Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi all,
my ft bankroll at the moment:
$89.35 cash
$t 0.15
weekly sunday freeroll 6 tickets (i work alternate sundays so i use this freeroll to practice basically)
i step 3 ticket ($26)

my goal was to get $100 from freerolls and micro's
then 'sack' freerolls and try to increase BR gradually and 'earn'
my right to move up in stakes
this will be my last month of freerolls
(unless they are good ones like the cardschat ones and other specials).
BTW how do you know when to apply for the cc freerolls ?
the problem i foresee is this
to win in the freerolls i have been playing very basic ABC poker
playing mainly position
very tight
good hands etc
this seems to have become like 'automatic' play,
could anyone suggest the next step to open up my game ?

At the moment i am trying to get my head around hand ranging
and 3bet strategy (my brain hurts).
is there a 'next step' after learning ABC poker ?
like one single thing i can add to my game then
when i understand that add another 'next step'
i read lots of poker strategy articles but i feel
i am not using the knowledge properly begause when i play
i just use ABC.
I use BR management to the extreme and NEVER 'take a shot'
outside my BR.
i have built this BR from zero so i am very protective of it
if i lose $1 it is a major disaster (lol)
Am i being to cautious ?
should i just dive in ?
any advice/comments on simple steps to 'open up' my game
much appreciated.

on another note. any advice what to play with my step3 ticket,
i was thinking of playing a KO tourney,i would be in profit after
one knockout,so effectively i would be freerolling.
good luck on and off the felt.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot offer advise on MTT's as I suck at them.
But I can tell you to be able to participate in the CC Freerolls you are almost there.
You should wait till you have around 75 posts then apply for the freeroll club.
The rules say 65 but when you apply, your posts will get reviewed and any that seem like spam will be deleted.
Good luck with your bankroll, you have done a great job.
I also look forward to playing with you in the CC games.

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why stop FR's altogether? There is a good answer, but you need to know it.

How long has it taken to get to that $85 br?

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they are time consuming and
i feel the freerolls are slowing my improvement
because i always just play ABC poker and i need to expand my game
not sure how long it has taken to build BR but approx 11 months
btw how do i check my post count ?

Last edited:
wolfie

wolfie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why stop freerolls ?
i started the same some years ago :)
but still play them !

got a healty bankroll now :)
made 300+ last month in freerolls

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow $300
what freerolls are you playing ?

wolfie

wolfie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow $300
what freerolls are you playing ?

play daily on merge network 2 $200 freerolls
play some special freerolls for forum members only on 4 sites
not play much freerolls with less as 150 prizemoney or more as 1000 players.
only on merge where my home site is :p

so not play the stars/ftp/party generall freerolls to many players to little money.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Time consumption is the right answer. (IMHO)

Post count in the upper right corner of any post you have made, it is always current in any post you have made. Meaning even the very first post you made here shows your current post count.

So if the MTT's are too time consuming, what games are you aiming at? STT's, Ring?

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
looking to play sng single table and micro ring
to start with and go from there

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice bankroll.
Will still need a lot of work to succed, but u seem to have a good plan so a few speedbumps along the way shouldnt stop you.
Good luck.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why stop freerolls altogether?
Umm.. cuz they suck & are a total waste of time. (and seem to have already served their purpose for OP).

Good for you on acquiring a bankroll for free!!!

Keep in mind, that along with adding to your game you'll likely need to 'un-learn' a bit of how you've been needing to play in freerolls (ie. value-betting.. in a freeroll you can likely POT bet the flop & turn & still be getting called down by MPTK, or TPWK, etc.... whereas in some micro games you'll be losing value by overbetting). Lots of other stuff but nothing that you won't get aquainted with/accustomed to in a short period of time, especially if you're as motivated to learn more as you seem to be.

Good on ya for the Bankroll Management plans. One thing though... don't sweat losing $1 or $2.. or $5 or $10. If you're finding you're uptight over a few losses in succession it might keep you from playing optimally. Just try to keep in mind .. "it's the longrun that matters" (don't even watch your bankroll fluctuations.... just keep trying to play your best.. follow BRM & your account will take care of itself).

kybcat

kybcat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls i feel get you ready for some of the bigger tournaments. You have both donks and pros in. They show you how to wait for better cards and not to get mad at dumb play from other players.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Why stop freerolls altogether?
Umm.. cuz they suck & are a total waste of time. (and seem to have already served their purpose for OP).

Good for you on acquiring a bankroll for free!!!

Keep in mind, that along with adding to your game you'll likely need to 'un-learn' a bit of how you've been needing to play in freerolls (ie. value-betting.. in a freeroll you can likely POT bet the flop & turn & still be getting called down by MPTK, or TPWK, etc.... whereas in some micro games you'll be losing value by overbetting). Lots of other stuff but nothing that you won't get aquainted with/accustomed to in a short period of time, especially if you're as motivated to learn more as you seem to be.

