Lets Talk About LUCK !!!

D

Dingospo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't play poker for almost two years because of my work and I am hopping that luck will be with me ;)

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is needed all the way in a long tournament seems some times that luck makes you make it to the final table, or that if it wasn't for it you had not make it far enough. Have you though about how lucky you got in some spots of the tournament along the way, and you end up winning or loosing to bad luck.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Oh, fellows, lets forget about luck and think about something valuable. What really useful is to go throw all 4 levels from unconscious incompetence -> conscious incompetence -> conscious competence -> to unconscious competence. And it's not just about poker, this applies to almost every aspect of our activities. Off course, this post could be much bigger but sadly I'm a lazy person and you can google the rest and find related articles and books. :)

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think anybody is entitled to talk about luck more than me - I am having my second year of bad beats.
I am so down I am even returning back to emergency measures - such as playing CC freerolls to boost my bankroll/to play for free - just to see if cards will start to fall normal again.

pac818man

pac818man

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LUCK???

Luck is an illusion our feeble brains invented to explain things we do not or refuse to understand. The most important two words to keep in mind when playing poker are " SH!T HAPPENS" The challenge is to not get affected after being eliminated on the bubble after playing 5+ hours AA vs 33. :D

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In my opinion having Luck is Essential to be a winner, lets talk about experiences, definitions, ways to call it, and ways to deal and manage it.. :icon_cycl

I think this could be very interesting and we can try others people methods they share..

You mention ways to 'call it' and 'manage it'.

I'm interested as to what you mean by that..?

Luck or variance is (unfortunately) out of our control and therefore limiting in regards what we can do about it.

I remember reading a thread on the forum, it was regarding spin & go games, and someone mentioned (sorry I forget who you are and it'd probably take me at least a week to find the specific post) that they felt after the first few spin & go games of the day you could get an idea of how you were going to run that day (it might have been Joeisi[?]).

Perhaps if you were looking to 'manage' the luck element of your game, you could run a litmus protocol involving starting every session with 3-5 spin & go games and depending on how you run, continue or discontinue the session? :D

Personally, three or four years into playing 'seriously', I'm very happy with almost every element of my poker journey of which I have control.

Luck or variance is not within my control and I would do well to remember that more often.

Occasionally I get very lucky (I remember catching a case king on the river once to get me out of a sticky all-in at-risk situation) but most of the time I seem to be extremely unlucky (getting it all-in pre with AA v AKo in a $500k gtd WCOOP event after beating a field of 38,000+ to qualify only for the flop to run out QTJ).

I think it's far more constructive to focus on analysis, studying, keeping emotionally balanced and healthy rather than to try to dissect chance itself.

Probability is more mathematical than luck.

We don't even have a scientific scale for luck. When we do, I hope it named after me and my infamous lack of it.

It could be called the 'Tracid Luck Scale', perhaps running from 0-10 (seems traditional) with an eleven-rating reserved for people playing against me at key moments... :eek:

Big love.

D

Dyosan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that luck is overused) both bad luck and good luck. In most cases it is just a statistics. Even if your chances are 0,2% to win the pot you might still get that 0,2% realized. And most will say that it is luck.
I would say that right now poker is becoming more and more sophisticated. And as a result most players don’t get too much into the advanced theoretical base. And they rely heavily on luck. While those who do “their homework” have advantage in the long run over those who don’t.

xxxSSSxxx

xxxSSSxxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that luck has a big part in making one player great. that filling to go in hand with 7 - 5 suited against two aces and win. Of course, you have to know what are you doing.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in poker luck has a positive correlation with the speed of the game. so in slow tournaments you have less exposition to luck but you could spend a life playing in that format.
honestly i prefer to play faster games because is really stressing to play more that hours in a game or even worse... to play more that 3 hours to finish out of money.

35marlin

35marlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck?

In my opinion having Luck is Essential to be a winner, lets talk about experiences, definitions, ways to call it, and ways to deal and manage it.. :icon_cycl

I think this could be very interesting and we can try others people methods they share..

