JJ Truth or Lie?

D

Dario Feraz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in Brazil the JJ pair is considered the underdog, I believe in the legend since I lost 3 pairs of JJ to smaller pairs in the same tournament. today I prefer to go flat calling with that hand. Is there superstition in your country with this pair too? How to get in hand with JJ?

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no superstition about it no. If you comprare the odds against AK or AQ it's more than a flipin your favor so I don't think flatting is gonna be profitable.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With JJ just think of the outs for overcards and it will tell you it’s a marginal hand, a lot of people get excited about AJ as well, it can get you in all KINDS of problems. JJ depends on position, who your playing against and tendencies, who has folded, and of course board texture. As a stand alone, JJ is pretty much garbage imo, it’s worth calling with right odds to a raise but I would drop it fast if you even catch a slight whiff of strength from a player which includes any Q,KA or even a feel of a draw on flop (depending on draw). JJ looks pretty, but it really is just a pair that can easily be dominated and should play it with caution.

This is just my inference on JJ, there are I am sure other factors to consider but those are my main. I have seen Doyle Brunson throw away wired jacks on wsop 03 dvd and had absolutely no qualms doing so.

Last edited:
E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O ye of little faith

Here in Brazil the JJ pair is considered the underdog, I believe in the legend since I lost 3 pairs of JJ to smaller pairs in the same tournament. today I prefer to go flat calling with that hand. Is there superstition in your country with this pair too? How to get in hand with JJ?

JJ is a monster played correctly. Never be afraid of playing a hand take it from me ive been playing many years many hands ive seen it all. Most ppl have a weird outlook on poker hands based on the very short amount of poker they play. JJ should always be raised and if your in a later POS and some one raises you reraise them. Dont shove pre to often and watch how often newer players bet then after the turn and river they shut down thats when jacks shine. Youve seen it where a person raises pre then continue bets but when called they shut down they dont know what to do after the turn. Thats when your jacks should bet and youll see a difference.

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ. It's such a sweet hand because you have two face cards paired up blocking things like KJ, QJ, AJ, TJ etc. - but with only of those being an underdog where all of the others have a potential overcar that will scare the shit out of you if you see a flop. You're also the 4th best pocket pair, and if you bet it "properly" and maybe call down a 3bet depending on the range and you're looking at the possibility of QQ and greater. Maybe AQ and AK - and either of those are likely to 3bet you. And if you 3bet with it (depends on the how loose/tight the table is whether or not you decide to 3bet the hand) - but what happens if you face a 4bet? Shit. Okay, maybe you have cold calls on your 3x bet (maybe you're OOP) and a flop like Td Qh Kc hit the board. What do you do? You might be better with TT in this spot. Now at best (depending on preflop action) you have a draw, especially in a multiway pot, or if a TAG player called/3bet you. This is where the hand gets really shitty. Looks so sexy preflop, but now you're like Bon Jovi, livin' on a prayer. Sometimes the board is a non-coordinated rainbow with the highest card being a 9. You look good here. Unless you run into something like QQ or a set miner who hit the board. Not all COMMON scenarios, but play enough hands, and they happen all the time. Really easy to get stacked post flop with JJ. They call 'em fish hooks for a reason. However, there are a great many more times where you are the favorite, no broadways hit and there are no higher PPs in the whole for anyone else. Or maybe you hit a J on the flop. This happens too, and you are instantly a genius for playing this hand. Personally, I find these harder to play than something like AQ and AK, because of everything stated above. The two "miracles" I point out happen far less frequency than my hand being no good post-flop (in my case) that I'm happy to 3bet with them and hope to get a fold preflop, and if I get a call. Prepare another buy-in to reload with haha.

N

nikolasdms

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously we play with our hand and position and odds.
But I have the same "problem" with JJ. Incredibly. :confused::confused::confused:
But speaking the truth, we know that always happens with all combinations, but as we always focus more when we lose, we always end up remembering JJ

(im noobie as hell in poker, from brasil and i'll try to reply and post without translator in a first attempt, so ignore if my sentences just don't make sense)

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in Brazil, JJ's pair is considered the weakest, I believe in the legend as I lost 3 JJ pairs against smaller pairs in the same tournament. Today I prefer to go flat with that hand. Is there also superstition in your country with this pair? How to get in hand with JJ?

If it is a very weak hand that can be easily beaten even defending the blinds with Qx and Kx, that JJ's hand I have lost many times I usually play them allin even though I have a stack of chips to keep playing and waiting and JJ does not hold many times.

