Jeff Gross (Poker Pro) - Ask Me Anything!

drubas

drubas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dear Jeff,

just would like to say: Thank you!

Should not sound strange but I definitely appreciate watching your stream and other videos. Your performance combines humour, determination and fun.

All the best for your future projects. I am pretty sure there are many things aheard.

Greets

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Gross, keep the good work up, thanks for helping the community!

Hey! Thank you for the kind words it’s great to he here!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What advice do you give to someone whowants to become a full time poker pro?

I would say make sure you ease into it. Take your time, don’t just dive into it. Study it, play part time/Segway into it. Also sell some action &/or have supplemental income to take away some of the stress / pressure. Make sure it is always fun!

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeff

I’ll be playing a big buy in tournament than I would normally play next month. Normally I don’t let money effect the way I play - but I know somewhere subconsciously I may do.

Do you have any advise to overcome this nervous traits as I’m starting to progress in the higher buy in MTT games

Good to have you here

James

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeff

I’ll be playing a big buy in tournament than I would normally play next month. Normally I don’t let money effect the way I play - but I know somewhere subconsciously I may do.

Do you have any advise to overcome this nervous traits as I’m starting to progress in the higher buy in MTT games

Good to have you here

James

James! That’s awesome to move up and take some shots. I would suggest to play in what your comfortable (sell some to friends or on StakeKings.com for example) if you feel it’s making you not play your best. I would suggest to be there on time and very focused and take deep breaths!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear Jeff,

Should not sound strange but I definitely appreciate watching your stream and other videos. Your performance combines humour, determination and fun.

All the best for your future projects. I am pretty sure there are many things aheard.

Greets

Hey! Great to be here & I appreciate the kind words!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What advice do you give to someone whowants to become a full time poker pro?

Really think about what that looks like for you and your life. Have some supplemental income and ways to take the pressure off before going into it full time. Make sure you have good steady games & a support system to speak with and to be learning/studying as you go to improve not just playing.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think about a forum vs forum battle? Cardschat vs 2+2 ?

LavaStorm

LavaStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone! My name is Jeff Gross & I am a professional Poker player that streams on Twitch (JeffGrossPoker.tv) as well as creates YouTube videos (JeffGrossPoker). It would be great for you to come stop by my stream on Twitch (I am on every day now - September 17th) & you can ask me any questions here! Thank you - Jeff

JeffGrossPoker Twitch

https://www.youtube.com/jeffgrosspoker

JeffGrossPoker

Hello Jeff , i would like to ask you about how to control my exitment when i win a big pot and stay concentrate on my goal, because most of the times when i win a big pot in a tournament i start to become more lossy player than i was when i had my little-average stack. Thank you.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think about a forum vs forum battle? Cardschat vs 2+2 ?
This would be cool! I have only been on CardsChat now 2+2 but could be a fun event!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Jeff , i would like to ask you about how to control my exitment when i win a big pot and stay concentrate on my goal, because most of the times when i win a big pot in a tournament i start to become more lossy player than i was when i had my little-average stack. Thank you.

It is very important to stay even keeled. My Dad always told me, "Win as if you expect it, loose as if you like it". It is important to stay grounded, not show too much emotion good or bad. Act like you have been there before & also when showing frustration it will look really weak to opponents. There is lots of mindset work out there, happy to talk to you more about it if that interests you! Also on my website I cover some of this!

All the best!
Jeff

LavaStorm

LavaStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very important to stay even keeled. My Dad always told me, "Win as if you expect it, loose as if you like it". It is important to stay grounded, not show too much emotion good or bad. Act like you have been there before & also when showing frustration it will look really weak to opponents. There is lots of mindset work out there, happy to talk to you more about it if that interests you! Also on my website I cover some of this!

All the best!
Jeff

These are some great tips my friend Jeff! I would be very glad if you could continue explain me some things that i have never consider before to make me more solid player. Its such a nice thing to have a pro player like you in your back :) thanks a lot i apriciate it.

S

SatisfyMe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what determines when a poker player becomes a pro? Being a pro helps or hurt you in getting action. Is it better for a pro to play tournaments or cash games?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear Jeff,

Greets
Very nice of you to say! I am really excited about the Podcast that I have just started. Hope to see you checking in! This game is beautiful! Let's keep promoting it in the proper light.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what determines when a poker player becomes a pro? Being a pro helps or hurt you in getting action. Is it better for a pro to play tournaments or cash games?

Really when you make your money primarily from poker (or partially can be too) determines if your a pro. That depends about action, for home games can hurt you specially w/ good tournament results.

I think tournaments are currently more plentiful of beginning/weaker players (online for sure). Live cash can be good as well. Hope this helps!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a new player which do you think is the better investment if I'm only spending my earnings while building a bankroll. A HUD and other programs like ICM/Sharkscope or saving up for a training program like Raise Your Edge or private coaching?

These are much different price points; but a HUD such as PT4 is mandatory and much less $ ( i give 2 Free on each of my Twitch streams at the end! So can try there as well :) ). RYE is huge and worth it, also have a code for discount: JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation

J

Johnsouth

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Jeff just wondering how do you keep composure after a bad beat?

S

SteveyG45

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Q5 play

Hi Jeff,
I've noticed to frequently that not only myself but in numerous hands the Q5 off has won a show down from many positions, even with a raise in front of it. Is this a stronger gambling hand than I think it is?

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jeff. I am also here for the first time, as far as I understand you are a professional player of the poker stars team. Nice to meet you. Be sure to subscribe to your channel on YouTube and Twitch. So far I have no questions, so I wish you good luck in poker. In the meantime, I read what questions you have already asked, so that I do not repeat them.

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone! My name is Jeff Gross & I am a professional Poker player that streams on Twitch (JeffGrossPoker.tv) as well as creates YouTube videos (JeffGrossPoker). It would be great for you to come stop by my stream on Twitch (I am on every day now - September 17th) & you can ask me any questions here! Thank you - Jeff

JeffGrossPoker Twitch

https://www.youtube.com/jeffgrosspoker

JeffGrossPoker

Jeff, what's the number one thing that separates a recreational player and a professional?

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really when you make your money primarily from poker (or partially can be too) determines if your a pro. That depends about action, for home games can hurt you specially w/ good tournament results.

I think tournaments are currently more plentiful of beginning/weaker players (online for sure). Live cash can be good as well. Hope this helps!

Why do you think that tournaments are currently more plentiful of beginning/weaker players

B

bttrkks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
im pretty new in the poker world and reading currently a grinders manual, which i really like. So i play currently only DON to pracctice a bit what i learned.

I have some questions to PokerTrackerStats: Which one are the most important for Tournaments?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jeff,
I've noticed to frequently that not only myself but in numerous hands the Q5 off has won a show down from many positions, even with a raise in front of it. Is this a stronger gambling hand than I think it is?
Q5o is def not a strong hand, I would avoid playing this almost always! With that being said, q5 I would rather have then q6 or q7 as it can make straights w/ the wheel. But would avoid putting money into the pot w/ this hand whenever possible!