Just a Rant

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know, I'm 67 years old and a U.S. Navy Veteran. I just so tired of my government trying to tell me how and what I can spend my money doing. I'm not a 5 year old.

I realize this is still the greatest country in the world, but it seems more and more of my freedom of choice is being taken away every time I turn around. Oh well, if my rant needs to be moved or deleted that's fine, just needed to get it out.

Later Y'all

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Aye can't imagine how annoying it is for USA players. Hopefully online poker will return soon! :)

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know, I'm 67 years old and a U.S. Navy Veteran. I just so tired of my government trying to tell me how and what I can spend my money doing. I'm not a 5 year old.

I realize this is still the greatest country in the world, but it seems more and more of my freedom of choice is being taken away every time I turn around. Oh well, if my rant needs to be moved or deleted that's fine, just needed to get it out.

Later Y'all

I feel the exact same way as you. In my youth I was so exuberant of the advantages living in the US offered its citizens. I was so interested in visiting East Berlin with the wall up to see how the other half lived. Now it seems more and more like we are the other half.

O

OliverOliver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree 100%. And what makes it even more silly is that the prohibition of it makes it more risky for the people that do decide to play, and if the government would just regulate it they would help protect it's citizens and could even make a pretty penny off taxing it.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm only 27, but the US hasn't done anything worthwhile in my lifetime. I don't buy into all the hype. I think our country is a mess, it's falling apart, and rotting from the core. I have no idea if there is anyplace better, but my life is here, so I'm not leaving any time soon. However, I have done some research on immigrating, and wouldn't be opposed to it in the future.

S

stlbluesfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, its amazing how we are the land of the free but the government tells us so much what we can or cannot do in order to "protect" us.

LastSon76

LastSon76

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed. We're on our way down. Look at the way things are run - our government takes more and more of our freedoms and either strips them from us wholesale or adds stipulations. Meanwhile, they sit in their offices in DC, not doing the job they are supposedly be paid for, making grandiose speeches about everything they want to change. . .I could go on and on . . .

R

Ronoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couldn't agree more and that agreement has to do with so much more than poker

steffdbird

steffdbird

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right I understand that it is frustrating being banned from online poker but come on don't you all think slagging your government and country just because of online poker issues is just stupid when you look at the poor people that are being shafted by there government or leaders likes of north koreans that are being treat like slaves and middle east where poor families are being wiped out by evil extremest's and millions of kids dying of starvation because there country is on its backside :(

So really is your government that bad???

R

Ronoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right I understand that it is frustrating being banned from online poker but come on don't you all think slagging your government and country just because of online poker issues is just stupid
I don't think a single American in this thread is complaining "just about poker"

steffdbird

steffdbird

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:0

I don't think a single American in this thread is complaining "just about poker"
Correct me if I'm wrong but this whole thread is about the us government preventing people playing poker online :s so I think you should go and read these posts again as almost everyone is talking about ''just poker'' :eek:

I'm not trying to offend anyone I just think we all should be gratefull for the free country we all have and not take what we have for granted that's something I think most of my fellow brits do quite often and in this thread I just thought that the us players not allowed on poker some poker sites is not the end of the world so to speak, yes I agree is pretty crap but atleast they have the freedom to go on the internet :) so thanks for your inadequate feedback good evening :)

R

Ronoh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct me if I'm wrong but this whole thread is about the us government preventing people playing poker online :s so I think you should go and read these posts again as almost everyone is talking about ''just poker'' :eek:
Alright, I'll do that... where to start?

... said:
I'm only 27, but the US hasn't done anything worthwhile in my lifetime. I don't buy into all the hype. I think our country is a mess, it's falling apart, and rotting from the core. I have no idea if there is anyplace better, but my life is here, so I'm not leaving any time soon. However, I have done some research on immigrating, and wouldn't be opposed to it in the future.
Only about poker?
... said:
Agreed. We're on our way down. Look at the way things are run - our government takes more and more of our freedoms and either strips them from us wholesale or adds stipulations. Meanwhile, they sit in their offices in DC, not doing the job they are supposedly be paid for, making grandiose speeches about everything they want to change. . .I could go on and on . . .
How about this one?
... said:
Couldn't agree more and that agreement has to do with so much more than poker
Cough...
... said:
I realize this is still the greatest country in the world, but it seems more and more of my freedom of choice is being taken away every time I turn around.
This one?
... said:
I feel the exact same way as you. In my youth I was so exuberant of the advantages living in the US offered its citizens. I was so interested in visiting East Berlin with the wall up to see how the other half lived. Now it seems more and more like we are the other half.
Can't see it here either...

