Jeff Gross (Poker Pro) - Ask Me Anything!

Newmember_5

Newmember_5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning Jeff, can u give me advices for tournaments with 1000+ players or generally tips? I always lose in tournaments just won a not real money tournament.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeff Gross! Please unban me from your Twitch streaming channel. I got banned for spoiling one of your hands a long time ago, I promise to never spoil any of your hands again, I am a big fan of yours, please unban me. My screen name is tmedicine on Twitch. If you can't do it yourself then, please, tell your moderators to unban me. Thanks a bunch for this if you do this for me. Looking forward to your reply. :) Your biggest fan, Trevor Medicine.
Yes! Just requested it :)

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
May I ask you, what was your daily or monthly income by poker, when you decided to run it as your main business? And what made yourself confident to do so?
Great question. I will not share super personal financial information but can tell you that building a twitch/youtube/website has been a fun process but also one that takes lots of work & time. I was playing poker since high school; once I graduated college while in a period of some uncertainty I just stuck w/ poker. Truthfully I think for several years I was just getting by w/ out working so hard & was bit lucky that the game was so much softer then. I have shifted some of my focus into the business side of things. I have also always been very aware of creating different revenue streams & being involved with affiliate programs & understanding how to make these work for products I use. One thing I want to be very clear on is that being a professional poker player is not all fun and games. There are highs and lows you must deal w/ & working into it is important. Also having other revenue streams & or support is paramount. You also are able to play your best when you are relaxed & not stressed. I had a fairly natural rising thru the ranks & never shot my roll or took silly risks. I was confident to do it because I loved the game and what it represents & believed that this is what I wanted to do. The freedom of making your own schedule is what drew me to this initially.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone! My name is Jeff Gross & I am a professional Poker player that streams on Twitch (JeffGrossPoker.tv) as well as creates YouTube videos (JeffGrossPoker). It would be great for you to come stop by my stream on Twitch (I am on every day now - September 17th) & you can ask me any questions here! Thank you - Jeff

is it normally to play 14 straight hands on a poker table without picking a nice hand or even getting a pair? in the situation tried bluffing my way out but my opponents usually have something, so they definitely call.:confused::confused:
Hey! I am not sure I understood the question but I will say that variance is a real thing! It could be way more then 14 hands at times; don't think of it this way. Each hand is a puzzle & you do the best you can on that hand. Thinking about X or Y # of hands can get you into trouble! Be present & play your best based on the given hand situation. Every hand the position changes & stack sizes change so don't worry if your cold for a bit!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. I have two questions.

The first one is how manyman times have you hit rock bottom (0$ bankroll) before you became a winning player?

How many hours a day you play online poker, and on which poker platform?

And one more, sorry, what is your favorite poker platform to play on?
Hello there in Croatia! I am fortunate to say I did not hit $0 on my way up but I started very small & always took calculated risks and if anything was maybe too risk adverse and could have accelerated stakes more quickly then I did but that's just how my brain is programmed.
I don't really play a set hours. I stream now on twitch when I play online (JeffGrossPoker.tv) & when I play I play on pokerstars (which I am sponsored by). This has the biggest prize pools, best software & where I played primarily before signing w/ them as well.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff,

What was the biggest obstacle for you when you first were starting out?

Cheers!
:beerglass
Free time I would say. When I really started getting into it I was playing a high level of soccer as well as in school. Along w/ a social life and other hobbies I enjoyed I don't think I gave it 100% for a while. I would say for those that are beginning; ample time studying is key. It's fun to dive right in but doing the work is important & will save you lot of energy & money moving fwd!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm looking forward to playing at the same table as you online in the near future.
How important is PT4 to your play online...say on a scale of 1-10?

Thank you for being such a great resource and I hope you make millions!
Thank you! I would say PT4 or any HUD (Heads Up Display) is pretty critical. I would say 9.5 on importance... I don't really know anyone who doesn't have one. Even for the basic functions like BB & VPIP PR it's just a must!

For those of you that don't know what this is in reference to. On my website; JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation there is a banner for PT4 there!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff, what can I do to relax and control my mindset when a have a bad beat?
deep breathing. Also I work w/ Elliot Roe who is a genius. He has a cool program online as well you could check out, there are some MP3s as well that I find useful.

JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff - I really enjoy your twitch shows.

It seems to me that poker is a mix of:
a) math,
b) sizing up your opponent(s),
c) position,
d) luck,
e) thinking on your feet, i.e., being able to quickly recognize and take advantage of situations that present themselves.​
I wonder if you might share the importance/weight that you feel each has on your success, and/or if there are other important factors?
All of the above I believe are paramount. The math aspect is huge. Your bet sizings in particular on the flop & turn are super important. The differnce between betting 50% and 70% pot in spots adds up a ton. I would also say the mental side of the game is critical. Being rested, focused, present is highly underrated.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff, glad you are here. So I didn't have time to read through all the questions already asked. If this is a repeat please pardon me. The biggest place my game lacks right now is card reading. I find myself every now and again make the right fold, the right call, or bluffing in the right place, but for the most part I really struggle to read cards. What would you recommend I do to improve on this?

Please and thank you,

:evil:Zer0:evil:
If by read cards you are referring to putting your opponents on a hand range this will be done w/ getting reps in. Also I would suggest to really focus on hands your not involved in and start to put ppl on hands. Often times it won't go to showdown but it will sometimes & that practice adds up. Watch some Twitch/YouTube videos as well and listen to the streamers/players articulate ranges & why! Some great courses out there on this; if you would like to know more happy to share w/ you or check my website JeffGrossPoker.com

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeff - what's going on?

