Jokers in poker games - HELP!!!!

L

lisajose

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
:confused:

My brother in law and I have a disagreement regarding the jokers in poker ~ I say that a hand that contains no wild/jokers should win vs. the identical hand that contains the wild/jokers. We have a bet that needs an answer immediately.

Example-Royal Flush:
A-K-Q-J-10
A-K-Joker-Joker-10

Which hand should win the pot?????????? ;)

Thanks!!!

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you lisajose. I don't know what any official rule might say regarding playing jokers but I think a "natural" royal would beat a "joker" royal. That's the way they do it on Poker slots anyway.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Natural Royal Flush always outbeats the Unatural Royal Flush.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Outbeats"? :p

It would be a split pot as far as I'm concerned, though I'm not aware of any official rule because most people stopped playing with jokers years ago. It doesn't seem logical that one of two identical hands can somehow beat the other.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't seem logical that one of two identical hands can somehow beat the other.

Thats why I've been told anyway the Natural and Unatural.. Identical but Unidentical... the Natural Hand A,K,Q,J,10 vs the Unatural A,K,Q, Joker, Joker..

Cause if thats the case of the Unatural.. 5 of a kind is put into the game with Jokers and where does that rank? Considering that the Royal Flush is the higest ranking hand.

That's how I was taught anyway.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive played way too much poker in the past that involves wild cards. The game is a joke but anyway...........

A wild card is just that, a wild card, it can stand for any card in the pack, thats the rules, right? Unless you SPECIFY differently.

So this would be a split pot, sorry i hate this rule but unless you specify it before-hand its the rules, ive seen natural quads taken down by crappy wild card hands.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats the rules, right?

Have fun finding the rules in any poker book, hoyle or anything about Jokers.
So by adding the Jokers is going against the rules cause there are no rules.
Like I said before.. the rule book has no 5 of a kind cause the Royal Flush is the highest denominating hand.

Since there can't be a 5 of a kind placed into the hand..Then that hand is Unatural per you can't get it per the rules. Is it higher then a straight or royal flush?? We know it beats 4 of a kind..

This is another reason why I hate wilds/jokers.. it screws up the basic rules of poker..

Reminds me of free parking in Monopoly.. rules state its only a spot to land on yet people have implimented money given to a player who lands on it.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say this is a split pot.

If you want a natural hand to win, DON'T PLAY WITH JOKERS!

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That sounds like a house rule situation to me. I wasn't aware of a formal rule there, and would have guessed split pot, but I don't play with jokers much.

Wow, imagine being dealt joker/joker in holdem. You're almost guaranteed a flush, straight, or full house.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
thats the rules, right?
Reminds me of free parking in Monopoly.. rules state its only a spot to land on yet people have implimented money given to a player who lands on it.

I know, what's with that? I guess I'm just someone that plays by the rules, maybe I'm not creative enough to make up new ones...I'm not saying it's cheating or anything but when was "house rules" implemented anyway? I thought the creator of the game set the rules....what makes anyone think they can do any better?

Osmann

Osmann

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you want the full house with joker, joker in your hand??? Personally I would take quads in that situation :)

Ace de Espadas

Ace de Espadas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing with jokers, technically you could have 6-of a kind. In the World Poker Tour, when playing with jokers, 5 of a kind beats a Royal Flush, and natural vs. not natural makes no difference. It would be a split pot if two people had Royal Flush. That is for the WPT, so it must be true.

holduplaya

holduplaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Natural

NO joker hands lose to natural hands of the same kind.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do folks often play with jokers in their home games of Holdem? I've never really heard of it, especially in No Limit...

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Then I will ask again.. since those hands never lose to natural hands.. where does the 5 of a kind fit in considering that a Royal flush is the highest hand that can be made??

L

lisajose

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Jokers

Hey, thanks for all the feedback, but I still don't know if I won or lost and I really, really, really do not want to pay up on this bet. BTW, the game was a 5 card draw with the jokers, not texas hold-em.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You still can get 5 of a kind in 5 card draw with Jokers or a wild card.

Ima6T4

Ima6T4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've said this before but here goes. Wild card games are somewhat fun in friendly games, but even in our regular sunday get togethers, they added some confusion and arguements from time to time. But, as a side rule at our table, in flushes and straights, the highest natural card rules the wild card (our own rule only). We had so many wild card variations that split hands were commonplace, so we implemented that rule.

Ace de Espadas

Ace de Espadas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:

Then I will ask again.. since those hands never lose to natural hands.. where does the 5 of a kind fit in considering that a Royal flush is the highest hand that can be made??

I already answered this in my post.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing with jokers, technically you could have 6-of a kind. In the World Poker Tour, when playing with jokers, 5 of a kind beats a Royal Flush, and natural vs. not natural makes no difference. It would be a split pot if two people had Royal Flush. That is for the WPT, so it must be true.

Find me a poker game that requires 6 cards that makes the best hand?

Even in 7 card its the best hand made with 5 cards.. as for wsop using it.. I don't think so.. cause they play by the rule book where the Royal Flush is the best hand(period). Every site that shows even the basics clearly even say that the Royal Flush is the highest hand possible to get.

So I am pretty darn sure that even the WSOP goes by the rules of poker.

Ace de Espadas

Ace de Espadas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:

Find me a poker game that requires 6 cards that makes the best hand?

Even in 7 card its the best hand made with 5 cards.. as for WSOP using it.. I don't think so.. cause they play by the rule book where the Royal Flush is the best hand(period). Every site that shows even the basics clearly even say that the Royal Flush is the highest hand possible to get.

So I am pretty darn sure that even the WSOP goes by the rules of poker.

The World Poker Tour isn't the world series of poker. Nice one. Not having 6 of a kind as your hand, but having 6 of the same valued cards.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The World Poker Tour isn't the World Series of Poker. Nice one.

They still play by the rules either way.

Kj Sexton

Kj Sexton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap back with Five Aces! Woot! A J? J? A A.

Ace de Espadas

Ace de Espadas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
The World Poker Tour isn't the World Series of Poker. Nice one.

They still play by the rules either way.

Well, I was going by the WPT rules, the WSOP doesnt have any tourneys with jokers.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
thats the rules, right?

Have fun finding the rules in any poker book, hoyle or anything about Jokers.
So by adding the Jokers is going against the rules cause there are no rules.
Like I said before.. the rule book has no 5 of a kind cause the Royal Flush is the highest denominating hand.

i know this is an old thread, but i had to chime it. My copy of Hoyle is quite old, and does contain rules about jokers and wild cards. tenbob is of course right. 5 of a kind is the best hand, and unless there are specific house rules to the contrary, quote "A wild card ranks exactly the same as the natural card it replaces" So unless you specify differently before the hand begins, a natural, and un-natural royal flush would tie. Again, this rule is over 50 years old, but i think most players would agree that it is the correct ruling still today.

also, if you're interested, a wild card can not stand for a card the player already holds, so there can not be, for example, a double A high flush.

i hate wild cards, btw, for what it's worth

-n

Top 10 Games