That hand is better to make an OR of 3x and if the villain is going to go all out and has more stacks of chips than you, it is better to fold the hand depending on the stage of the tournament you are in, so it is better to play it normal with a OR and see if we have any sets on the board as it is a very difficult hand to play.
JJ = 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 just to try to find a set on the board.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing JJ is tricky. I dont play this hand well. A large preflop bet hoping to run everyone out or a limp hoping to hit a set or a small unconnected flop are the 2 plays I use back and forth.
But JJ always makes my heart flutter a little when I look down and see it. LOL

GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like JJ for stealing BB's , it's not bad if you have a bully that keeps raising you every hand either. In spots other than that , i agree with the previous posts , i would just flat and hope for trips lol.

glgl

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
JJ does not have great strength, but it is a nice strong pair with wins and loses. If you press the situation with a JJ it can make you damage. If you play calm and focused you can win.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Today I lost 3 important wells with jj in hand, I don't know what's up but I think so: S

A

Aces74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So when in brazil the game is different than the rest of the world.
JJ is the 4th strongest hand.
You may need a different strategy playing against certain players.
If you play JJ correctly.
Example jj vs Ak the board is 8-9-10.
Your JJ on really and board with 5-10's on board makes $.
Now turn ace-queen is scary not really.
If turn is queen on 8-9-10 board you are only losing to Jack king since you have 2 jacks there is only 2 hands of Jk even possible.
I hope this approach helps...

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a good hand of course, but it’s not a premium hand. I see many players calling multiple all ins with JJ and it’s a dangerous hand in this case.

B

Beniciokgm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
look i'm brazilian i also believe that if you play your pair of jj with more aggressiveness you will think a little differently

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never heard of such a superstition...

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Pocket JJs look good but play bad, if the bet isn't to big go for the
flop to see if you make trips. You have 11 cards that can beat you on the flop, as long as that person has an ace,king or queen in there hand
along with other possibities.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is just superstition. There is no big difference between 10 10, JJ, QQ. Pocket AA can also be problematic. The main thing is to play correctly so that in case of failure you lose less chips.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the days and especially on the variance. some times you will win all of your spots with that hand and other days you will only be able to win one. this also applies to all other pairs. for JJ in UTG preflop position I remain quite careful with this hand. usually as long as no one bets or all-in preflop. I don't hesitate to play with this hand.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I have no prejudices about this couple. I believe that a pair of jacks is a strong enough cards, especially for skilled and experienced players. Of course, no one is safe from failure, but I believe that to a greater extent our skills and experience decide our outcome.
Good luck.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a superstitious person, poker is math and everything is calculated as a percentage. There will be a time when it will add up, there will be a time when it will not add up.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just call and wait for a J, and learn to fold pairs like 99 1010 and jj when higher cards are out there and people betting.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The usual saying is that there are several ways to play pocket Jack's.
All of them wrong.
Any Pocket pair is good depending on what your opponent is holding. I have called all-in shove's from player's, with pocket 3s and beat their AK suited simply because they did not connect. I have also called all-in shoves with AK suited and beat them by connecting on the river.
It all depends on the Poker God's and how lucky you feel.
I normally play Pocket Pairs strong and 3X or even 4X with them but I also have to decide after the flop whether to call, fold or raise depending on position of my opponent.
If I connect I will often check on the flop to induce a bluff from opponent's so I can check/raise or check/call, depending on how strong I feel.
You are never sure what will happen in any poker game as I have seen Quads beaten by bigger Quads, (rare but happens) I have also seen Pocket Jacks hit a full house on the flop with J,10,10, and beaten by Ace Deuce, when the turn and river are 10,10, and the Ace is top kicker with Quad tens.
But that is the beauty and pain of playing Poker.

Enjoy your Defeat's as much as your Victories.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ and TT are pairs which are difficult to play correctly in many situations. They are not top pairs which are easy to go all in with like QQ, KK and AA and they are not like smaller pairs which are good to just pay and see flop with. Saying that i don't see any tendency of these pairs to be more unlucky than other. They just need careful examination and adaptation to particular situations to play them properly.

D

darcagegns

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket pairs are hard to play in general.
I usually try to control the pot and not overcommit.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are many ways to play JJ according to the table mood and number of opponents you are playing against (from limp, check raise to all in) but the basic strategy is raise and wait for the flop. If it shows another J (wow) and an A or K, play fast. This is only the basic. No superstition at all