Life is a game

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a friend who was so carried away by poker everyday life that I can say I lost him.
He has one answer to any offer - I will have a tournament, or I play, I have no time. It doesn't matter where you turn him. Go to a party, drink a beer, go snowboarding, play football. He's not interested in anything. Tournament. Game. Money. All. :confused:
To be honest, I was extremely surprised by this policy. I don't know what to do. Wait? Or somehow push. This behavior is clearly not normal. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? Can you tell me how to solve it?

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Used to have a friend like that - when he had an interest it was all or nothing. Might have had a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Often it was fishing, and you cannot do that all the time, whereas with poker, you can..

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a friend who was so carried away by poker everyday life that I can say I lost him.
He has one answer to any offer - I will have a tournament, or I play, I have no time. It doesn't matter where you turn him. Go to a party, drink a beer, go snowboarding, play football. He's not interested in anything. Tournament. Game. Money. All. :confused:
To be honest, I was extremely surprised by this policy. I don't know what to do. Wait? Or somehow push. This behavior is clearly not normal. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? Can you tell me how to solve it?
Good afternoon! I had a similar problem, but there was no friend, but a relative and not poker, but slot machines. The state helped me by banning gambling, I am from Russia. It will work out to limit your friend, try to interest him in something interesting and distract him. Sergei

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it really depends if hes winning or not. If hes winning and it is kind of his job its his choice. Lots of people spend their lives working and sleeping nothing else. If hes losing though its probably better to make sure he gets in the right mindset and not to waste more money trying to get it all back.

Vadim_King

Vadim_King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are definitely a good friend, since you are asking such important questions here. I think everything is very individual, but your friend is clearly not aware that he is addicted to gambling and that is why he refuses the rest of his life. He needs to rethink life priorities. In any case, he definitely needs your support and help, but not criticism. If he is so keen on the game, then offer him a challenge, but only in the real world. There can be many ideas, sports, self-development, earnings, travel, etc. Challenge him! And remind him more often that friendship is one of the most important things in our life! GL ;)

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be determined, involve him in your programs, and try to inform him in advance to have time to get ready for it. Cause he is struggleing a little bit right now, fighting for himself, and doesn't find the meaning of the life, that's why he doesn't pay attention for you, just standing in his protective circle.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

To start the game detonating, press the following sequence on the control cursor on the presentation screen: down, up, left, left, button A, right and down.

This brings up "Cheat Enabled", an options screen where you have the option to unlock a private therapist. :rolleyes:

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is such an interesting and unpredictable game that for some people it can become the meaning of life for a short time. I hope that not always, but only while you are learning to play and begin to understand this game. Then you play less, do not play everything and think more.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People go thru stages in their lives,,this is just another one.Keep being a good friend and he will come back around. :)

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]I think this friend of yours has no other way, he is completely experienced in the game and just an internment to try to get this addiction out of him.[/COLOR]​

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If they are lost, by the sound of it, probably playing poker. Might look there, just saying. Seriously though, people will only change when they are motivated too. When, where and why, will only make sense to them when something motivates them. All they hear is what they want to, until one day it sinks in.

Last edited:
oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave him to enjoy his choice in life,beer costs money ,snowboarding costs money,both can be dangerous.Gambling costs money but online poker is good fun that can be enjoyed around the clock for little or no cost.Or maybe he just enjoys removing himself from the world like me,because everyone expects you to be something for them because thats the path they chose instead of fighting:rock:eek:r maybe by the time they realize all that glitters is not gold it will be too late.We are all products of our own life experiences,why try to force anyone into anything if they are happy enough doing what they enjoy?
Or heres a real twister for ya,how about helping him to become successful at poker...as in ,mindset,surroundings,staying positive...maybe there are things you could do to help your friend.Do you know how gutting it is to have hours and hours of work stolen away every day of your life,i do ,and it only makes me more determined..some people are workaholics,they love it,do you feel the need to change them...i guess im saying u may be a good friend but maybe your priorities are wrong also...who is to say right?

Last edited:
U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Thats the way I used to feel until I won enough to get my chance at a labor job. I don't know if thats the goal but it was what some wanted. Well after my pokerstars run and healing process, poker can really take a lot out of you, I am trying to work with the government to get my job situation finalized.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If a person has found an occupation that is interesting to him, why bother him?

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe if you play as well offer to schedule a tourney with them, in return they can spare some time for other events. I would not make to much of it. Let it runs its coarse, as a real friend you will still be there when they turn to you for friendship other than poker.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
He must put measure in this activity. Breaks are needed and normal living too. Exaggerations won`t have good results. He will be psycologicaly tired and act like Sisifou's martyrdom! He must be carefull of his psycological and body health too.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wait a minute, I thought life was a highway...

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometime people go through different fazes that become addicting. If it has been a long period in there life where it is changing them for the worst, then I would say be honest with that person and tell them how you feel and how you think it is hurting them and your friendship . If that doesn't work it might be out of your league and time to call in some support. :O) Hope things work out, and keep up the good work the world is better with people who care for one another.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Replacing activities one used to enjoy with poker is a clear sign of addiction. In my opinion, however, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
If your friend is making money out of poker and wants to become a top pro one day, that type of focus is good even though it is a result of addiction. All the poker greats spent hours and hours playing poker, neglecting many times their friends and significant others.

But that scenario is the exception, the rule is that for most people being addicted to poker is a bad thing, in my humble opinion.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

your buddy is enthusiastic and what seems a bit ocd which can get way out of control but in many cases its a new interest ,and may mellow with time as long as its not interrupting his living and earning obligations.keep in contact with him and you will be able to make good observations on his direction.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe your friend is happy doing what he's doing. Live and let live and don't be the judge and juror of your friend's happiness. He might very well feel that the activities that other people enjoy are a drag. Different strokes for different folks. "Normal" is a subjective thing.

wildwildwes

wildwildwes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What’s the age? If he’s retired he probably deserves it. But if he not an young buck an living off the winning then you need to encourage him. Because the way the younger generation is now he’s right where he needs to be

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

if he wins good money in poker then this is very good, I have several friends who are addicted to poker but get good results in + on poker and I think this is normal, and if he doesn’t win much and does not get good profit in the game, then this bad, I agree with many participants that it needs to be distracted by something interesting or it will lead to even more problems and it will need to be taken to doctors from gambling!

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all for your answers. And Yes! Perhaps should give the opportunity to realize yourself.
In any case, attempts to distract will be made. Although not as often as now. And as you correctly noted above, really need to agree in advance. To exclude the possibility of checking game events for this day. Maybe this will work

Top 10 Games