Learn poker

Rami

Rami

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you learn poker? And did it benefit you?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theory and practice
helps
improved game and discipline

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned by watching class videos on youtube, reading books and practicing!

The best form of presentation is a practice.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My father was the first one to give me any poker advice. When I was young, I had a poker video game for my game system. It was just 5 card draw, 5 and 7 card stud and blackjack. I was playing it one day while my dad sat on the couch behind me reading the paper. He gave about a half a dozen pieces of advice, like not feeling like I had to play every single hand. He told me it was okay to fold poor starting hands and that I shouldn't throw money away chasing thin draws, simple things like that. But they are still the basis of my poker strategy.

Right around the time Moneymaker won the main, a friend was showing off his football memorabilia when I noticed a half dozen poker books on a shelf. Most of them had never been cracked. While my friends played video games on his 80+ inch TV that he had purchased with money from an accident settlement, I thumbed through his poker books.

Then the Moneymaker effect really kicked in and poker training videos started popping up on YouTube. Not to mention that a lot of the poker sites had some sort of training academy or poker school.

But if I had to say where I learned the most, I would probably have to say it was from watching poker. Watching the broadcast of wsop and WPT tournaments and listening to the commentary gave me a great deal of insight into the game and how others think and play.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I study poker by playing in freerolls. I think this is the best way to gain experience and improve my skills. Also, freerolls are always a good opportunity to increase bankroll.