I'm curious what has been your greatest regret in your poker career so far?
My biggest regret was making an emotional shove in South Africa Alpha 8 $100,000 buy in. I had played well that tournament even having a nice 4bet bluff on Phil Ivey pre flop. It ended up being a mtt that turned into a SNG w/ only 10 total entrants. 3 Paid out and I was chip leader w/ 4 left. Myself, Jungleman, Jason Mercier & the one amateur who had 4bb at one point only when the other 3 of us were healthy. I called his all in utg 4 handed w/ J4ss which was marginal and then few hands later shoved on Jungleman's open w/ A8o and he called w/ 88. I knew he was gonna be opening super wide and give me lot of credit but he called and I lost. Jason Mercier was very short also and would have shoved from the BB and busted... that was a $200,000 min cash and it was also the longest flight in the world at the time Joburg to Atlanta... That hurt badly & took a while to shake off. Playing the bigger buy ins I sell action as well and was just a tough one to swallow to give that report knowing I made an error. It was a good lesson but also one that I won't forget.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi jeff, congratulations for your journey, please give me advice about my game, I play well until the approach of the bule, and I share on tilt against players who abuse raises and I ended up losing
Yes Tilt is a big part of poker. Many players play a solid game the majority of the time but they have a really bad C game. This comes w/ practice and mental toughness. Teaches own; I would suggest picking up if you feel yourself heading in that direction or take a dinner break or walk it off if you feel this emotion of tilt entering inside of you!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Jeff. Will follow your stream for sure.

And one question: How many hours per day of studying/playing poker you think is necessary for someone to achieve a high level? And also, is it more important to play or study? I really love playing and want to set up new goals, but since I have to work full time, I don't have a lot of time for playing poker.

Thanks.
It's really hard to say w/ out knowing your base. If you are fresh starting out it is a long journey. If you have fundamentals & experience 1 hour of studying a day can go a long way. It sounds like time is a factor so I would suggest getting some material to look at and setting aside a set amount of time a day even if it's 30 min. I would set a 1:1 ratio for studying and playing until you feel more solid. It's okay to have Poker as a Hobby; just try to make that + ev hobby or not a - ev one at least!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big fan of Jeff, very amusing streamer to watch :) keep it going
I really appreciate the kind words! Thank you for the support, I hope to see you on the Twitch streams!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you manage to maintain your bankroll and how to overcome the tilt?!
Managing a bankroll has become more polished as the years have gone by. I have a good system for what I want to risk in what formats. I also have supplemental income and a well diversified portfolio of revenue streams that has a nice padding for me that takes away pressure of playing in a cash game or mtt that I play. If i feel a bit off/cold I may sell more then I would or if I'm hot and in the zone I may press a bit more but I keep it down the center of the fairway most of the time. Bankroll management is key and def a vital part of longevity in this beautiful game!

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oui, le tilt est une grande partie du poker. Beaucoup de joueurs jouent un jeu solide la plupart du temps, mais ils ont un très mauvais jeu de C. Cela vient avec la pratique et la force mentale. Enseigne propre; Je vous suggère de vous y mettre si vous vous sentez dans cette direction ou de prendre une pause dîner ou de vous en aller si vous sentez cette émotion d'inclinaison entrer en vous!
thank you Jeff for your anwer and your advice

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi Jeff thank you very much for this topic and for donating a little of your time and your knowledge to us CardsChat members ..... I really enjoyed knowing that you feel a little Brazilian because of your wife being a Brazilian .. .. I hope I can play with you in some game here in CardsChat and I managed to win ... lol ... always success in your journey

Cleber Wagner

2Rockets2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Help lol

I have a pretty good grasp on range and position as well as how chip stack plays a huge roll in style but i think my problem is focus loosing it i bluff way to much. Any suggestions on maintaining focus would be greatly appreciated.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've won 3 entries into the Sunday Million over the last three weeks (including today) by winning a Spin N Go ticket ($11, $22), then by winning the SNG satellite...after several attempts.

I encountered "gettingpwned" several times during the SNG's.
One of my earlier posts stated that "I'll be thinking like an Orca to make meals of sharks."

I've been able to satellite my way into some of the bigger games at Party, ACR and 888 and have made notes on some of the usual suspects there also (these are all CardsChat venues).
Two questions please:

1. What database lookup (HendonMob..sharkscope...) should I review, if any, to study the kinds of players I'll be facing on the virtual felt in the bigger games?

2. Can you recommend some of the toughest online games you're aware of at poker stars or is the price point self-explanatory?

Thank you Jeff!

Z

zaf007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello jeff! When was the time you decided to become a professional poker player?Was it when you hit your first big score ? Also do you still enjoy the game as gou used to or see it more of a work now?

T

tom sullivan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginner questions

Hi Jeff, I was wondering if u could help me with I guess a theory question? Say we are in early position with KQ KJs etc. we open or 3 bet and completely miss the flop what do we do? We completely miss flop and turn what do we do? Thanks for the info!

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just referencing the above post: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gen...oss-poker-pro-ask-me-395777/post-4728653.html,
"PocketFives" seems to be a good site as well.

As a recreational, studious but exclusively online player presently, my goal is to earn $100k online before the year is out. My ability rating on SharkScope shows a high of 67 and yours as JeffGross on Poker Stars, shows as 77. Before I commit to maintaining a larger bankroll on the site, my present bankroll ranges from $20-$70 and I withdraw regularly, should I try to win some of the micro stakes MTT's and pay my way into larger tournaments or should I keep working at winning satellite entries to the larger MTT games?

Last edited:
fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning Jeff or good afternoon, whatever time you read it, hopefully you're fine, will you ever play some cardschat freeroll? It would be great

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dear Jeffrey

Did you play College soccer? what position?

Also, how do other cardschat members get a hot Brazilian wife

Cheers

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I still do not allow myself to play poker live because of the emotions, any tips so that I can get rid of the emotions?