steffdbird said:
so thanks for your inadequate feedback good evening :)
Back at ya. Just because something was posted on a poker forum and was based on the topic of online poker doesn't mean it's ALL about online poker. You don't even have to read between the lines to get it, you just have to read...

Of course it's not the end of the world and I'm willing to bet all of the above posters ARE thankful for the freedoms they have by living in this country. But Big Brother wanting to micromanage it's citizens lives is rather irritating and online poker happens to belong on this board so that is what rises to the top.

steffdbird

steffdbird

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol

Alright, I'll do that... where to start?

Only about poker?

How about this one?

Cough...

This one?

Can't see it here either...

Back at ya. Just because something was posted on a poker forum and was based on the topic of online poker doesn't mean it's ALL about online poker. You don't even have to read between the lines to get it, you just have to read...

Of course it's not the end of the world and I'm willing to bet all of the above posters ARE thankful for the freedoms they have by living in this country. But Big Brother wanting to micromanage it's citizens lives is rather irritating and online poker happens to belong on this board so that is what rises to the top.

Haha well done on picking out only the posts that were not related to poker ( to much time on your hands) and ''Back at ya'' what kind of statement is that? were not kids!! and yes I'm sure most are thankful but are obviously taking it for granted by slagging the very establishment that keeps them free, clothed, fed and in work. But if you or anyone else for that matter thinks that this is all overlooked by other issues like rumors and theories of being ''micromanaged'' well who am I to disagree :s

D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steff - he wasn't cherry picking... that was almost every post of more than one sentence and he left out a few. Not counting the posts that read "crazy" and "really crazy" I can only see two that limited their complaints to poker and one of those was yours.

People are over reacting. They don't want government "interference" until there is a problem and then complain that the government didn't do anything about it. Like you said, compared to other countries, we got it good.

steffdbird

steffdbird

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:)

Steff - he wasn't cherry picking... that was almost every post of more than one sentence and he left out a few. Not counting the posts that read "crazy" and "really crazy" I can only see two that limited their complaints to poker and one of those was yours.

People are over reacting. They don't want government "interference" until there is a problem and then complain that the government didn't do anything about it. Like you said, compared to other countries, we got it good.

Excuse me the '' crazy'' and ''really crazy'' where my only defence lol :p
I think I underestimated ''sleep'' lol

shhh don't tell anyone ;) haha

LastSon76

LastSon76

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking for myself, I can only say that my post is most DEFINITELY NOT about "just poker". And, respectfully, Steff, as I'm much more informed about the American government, seeing as how I live in Texas, I think my opinion carries a bit more weight than yours. While I dont' think EVERYTHING about the government needs to change, there are deep flaws in the way things are done (though thankfully, not fundamental flaws, as our founding documents are, IMHO, the most perfect form of governing yet created by modern society - when appropriately applied).
If you want to get into a piece by piece deconstruction of the faults and failures of our system, I'd be more than happy to, as I think our successes are plenty well-known.
Dasher, I disagree with your point of complaining only when "interfered" with. I've made it a point to complain whenever the government steps out of it's place, regardless of what party is involved or whether I'm directly affected. However, I'm in 100% agreement that in the grand scheme of life, we ARE blessed here in America and living much better than much of the world.

steffdbird

steffdbird

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:)

Speaking for myself, I can only say that my post is most DEFINITELY NOT about "just poker". And, respectfully, Steff, as I'm much more informed about the American government, seeing as how I live in Texas, I think my opinion carries a bit more weight than yours. While I dont' think EVERYTHING about the government needs to change, there are deep flaws in the way things are done (though thankfully, not fundamental flaws, as our founding documents are, IMHO, the most perfect form of governing yet created by modern society - when appropriately applied).
If you want to get into a piece by piece deconstruction of the faults and failures of our system, I'd be more than happy to, as I think our successes are plenty well-known.
Dasher, I disagree with your point of complaining only when "interfered" with. I've made it a point to complain whenever the government steps out of it's place, regardless of what party is involved or whether I'm directly affected. However, I'm in 100% agreement that in the grand scheme of life, we ARE blessed here in America and living much better than much of the world.

