KJ good hand or no?

bdean1

bdean1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ is it a good hand to call big raises with or go all in with?.....i get KJ so much usually never hits or win anything off of it but im also still learning more bout poker prolly only been playing for bout 1 yr is that so was jus wandering if its a good hand to call big raises or all ins with.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you missed Phil Hellmuth's rant to the guy he said couldn't even spell poker. ;)

Generally no, KJ is easily dominated and not a great hand to call a raise or an all in with (an exception might be if your opponent is very short stacked and has a wide pushing range). If you're opening the pot from late position, though, it's a decent blind stealing hand, and I wouldn't hesitate to push with it when short.

bdean1

bdean1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you missed Phil Hellmuth's rant to the guy he said couldn't even spell poker. ;)

Generally no, KJ is easily dominated and not a great hand to call a raise or an all in with (an exception might be if your opponent is very short stacked and has a wide pushing range). If you're opening the pot from late position, though, it's a decent blind stealing hand, and I wouldn't hesitate to push with it when short.
ok cool preciate it i jus seem to get kj alot jus really noticed it and it looks good i guess cuz its a bigger hand but i never hit with it

mdafka

mdafka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its called the rookie hand, just for that reason..it looks good and is widely overplayed by begginers. I absolutely agree with roundcat.
gl

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Out of position, KJ isn't good.

It's good to shove with in a tournament if the pot is unchallenged and you are really short on chips (an M of 6 or so).

It's also good to steal with in late position, as it gives you some outs should a blind call.

Very early in a tournament I'll limp in with KJ, but I'm looking for two pair or better.

But no, K/J is not a good hand except in specific circumstances.

P

playme1979

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
king jack is a good hand to get ace king busted with .

E

Easygoer64

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel Negraneu calls KJ "the rookie" because it is a hand that looks a lot stronger than it really is when you get it, and many rookies overplay and over invest in it.

mregister2

mregister2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ and KQ are probably the two hands I see players play way too often. I rarely ever call a raise with them. If someone raised with AK, AQ, etc you are pretty far behind.

J

jtberrym

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

Depends on so many factors. It could be a great hand or it could be a bad hand. Too many factors to go in to. You will learn by experience.. Good luck

P

PokerVector

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would I call an all-in with KJ? Absolutely not unless the circumstance calls for it (all-iner is short stack). KJ is a hand you can open with, but even then be a bit weary when you hit.

H

hornellfred

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To a tight player KJ is a bad hand, but when playing tight (AA,KK,QQ,JJ.1010, AK,AQ,AJ,A10) which means you can only play 9 starting hands. UTG that is about all I will play in all but a few circumstances. In tournament play I believe you have to open up your hands and yes kj is a decent starting hand not more than 15 better ones. The key I believe with any drawing hand is to run after the flop if you do not catch. On the other hand I do not like K10 or lower unless suited and again if you catch a J and and A comes out folding to a raise is an no-brainer.

danny021

danny021

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ i would say is a better than mediocre hand but not a premium hand.. i mean i would never fold it if no one raises... perhaps limp in to see a flop but i wouldnt necessarily go all in and risk tournament life with a KJ...

G

gatorzz15

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, with two face cards it looks very appealing to beginners as it killed me numberous times when i first started playing, but now i realized that its a hand that you limp with but definetly dont overvalue.

D

dailies

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this has been interesting to read, as a loose player, I play KJ a lot, and i guess i usually get burned, but don't often notice because i often lose on lots of hands :)
but after reading a few recent blogs, and ferguson's 10,000 thingy, i think i'm going to change up my strategy, and play more conservative, even if it means taking some sleeping pills to slow down my tendencies to raise with everything

D

djlee888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K J suited is not a bad hand but i would never tend to re raise with it or call an all in either. obviously perfect flop would be 10 Q A but if you wanna start playing lotto poker be my guest:D

G

gatorzz15

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand burned me more than any other when I started playing... beginnners tend to overrate it and overplay it. But you can limp with it, just dont call a raise or raise yourself.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can we have some sort of context to this thread please! I mean any hand can be good, but we have to put it into context, what stakes you play, type of game your playing, mtt, cash, sng, 6max FR, early or late position. There are so many factors to playing any hand that we can't just say is KJ good or w/e.

OBV it's not classed as a premium hand, but it can be if played correctly.

JupeZ

JupeZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like KJ either. IF u hit K or J on flop ur usually dominated by bigger kicker. Only way to win with this hand I think is to flop big, like full house, top 2 pairs or straight. But, you can hit good with any 2 cards... Id still folds like this if someone raises or goes all in.

R

rockpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ is not a great hand, but it can give us many earnings if we play them well; in a table tight is a valuable hand that can help us to steal blinds.

daguksta

daguksta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think K J is definitely middle of the pack, there are definitely some hands that can beat it but there are others that people play that definitely don't. For example, K 10, I've seen so many people play that hand on FTP. It comes down to personal taste in the end, if you're a loose player, then yeah K J is good to play but otherwise it's not a bad hand to be a calling station in.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ = donk kings: unfoldable preflop in any position for any action.

G

GrantGreen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ is situational. Don't call raises with it (you'll only get in trouble), but is fine to open raise from late position. Play cautiosly pf if you encounter resistance. And just a bit better if suited.

J

jokerjay311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K J, even when suited is a trouble hand. same as qj to me anyways. you could hit top pair but be out kicked. i wouldnt call anything more then 2 1/2-3x bb raise from someone with kj. but then i really only like that hand in late position anyway. its a proceed with caution hand.

Y

ysmisc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just hate KJ I seem to ALWAYS have bad luck with it - Never a good flop. But since mathematically it IS a good hand I play it nonetheless

bdean1

bdean1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
funny thing is after i posted this thread i thought bout KJ more and actually have started winning more with it lol weird but dont think i did not take everyone of yalls opinions in consideration everytime i saw KJ in my hand because i absolutly did thanks again everyone i swear this site is awesome yall respond and no ones actually asses like some other forum sites i seen love it here

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands