Know how to deal with defeat!

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you do if you played three tournaments today and fell fast in the tournament. Study more or risk one more time?

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how you played, if you feel that you played bad, terrible, very bad you have to focus on continuing to learn, if you played well like you how to keep learning but you deal with it is everyday part of the poker none of the other world:tomato:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you eventually develop an intuition with this.

I agree with 77ecos in that the first thing you need to do is analyze your play. If you played well and suffered bad beats, that's one thing. If you played poorly, then it's back to the drawing board. Review your mistakes and strive to improve.

That said, somedays the run bad feels self-evident. It's fine to persist when it costs you nothing - freerolls for example - but even repeated defeats/losses in FRs can bring you down mentally.

So, as I noted above, try to develop an intuition about running bad. What I have noted is when I withdraw from play (I am a stick-to-it type) because it does not feel positive...you often become aware a little later, you feel particularly tired or a little under the weather, and that can 'explain' the poorer results combined with the run bad.

I now try to equate closing out a poor session early in a similar way to folding. Whilst it might not feel like the optimum play in the moment...it is profitable in the long run.

luisroxbren

luisroxbren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you spend a lot in free tournaments and I don't know what I can do anymore

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how you were eliminated. Think about how you got out. Could you have played the hand better? If this is the case, then maybe it is better to stop for the day as your judgement might be off. If you were unlucky, you can try again if you still have the energy.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ties into bankroll management. What can you afford to lose? Regardless of how you felt you played, you should set and keep a limit.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management..

If u can affort to lose, its not big deal.. The sad thing is to lose a big tournament you wanted

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do if you played three tournaments today and fell fast in the tournament. Study more or risk one more time?

Depends on how you feel emotionally. If you can shrug it off, play one more. If it's affecting you though, take some time off then play again when it's no longer affecting you.

And plus you can study objectively only after you're not affected, so definitely take a break if need be.

During that time be self aware so you can be emotionally intelligent (aka less prone to tilt)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will understand the causes of falls and mistakes
and read literature or tips from experienced players
this is the best thing to do in such cases

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lost three times ? ))))))
Don't be ridiculous, there will be thousands of losses, learn more, play more, everything will be.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you eventually develop an intuition with this.

I agree with 77ecos in that the first thing you need to do is analyze your play. If you played well and suffered bad beats, that's one thing. If you played poorly, then it's back to the drawing board. Review your mistakes and strive to improve.

That said, somedays the run bad feels self-evident. It's fine to persist when it costs you nothing - freerolls for example - but even repeated defeats/losses in FRs can bring you down mentally.

So, as I noted above, try to develop an intuition about running bad. What I have noted is when I withdraw from play (I am a stick-to-it type) because it does not feel positive...you often become aware a little later, you feel particularly tired or a little under the weather, and that can 'explain' the poorer results combined with the run bad.

I now try to equate closing out a poor session early in a similar way to folding. Whilst it might not feel like the optimum play in the moment...it is profitable in the long run.
Yes when I am tired and fatigued my perception decreases. Resting should settle. Thank you.:):driver:

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think not to play but to take a break because if today is not lucky it is better not to risk your money.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Try to analyze your mistakes read and watch videos of professional help you improve your game :)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do not want to overdo it. The more you play, the more you can burn yourself out. If you get knocked out in 3 tournaments, take a break. Try to take away good things you did from the tournament and realize mistakes that you made. Take a day to think about what you could do differently and take a shot the next day.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We must endure...It is not enough to be able to play-you need to be able to endure...

marcofud

marcofud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if I lose in three tournaments in turn, I turn on good music (I recommend Kitaro) and flies away for about 40 minutes and then I start the next tournament again

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I usually in such cases I take time out until tomorrow, in the hope that a new day will bring me victory

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

At this very moment, tilt level is already at 9/10 or even 10/10.
No way you can perform your A game.
No way you be in a clear state of mind.
You are in desperation to win and to prove you are not a losing player. And that is going to make things worst.
Instead of reviewing your hand history on what went wrong, you should be clearing your mind, kill that Ego red monster inside you, deep breathing, turn on music, close your eyes and relax.
Poker is always there, so don't hit a rock with an egg.

T

twofold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The tournament might feel like a fast track approach to actual certain problems in the day to day poker go-away but when you consider the last play is always something you'd serve up as the next stupid mistake, you really gotta consider that you may be in line for some other kind of last time and then generalize off of that in a clean game before you can actually practice on what might be the 5th deal of the same game without the same outcomes.
It's a steady road to feeling right and then catching wheels like they introduce your stardom, but practicing a straight game may introduce the local stardust as if it werea person practicing to be a millionaire. You want to break off that bit you can chew and just let yourself keep on churning away at what you don't know yet.
Three straight losses might mean stop letting your bankroll do your talking for you, like old players may know how to deal with certain gamblers at any table, but leaving the table with a blanket feeling for what that set of hands was like is like claiming you can take advantage of being able to see someone sweat after a long table. The actual play time you might consider is important may actually arrange that the set of hands you didn't fail in happens to be what you want to order in for next time so that any automated responses don't actually hold you to any clues you may have come up with. The house is always in and we don't bless what we can't offer you without handing you back some chips to remind you this aint church. It's a game.
Take advantage of that and make sure the business does 't stress you out until you realize that at least you aren't going to run tables on TV and lose that much more respect for yourself just because you didn't think eating pair tables was important in a long run for what may be hundreds of players matching bets to keep open on what might come near the end. Cause the stress is usually physical in poker.
Losing hands to pros just means they lose later to something simple you had enough stress to manage over them. Winning against pros might mean you just got lucky. Being able to win and noticing it as like a helpful hand and not your streak is forever. And that's a blanket too.
Maybe I just suck, though.
But I'm good if you ask me, so, maybe I need a break after three straight losses and sitting through another will just stress me out about what I want to remember later instead.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Three tournaments is a very small distance to draw any conclusions !!! Even if you lost through your own fault, but you know that you are a good player and you can play better, I think you should concentrate and continue playing !!!

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually try not to start other tournament if I lost one. I need to sleep on it. I actually need to learn how to deal with my emotions after beat. If I play another one, I notice, that I then want big stack sooner and I do some stupid aggressive moves, and it lead to another fail most of the time.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep playing if I still have enough energy to play well. the most important thing is to play well and not to repeat the same mistakes. your long term results is what counts in the end.