can do it in any situation. You have to be dedicated enough to complete it. But that is a whole other topic.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm no expert but in life my "liferoll" is pretty strict. So I'll go through each thing you said.

You use portions of your bankroll to cover life situations. My first question is do you have an income outside of poker? If you do...does it cover your monthly bills? (rent, mortgage, phone, etc, etc)

Do you "need a bankroll" when you have disposable income? That answer really depends on what your budgets are each month. If you have $400 left each month after EVERY expense, food, gas, utilities, rent, debts, eating out, etc, etc, etc. Then setting aside a few hundred dollars a month for poker isn't an issue. But then part of me thinks...because you're asking. Your budget/personal finance skills need some work.

Should the two bankrolls be kept separate? Of course. You dont spend money you need to eat...to play poker. Its that simple.

Personal Finances are import.

Income - Expenses = Money to budget towards EXTRA stuff.

Expenses are Rent. taxes, mortgage, credit cards, water, gas, phone, internet, etc etc.

If you have debt. Mortgage, car, loans, credit cards. PAY IT OFF. Imagine not having to spend that much money a month?

Budget for the rest of your life. Fun. Eating out. Bars, Poker. Whatever your things are you enjoy. Personal finances dont mean not enjoying yourself. It means not putting yourself in a situation that ****s you over.

"its too hard to save" or "its too hard to pay off debts" is BULLSHIT. Anyone can do it in any situation. You have to be dedicated enough to complete it. But that is a whole other topic.

I appreciate this response. To answer your first question yes. My job pays well. It covers all my bills. I think my main problem was a bankroll management problem. I would play “WAY” to high of stakes while only being a break even/ losing player at lower stakes.

P

PokerWahoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep the two separate. However, if you have disposable income, you do not need to follow conservative bankroll management. Just remember that if you bust the bankroll, don't gamble with money you can't lose. Wait to "deposit" to the poker bankroll again

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I kind of know what he is talking about, at least with the working live roll. A lot of us do live pay check to pay check weather it pays our bills or not. Some times we do get a chance to play poker and lets say hey we bink one and win a few hundred. Now we start thinking ok this is my live roll. You keep working you play a little more now that you have some thing to play with then boom life happens. Car breaks down, washer breaks, you get sick and miss a couple days of work. Poof, there goes that live bankroll you had.

This is going to be the case for most of us most of the time, not too many people are in a position to work full time and commit the time and effort needed to be a continuous winning player it is EXHAUSTING. That is why most players are labeled recreation players and will play when the time and money present itself.

Winning consistently and winning enough to actually provide yourself an income takes work. It is a commitment just like a job and requires you to treat it as such. If you are not on that level then just play it for fun man and enjoy the binks when they come. Then, do something nice with the money that you will enjoy, (or pay off a bill) instead of stressing yourself about the money management part of it.

:2d4::3d4:

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I kind of know what he is talking about, at least with the working live roll. A lot of us do live pay check to pay check weather it pays our bills or not. Some times we do get a chance to play poker and lets say hey we bink one and win a few hundred. Now we start thinking ok this is my live roll. You keep working you play a little more now that you have some thing to play with then boom life happens. Car breaks down, washer breaks, you get sick and miss a couple days of work. Poof, there goes that live bankroll you had.

This is going to be the case for most of us most of the time, not too many people are in a position to work full time and commit the time and effort needed to be a continuous winning player it is EXHAUSTING. That is why most players are labeled recreation players and will play when the time and money present itself.

Winning consistently and winning enough to actually provide yourself an income takes work. It is a commitment just like a job and requires you to treat it as such. If you are not on that level then just play it for fun man and enjoy the binks when they come. Then, do something nice with the money that you will enjoy, (or pay off a bill) instead of stressing yourself about the money management part of it.

:2d4::3d4:

I appreciate that! Pretty much what I’m doing. I still am putting as much time as I can into studying, and trying to get better in every aspect of life. I use a lot of what I learn in poker in my life as well. I like being able to talk to people that have the same thoughts and going through the same things

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I put targets in poker and when I withdrew I did it considering my targets and not harming them!

L

LuckyRamen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate this response. To answer your first question yes. My job pays well. It covers all my bills. I think my main problem was a bankroll management problem. I would play “WAY” to high of stakes while only being a break even/ losing player at lower stakes.
Sorry. I wasnt trying imply money was an issue. Just how its viewed.

But at least you know your issue! You play a higher stakes than your bankroll allows.

You can always add money to your bankroll each week/paycheck/month so that it can support higher limits. Just never do that to the point you need pull from it for normal life stuff.

Theres a lot of good articles/videos out there on what solid BRM is. Pick one and stick to what ever guidelines you set for yourself.

I dont believe your bankroll can only grow from winning. That seems like a silly viewpoint. But if you're adding to your bankroll consistently and you're losing it consistently you need to evaluate your game.