Hi well I can certainly see that your very passionate about your country :) I totally agree I know very little about american government in particular, my point was meant to come across in a different way than it did, What I was trying to say wasn't all about ''online poker'' lol I just wanted to express how lucky we in the west are in general I just chose the ''online poker'' scenario'' as it was what I thought the main post was about. :)
Ofcoarse our governments have flaws none more than us in uk with the blooming snobs in charge but were still blessed in most things in life :) and this was what I was trying to get across but unfortunately I was lacking a lot of sleep last night and didn't put my opinion across in the way it was meant if you understand what I mean :D. Hopefully I have cleared up my mess here I wasn't trying to mock your country or your people just guess I got so engrossed in my thoughts of recent events in middle east that have affected my outlook on life.... peace ;)

H

hausofchaos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
spend where we want!!

I agree that the government should not control where we spend our money and how. Hopefully it will go back to normal within a few years...There is still hope..

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with almost everyone posting here so far. As a first generation American citizen i think this country is the best in the world, does it have flaws, of course it does. The gov telling us where we can spend OUR hard EARNED money is one of the biggest right there with the FEMA camps and it is all part of the corruption infesting career politicians. Let us play poker online, what's the harm.

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The ironic thing is that the USA made incredible sacrifices in WWII to ensure that Europe should be 'free' ie have a certain amount of self-determination, which basically means democracy, which basically means that the majority will (provided it is reasonable) should always prevail. The only conclusion must therefore be that the USA government is more corrupt than it was under Roosevelt and Eisenhower. No-one could possibly say that requiring online poker is unreasonable.

Also ironically the current Russian government is certainly less corrupt than it was under Stalin! And even more ironically, without the Russian contribution to WWII Hitler would probably have conquered the whole of Europe.

Now the USA government is determined to discredit Russia at every opportunity - has the USA press explained that large tracts of the Ukraine support Russian intervention?

What a mess.

steffdbird

steffdbird

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol

The ironic thing is that the USA made incredible sacrifices in WWII to ensure that Europe should be 'free'

Now the USA government is determined to discredit Russia at every opportunity - has the USA press explained that large tracts of the Ukraine support Russian intervention?

What a mess.
Firstly sorry for another off topic rant!!

where did you learn history????

In both ww1 and ww2 america preferred to not be involved but supported there allies by selling us weapons and food which was so lucrative to the usa, The uk spent 50 years paying off these debts, which of coarse we needed to fund our war campaign and to revive our country after the campaign which we could never thank the usa enough for the lend-lease deals we received which is why our counties are so close :)

America which you sayed and I quote ''made incredible sacrifices in WWII to ensure that Europe should be free'' only joined 2 years into the war, the war started when us brits declared war against germany on september the 1st 1939 and america joined on December 8th, 1941 and the only main reason for americas 2cent input was because japan bombed us naval base ''pearl harbour'' on the 7th of December 1941. Yes america made a contribution but not a ''incredible sacrifice'' there is always speculation on the what and who's but the facts are there for all to read :)

So please learn a little more about the subjects you intend on making big claims about I'm shocked your from the uk and are so ill informed on history !!

And as for the usa discrediting the russians don't you see what russia and china are doing? backing these evil countries and all just (Imo) to go against the uk and usa. for instance look at the syrian troubles where that evil man gassed his own people most of which were young children and women, and the uk an us were going to intervene and what happened russia stepped in and defended this barbaric misuse of chemical weapons and urged us to not get involved. there is a line on how far we can be pushed around and with russia now engaging in what has been described as a '' total war invasion'' we have every right to exercise our rights to sanction the russians as they had done to us durin the syrian troubles :)

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only conclusion must therefore be that the USA government is more corrupt than it was under Roosevelt and Eisenhower.

