Let's discuss the importance of luck in poker

C

Cloxy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is sad but I think that the fortune has a very big weight in poker. For example, these situations when a lucky player has only 2-3 outs on the river and then is getting his card. I wish I would have changed the rules to stop the game on the turn and gave the bank to better hand in this kind of situations)) It would be fair

Last edited by a moderator:
mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck in poker is an important factor (by the way in life too). But it seems to me patience, the desire to learn all the subtleties of the game and the willingness to spend a huge amount of time on training are more important than luck. There are downswings, annoying defeats, but I would not change the rules. You just need to consider their probability.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Cloxy ;

Luck is also part of the game , but on long run skill is much much more important !
Imagine every time they had 3 outs they need to hit on river in order to win pot ... U would win so much freaking money over time , u wouldn't know what to do with it !!! But sadly , thats not the case , those spots are rare , at least for me ; They have like 6% every time this happens, and I would sign that deal every time , LOL , so mathematically u lose 1 in 15 or so ... I love those spots ;) Keep your heads up , make sure you have adequate bankroll for game you're playing (or move down the limits), and those short terms pushes with 6% will pay off , guaranteed ! ;)

Good luck

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck can certainly have a big influence on the outcomes in the short term. This is why so many amateurs love tournaments. In a single night, anything can happen and you often see quite a few mediocre players cashing in them. Sure, when you have a bad luck streak and your big pairs are getting beaten by people hitting their sets or 2-pair hands, it hurts a lot. Don't forget that we tend to remember these "bad beats" a lot more than when we get the expected win. If you take a big enough sample, you are guaranteed to get some bad runs in there. In the long term, good decision making will still win out.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
luck counts for 20% in the first parts of a tournament against cons at the end of the game, it accounts for 60%. which means that you have to eat several flip to hope to make big gains. the cash game when it goes in all directions and I lose all my shots. I do not even try to keep playing.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's time that you have luck, if you did not have luck, I would not think poker would be boring.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You will never eliminate the luck factor from poker but by eliminating -EV spots in your game hopefully you will become a winning player.

M

milo79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think the luck is a big part of playing poker
and the luck was gone for me

lol

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only importance of luck in poker is that if luck does not play any role, the fish simply would not play, because it gives them an opportunity luck from time to time to win.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and smart play is the most important. Is luck a part of it? Of course. Smart play will definitely bring you further however.

H

Haftus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its not always luck

In my opinion the luck depends on the time you play poker. The longer you play, the lesser is the importance of the luck. Maybe you think, that in one situation the other player was lucky, but in the other situation you were lucky. If you play for a decent amount of time, you will win and the luck will be unimportant, because you will win lucky und loose unlucky. If you play poker over a long period of time, you will win, if your decisions were right.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can be the best player in the world but without good luck too you are doomed.:)

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't talk about luck, focus on having patience when you have ''bad luck'' and don't start to make wrong plays!

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can be the best player in the world but without good luck too you are doomed.:)

This is true, but you will prosper longer with smart and good play and beat out the lucky ones when the odds are with you. If you are constantly playing against someone that you are a 90% favorite, then you are playing good poker and will be winning a lot of the time.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All these people can tell you this or that. Play looking for the set up. I see it all the time. My favorite is watching people play their aces. You bet aggressive to get as close to heads up as possible. Flop comes and 90% of the time a straight draw or flush draw hits the board. Acesss play aggressive but they already lost. Next card a blank then wam he his hits river. If he doesn't bet after flop you will hit your card just to keep the beting going. Keep track how often this craps happens. Or if you hit your straight on the river and it gives a flush draw at the same time your done. Because everybody hits in the players or less. Just get you a tracker and keep track. Once you figure out this stuff just pay low ball and you will make a nice slow steady growth.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do your best to always take "luck" out of the equation,,,,if you don't,,,,"good luck"! :hahaha:

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to say. I am new to poker and learned that this is a game of probability and making decisions. And I believe that. I play micro cash game and lost some in the first month, then started to win for a while after learning some strategy. But somehow I have been again dawning into downstream being extremely unlucky. i.e. when I got pocket 10 , I got beaten by AK, when I got AK, beaten by pocket 10...

Another thing I noticed, my low stack could be also problem. When I got two pairs on flop, I placed quite heavy bet, but my opponent got heavy stack so my bet didn't stop him/her from calling and fnally getting outs down the river

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you rely on luck in poker then tournaments you will win 1 out of 1000 luck in poker there but it is an instant.:D

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The only importance of good luck in poker is that if luck didn't play a role, the fish would simply not play, because it is luck that gives them the opportunity to win from time to time. And the players of average strength would be less interesting, because they could not attribute their mediocre results to bad luck. Such blame their failures bad players, dealer, fate, and in General anything, but not themselves and their nondescript poker skills.

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ehhhh

It is sad but I think that the fortune has a very big weight in poker. For example, these situations when a lucky player has only 2-3 outs on the river and then is getting his card. I wish I would have changed the rules to stop the game on the turn and gave the bank to better hand in this kind of situations)) It would be fair

Clox - I sort of see where you're coming from... but obviously that would change the game completely. The cards fall the way they do for a reason. Typically, when people do hit those 2-3 outers it sticks in your mind for a lot longer than when you hit them.

The thing to remember here is statistics. If you replay that same hand where someone hits their 2-3 outer... if you run it 10,000 times... you're going to win that hand 96% of the time. So as a solid player if you're making the rights plays more often than not, you're going to make more than you lose typically.

When luck really becomes a factor in my opinion is when you're in MTT's and you're really close to a big score. Say you've never played the $10,000 wsop main event and you final table it. Surprise, you may have played the best game of your life but you HAVE to get lucky. Cause its a one time thing. Play the same tournament 10,000 times and the guys that are final tabling 500 times... those are the Negreanus and such. I rather be a great player for a year than a lucky player for a day :)

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck in poker is the most important thing. No matter how “professional” you are, if the card doesn't enter, then there’s nothing to catch.

B

Bakariil

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you rely on luck in poker then tournaments you will win 1 out of 1000 luck in poker there but it is an instant.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the term luck. Variance is much more accurate term for me. If there was no such element poker would be very boring game where better player win every time (like in chess for example). In fact variance is not always your enemy. Last year for a few months i took notice of every time i got beaten when i am huge favorite in the hand initially and all times when i am behind but get lucky on turn or river and win the hand. Guess what - it was approximately 50/50 ratio. People tend to remember bad beats against them but not take into account when they get lucky. This also depends on the type of player that you are. Tight players play more premium hands so they are favorites most of the time. Due to this they experience more bad beats than lucky hands.

In general if you follow good bankroll management and play well variance (or luck if you like) should not be major factor affecting your game in a long run.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am convinced that there is no need to change the rules. Poker is interesting with the rules that are there. It is obvious that poker is a game that requires a thorough skill. I think that on average 75% is skill and 25% is luck.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a game of making the right decisions. If you make the right decisions, then good luck will always be with you)))
The rules in poker are the same for everyone and put everyone in an equal position so I think they are fair and you should not change them !!!