Sometimes you need to make your own luck

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thoughts materialize. Often you think right now the opponent will get the right card, and bang-it! You need to work a lot on psychology, then there won’t be a conversation about luck

A

ats272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top poker players are successful not because of luck.Luck is one of the components of the game but not the main one,otherwise it would be called roulette.The desire to improve game,combine styles,be able to calculate rivals,patience,unpredictability,all this hones the skills and gives the necessary experience to become a strong player.I'm still far from all of the above and luck has turned its back on me.But i am patient and confident that there will be a qualitative breakthrough in my game.Good luck to everyone,meet at the table!

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Luck, fortune, lady fortune, and so on, are all in the realm of superstition. In poker, you need to be cool in your decision-making.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask the most successful pros

You will have your answer when the pros tell you how important luck was to their success.
Luck is big in poker.

Baba Orielly

Baba Orielly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BabaOrielly

It's almost impossible to win without good cards no matter what kind of skill you have. Good luck has made millions for many, some played poker. I always see how the luck is by playing a few games. If it's good, I'll invest and play until it runs out. Good luck will give you the cards you need to win, just look for that lucky day. We all get one once in a while.:hmmmm:

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is part of poker and you can’t deniel that

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Luck or bad beats or "running bad" is an excuse bad/losing players use to justify why it is they are losing over long stretches of time.

Everyone runs like shit every now and then. Sometimes for long stretches of games. But after a large sample, if you are a still losing money, then you are in fact a losing player.

Good winning regs push through rough patches and come out on the other side up money. Bad players go busto in the same stretch and complain to everyone how bad they have run, and all the bad beats and how variance is killing them right now.

Then you get the other side of that. A terrible player runs hot for a few weeks or a month and thinks they are the best player in the game, only to crash and burn when the variance equalizes and comes back towards the mean.

Luck plays very little in the long term. Short term- yes luck can win you a tourney or big score, but luck is short lived and skill rises to the top before its said and done.

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think luck is a big factor in the game, more so for people who dont play often. For winnig regulars with solid bankroll managment its still a factor but not the most important one.

pac818man

pac818man

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In a large enough sample size, luck will be a minimal factor towards the winning percentage. If you rely on luck to improve your winning percentage then you're in trouble.

harryp

harryp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, you make your own luck and everything is patience.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The luck factor. This is what is called the impact on the result in poker. It all depends on how much you play. In one hand, luck matters a lot, but if you play a million hands, its impact on your win rate will be negligible. In addition, the importance of luck depends on the type of poker you play, your style of play, advantage over opponents and a number of other factors. If someone tells you a certain percentage (for example, say that in poker everything depends on luck by 70%), feel free to send it away, because this person has no idea what he is talking about.

The only important thing about luck in poker is that if luck didn't play a role, the fish would simply not play, because it is luck that gives them the opportunity to win from time to time. And players of average strength would be less interesting, because they could not write off their mediocre results on bad luck. They blame their failures on bad players, the dealer, fate, and anything but themselves and their nondescript poker skills.

S

Skillstone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Depending on how you look at it, luck can be just an excuse for poor performance. Of course, you can have favourable and negative streaks, which you can brand as lucky/unlucky but you should understand that on the long run you'll be having just as much luck as anybody else there.
Also, it's proven that people tend to remember mostly bad experiences, so try to write down or remember your "lucky" moments too.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe the poker sites will decide the outcome of a hand. Based on amount paid in rake. It's one of those algorithm things. No one can prove it or disprove it. But I always had more success after a deposit, and less when I withdraw. That is my opinion and some will say I'm stupid, which is also probably true.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let's talk some more about luck. Player 1 gets stacked by Player 2 on the river. Player 1 smiles, skips a turn, and then shoves about 40bb with K9s into a raise. How many times do you see this run out well for Player 1 as opposed to anyone else who calls at the table? How is that luck?