Take some time to reflect on your game. Figure out what you could be doing better at...or stop doing. Then work on it at lower stakes until it's part of your game. Reevaluate and move up.

"Limits" are just numbers. They dont change how good or bad you are as a player. Better to learn at limits you can afford.

But also understand "the game" changes at different limits and so you have to adjust to that accordingly.

L

LuckyRamen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate that! Pretty much what I’m doing. I still am putting as much time as I can into studying, and trying to get better in every aspect of life. I use a lot of what I learn in poker in my life as well. I like being able to talk to people that have the same thoughts and going through the same things
Having been in the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. Its easier for me to look back and say now...how important getting that part taken care of...was.

I was prioritizing other things(poker could be an example) and was preventing me from being in the best situation I could be in life. And as much as I understand your viewpoints of life getting in the way and doing the best with what you have. Most people just...arent actually doing the best they can.

How much money you make is not an important factor. Making the best choices with what you have is. And if you're 100% honest with yourself and all the choices you make in life. And they're all "good" then bankroll/liferoll could really just be a "it happens some times".

BRM or LRM(for the sake of this thread) shouldnt be stressful if you have a plan that works.

I know that I might seem blunt about it. Or that its excuses. But I'm saying from the perspective of "Ive been there". Said the same thing. Did the same thing. Had the same reasons. And I was fooling myself. I'm also really passionate about living where your are no longer in debt. Because it puts a huge strain on your life and relationships. So...I'm sorry if I'm coming across poorly. I mean it in the most positive of ways. And believe every person is capable of getting to that position.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry. I wasnt trying imply money was an issue. Just how its viewed.

But at least you know your issue! You play a higher stakes than your bankroll allows.

You can always add money to your bankroll each week/paycheck/month so that it can support higher limits. Just never do that to the point you need pull from it for normal life stuff.

Theres a lot of good articles/videos out there on what solid BRM is. Pick one and stick to what ever guidelines you set for yourself.

I dont believe your bankroll can only grow from winning. That seems like a silly viewpoint. But if you're adding to your bankroll consistently and you're losing it consistently you need to evaluate your game.

Take some time to reflect on your game. Figure out what you could be doing better at...or stop doing. Then work on it at lower stakes until it's part of your game. Reevaluate and move up.

"Limits" are just numbers. They dont change how good or bad you are as a player. Better to learn at limits you can afford.

But also understand "the game" changes at different limits and so you have to adjust to that accordingly.

This is a very solid reply! I agree with everything you said. Thank you for the time you put in each message. Greatly appreciated.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having been in the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. Its easier for me to look back and say now...how important getting that part taken care of...was.

I was prioritizing other things(poker could be an example) and was preventing me from being in the best situation I could be in life. And as much as I understand your viewpoints of life getting in the way and doing the best with what you have. Most people just...arent actually doing the best they can.

How much money you make is not an important factor. Making the best choices with what you have is. And if you're 100% honest with yourself and all the choices you make in life. And they're all "good" then bankroll/liferoll could really just be a "it happens some times".

BRM or LRM(for the sake of this thread) shouldnt be stressful if you have a plan that works.

I know that I might seem blunt about it. Or that its excuses. But I'm saying from the perspective of "Ive been there". Said the same thing. Did the same thing. Had the same reasons. And I was fooling myself. I'm also really passionate about living where your are no longer in debt. Because it puts a huge strain on your life and relationships. So...I'm sorry if I'm coming across poorly. I mean it in the most positive of ways. And believe every person is capable of getting to that position.

No, I appreciate your bluntness and it’s a great point! That I hope many people can learn from, especially in the Poker world. I know so many people that struggle with “priorities” again thank you for the time put into each message, and again very solid points.

Ivan Pasha

Ivan Pasha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker game of the rich and adventurous

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would keep the two separate. That way you don't risk your life money, the money you actually need to live. And if you are a winning player, you can either cash out the money you won to help you in your daily life or keep that money in your bankroll to build a good enough bankroll to try to go play at higher stakes. You can also do a bit of both.
That's how I would do it.

I completely agree with with what this guy said! Keep it separate and keep building on it as well as the stakes as you increase your bank!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips

I think the previous posters have fully covered your topic and I tried to read everything before posting. Playing higher limits is something you can do but be sure you are not struggling. You should have a good grasp of the higher limit dynamics before you move on.

You can redeposit but always keep track of your overall balance how +/- you are.If your poker roll is a leak for your life roll then I think you should reassess the situation.

I agree with the common opinion here that is a must separate your two rolls.If you feel that you play with scared money or you don't have the skill to follow the higher limits or you don't understand which is the thought process I feel is mandatory to drop stakes study even harder and resume when you will be more prepared.

By having the priority that poker is one of your hobbies and not a way of earning money, may bring you more bucks. :)

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To my regret at the moment, I can not work ... For this I try to make some money on betting or poker but also not very ...

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management