Look, this is not the US government anymore. The US have been taken over by powerful bankers. THEY make the rules as they see fit.

If you think that this is a conspiracy theory then fine. Just wait until you see under what tyranny the US will be if people don't wake up.

They want to disarm everybody and complete their police state agenda. Then try to resist!

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most painful part about it is, the legislature passed is not a reflection of the populations wants. Lobbyists have far more input then congressional constituents when it comes to this stuff.

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Firstly sorry for another off topic rant!!

where did you learn history????

In both ww1 and ww2 america preferred to not be involved but supported there allies by selling us weapons and food which was so lucrative to the usa, The uk spent 50 years paying off these debts, which of coarse we needed to fund our war campaign and to revive our country after the campaign which we could never thank the usa enough for the lend-lease deals we received which is why our counties are so close :)

America which you sayed and I quote ''made incredible sacrifices in WWII to ensure that Europe should be free'' only joined 2 years into the war, the war started when us brits declared war against germany on september the 1st 1939 and america joined on December 8th, 1941 and the only main reason for americas 2cent input was because japan bombed us naval base ''pearl harbour'' on the 7th of December 1941. Yes america made a contribution but not a ''incredible sacrifice'' there is always speculation on the what and who's but the facts are there for all to read :)

So please learn a little more about the subjects you intend on making big claims about I'm shocked your from the uk and are so ill informed on history !!

And as for the usa discrediting the russians don't you see what russia and china are doing? backing these evil countries and all just (Imo) to go against the uk and usa. for instance look at the syrian troubles where that evil man gassed his own people most of which were young children and women, and the uk an us were going to intervene and what happened russia stepped in and defended this barbaric misuse of chemical weapons and urged us to not get involved. there is a line on how far we can be pushed around and with russia now engaging in what has been described as a '' total war invasion'' we have every right to exercise our rights to sanction the russians as they had done to us durin the syrian troubles :)

I am well aware of the timescale of the USA's involvement in WWII (and WWI). It does not alter the fact that thousands of American servicemen died in Europe. As for the selling of supplies, without those we could not have kept fighting, and I regard President Roosevelt as one of the great men in history for allowing this even though the American government was not wholly in favour. His decision to agree with Churchill and make North Africa the priority was certainly the key factor in winning the war in Europe.

As for your insistence that Russia always supports the 'bad' men I am touched by your faith in the facts as given by the UK and USA media. Surely you don't believe all of it? Perhaps you still believe there are Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq? Are you aware that an estimated 200,000 civilians have died violently in Iraq since the invasion - even the most biased commentators hesitate to say that Saddam Hussain would have killed that many!

There are large numbers of people in the Ukraine who support Russian Intervention...that has been reported and confirmed. To suggest that Russian troops moving to the area to protect Russians (and supporters of Russia) in Ukraine is wicked is ridiculous. Hardly 'total war invasion.'

You must understand that as soon as a country moves from a dictatorship or communism to embrace democracy there are immediate new opportunities for corruption. I was in Romania soon after it moved to democracy and I was told that virtually all the people making up committees and councils to make democratic decisions were old members of the Communist party. It's inevitable!

The Romanians were very frustrated in the first few years as they saw massive bribes being given to those councillors by American multi-nationals to move into the country. Luckily those years have passed without widescale disruption and so far as I am aware a sort of democracy now exists there.

In the Ukraine I similarly assume that massive corruption has been taking place and there are millions of dis-satisfied people. Naturally many of them want the old system back...which in my eyes is probably better than trying to impose democracy on a country which has never, ever known it...which is what the UN did with Iraq.

As for Syria, I know only what I have read and seen in the UK media...much of which I am sceptical of. It seems to me, though, that intervention by Western Powers on the side of the opposition has already caused the deaths of far too many people and prolonged the agony of the rest. I do not recall reports of mass gassings by President Bashar al-Assad,

Finally I am amused by the fact that you mention 'evil' countries. Does that include all the people in them? Are all Iraqis evil? All Ukrainians, Georgians, Iranians, Afghanis? And I remind you that it was the Great British government who imprisoned Ghandi and Jomo Kenyetta - both of who are widely regarded as the most influential leaders their countries have ever had. No, there are rarely governments which are all bad, nor all good!