Good on ya for the Bankroll Management plans. One thing though... don't sweat losing $1 or $2.. or $5 or $10. If you're finding you're uptight over a few losses in succession it might keep you from playing optimally. Just try to keep in mind .. "it's the longrun that matters" (don't even watch your bankroll fluctuations.... just keep trying to play your best.. follow BRM & your account will take care of itself.

great reply poker orifice
good advice
music to my ears

any thoughts on which tourny to play
with my step 3 ticket ?
thanks m8

Last edited:
C

cubixguy77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course you always have to keep in mind that those fancy plays you read about in the articles are rare situations, and no matter what level you're at most play is still governed by basic ABC poker, so I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with that. To get your feet wet, try raising it up in late position a little more often with a couple of high cards where you might ordinarily call. generally puts you in a favorable position, and you'll learn a lot from the situations you find yourself in post flop.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
any thoughts on which tourny to play
with my step 3 ticket ?
thanks m8

My recommendation would be -> Hang onto that step3 ticket for a bit. If you're planning on playing the Cardschat Freerolls, I'd try to play a month's worth of them prior to playing a $26 MTT. "If" you get on some tables with some of the better players, it'll be better prep. for playing that $26 Tournament then say playing twenty $2 & $3 Tournaments on Fulltilt. (but of course play some of them too, lol).
THen, once you've played some MTT's (incl. CC freerolls), I'd suggest playing the $33,000 KO guarantee (15:00 EST) or any of the $26 MTT's (except I'd probably pass on the 6max one).
If you're planning on playing some other MTTs on Fulltilt (micros), you might want to check out the DailyDollar 'Rebuy', but just take a shot at it w/o the rebuy as players will stack off w junk during the rebuy period and 'hopefully' you should be able to acquire a decent stack. Payouts are good & typically the play is better than in the other DailyDollar (the freezeout later at night) which is full of donks. Maybe play it too though as the majority of the players are terrible AND it's a double stack tournament (3,000 chips) which is way better imo.

Games I wouldn't play with the Step3 ticket --> $26- 45player SNG. There are a TON of regs. in those games.

gl!

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There´s nothing wrong with freerolls. But it´s sometimes hard to stay disciplined in those...I play freerolls as "backup tournaments" (i only can win !) besides my mtt´s with buy-ins. Okay, was not very successful so far, won only 24 bucks in the last 130 freerolls on Full Tilt LOL, but i have the will to improve :hello: ...

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
got a healty bankroll now :)
made 300+ last month in freerolls

That's pretty impressive

no matter what level you're at most play is still governed by basic ABC poker, so I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with that. To get your feet wet, try raising it up in late position a little more often with a couple of high cards where you might ordinarily call.

Yes this is very true. I think a lot of players think they have to change how they play completely once they move up a level. Especially for the first few levels of micro stakes you don't need to change much at all, except maybe open up your range a bit in late position.

Last edited:
L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, freeroll play differs a bit from money games, but not so much you can't do both. Why limit yourself? Any money won in freerolls is just going to build your bankroll. The more important question is how will you build your bankroll in money games? What type of games, limits, number of players, etc; Be delibrate about what and how you play.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the $33,000 ko was the one i was thinking about (seems to be the best one for value)
with $4 each ko, if i ko one player i will be in profit.
i cost me 35c or 75c (cant remember)
this got me to $3+ buyin
which led to step 3 ticket
i will wait till i've played a few cc freerols (if i can get in)
as poker orifice suggests.
thanks for all reply's
gl all

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like u got patience,,to play multy tournies, dont play to higher stakes were u kill your roll ,build up graduly ,,mi advice wudd use the money on sit n go comps ,,good luk

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't see any harm in selected FR's. Join us on Saturday and Tuesday, a bunch of fun and some great players to try to stiff. The field is a reasonable size while you not attempting to come out on top from many thousands of players. Truly a lot of fun.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
where are these freerolls m8 ?

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know a guy who claims he makes 400+ from freerolls.
Sounds far fetched for me but he did made couple hundreds for sure. he only plays private freerolls and has like 200 poker clients in his computer.
But you won't find fame and real money by playing to long (advice for other lurkers)

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your step 3 ticket is worth close to a quarter of your bankroll, I'd take the money if I were you. Register in any tournament with it and then unregister to have the $26 in your account and you can use them in tournaments you're rolled for. I'm all for taking a few shots outside the BRM rules, but a quarter of the BR for a tournament is too much.

Congrats for your BR and good luck at the tables. ;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Your step 3 ticket is worth close to a quarter of your bankroll, I'd take the money if I were you. Register in any tournament with it and then unregister to have the $26 in your account and you can use them in tournaments you're rolled for.

Wow.... what an awesome & novel idea!!! Wonder if OP (or anyone else) has ever thought of this before?? Oh.... there's a problem though.... when you 'unregister' from a Tournament that you've used a StepTicket to enter, guess what you get back... Yup.. .a StepTicket!! (they don't refund your ticket to T$'s)

Freeroll Passwords