Jeff Gross (Poker Pro) - Ask Me Anything!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a follow-up, if I may, have you ever won a big tournament (top 3 or 4 places) where you did not feel that you were getting a reasonable number of good starting hands, a reasonable number of favorable boards, and a reasonable number of lucky flips when it counted most?

I'm very serious about asking this question. Some days I feel like I just don't have a shot no matter how well I play. Other days I feel like all I have to do is try my best and good things will happen. Some of this is definitely attitude and being well rested as you say, but I've also had days when I was on top of the world in all things EXCEPT poker.
Yes there is for sure an element of luck & this happens of course! I think in my first six figure score I got 5th place in a 3,000+ person wsop event; I remember not getting many hands and staying between 8-17bb for the last 100 ppl!

T

think1n

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
good move?

Hey Jeff,
one question to one of my last hands.
As Qs...
preflop raise....2.5x BB (BB=2.000)
one call...
preflop: 2s 9s 8h
caller set 10.000...
all in from me 30.000...
call again and shows Kh 9c
no hit for me on turn & river for flush or pair.

Do you think this was too aggressive?

BR!

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there! Great question, the Mental side of Poker is really under rated. I def at times feel like the universe is conspiring against me so can relate! Remember variance is a real thing, also try to put in perspective how fortunate we are in the grand scheme of things being alive and able to have freedom to do things we love such as play poker. I work hard on the mental side of my game, meditation & good practices. I can recommend on my website; JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation Elliot Roe's material if your looking for a guide line. I use Elliot personally for calls before sessions but the online material is great as well!
Thanks for the reply and information given.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff,
So here's my question.

As you've obviously been successful both live and online what (if any) type of things do you use for hand type indication from an online game?

I've been fairly successful live and I've won a few online tournaments but I find myself to the point where online it's just always seems if you can even get heads up preflop the hand who chose to stay always hits the board like a Mack truck? It's either a stone bluff or they have the nuts or close? It's easier to size someone up across the table. Is there anything other than thier bet sizing you have found to be a tell or is a help to you when making a decision online?

I'm really talking more of the they have it they don't you know they are shoving whatever comes hands. What makes up your mind that maybe most people wouldn't consider?

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello, Jeff. I have a problem with playing in the middle stage of the tournament and near the bubble. at the very beginning I can collect a good stack (not always of course), but then everything starts to deteriorate. I go into standby mode (top cards ), the game slows down, the blinds devour my chips. in the end, not waiting for anything good I ended up stuffing and out. I have a pathological fear of garbage maps. if the opponents make 3-bet or more, I fold, and in the end my hand is the best. this happens quite often. the worst thing is to answer with a short stack. I ask for your advice from personal experience. what do you do with a big stack, and how do you play with garbage? Thanks. with respect to you, Vlad.

M

Mc_Terp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeff Gross love the twitch stream you are a poker beast and all around good guy! Also congrats on the future baby!

ARsergio

ARsergio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ty Jeff for streams of Costa Rica . vamooo! :)

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a new player which do you think is the better investment if I'm only spending my earnings while building a bankroll. A HUD and other programs like ICM/sharkscope or saving up for a training program like Raise Your Edge or private coaching?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeff Gross love the twitch stream you are a poker beast and all around good guy! Also congrats on the future baby!
Thank you so much! Back streaming today again!!!

L

LLUVV

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Jeff
I want to ask you what to learn or read for a enthusiastic losing cash game player at micro stakes. Having worked on games for 1.5 year but still losing!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Jeff
I want to ask you what to learn or read for a enthusiastic losing cash game player at micro stakes. Having worked on games for 1.5 year but still losing!
I would highly recommend RYE. You can check my website and get some info on discount codes. I am not sure if it would be practical for you if you play micro's but the investment would pay for itself down the line in my opinion.. If not there is free content such as youtube and twitch to watch streams and learn! RYE has free content as well.
https://www.jeffgrosspoker.com/affiliation

E

edijs126

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello , When did you start playing poker for the first time and why?

keontayB

keontayB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Gross, keep the good work up, thanks for helping the community!

A

abbershey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What makes you any better than anyone else in poker?

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Hey everyone! My name is Jeff Gross & I am a professional Poker player that streams on Twitch (JeffGrossPoker.tv) as well as creates YouTube videos (JeffGrossPoker). It would be great for you to come stop by my stream on Twitch (I am on every day now - September 17th) & you can ask me any questions here! Thank you - Jeff

JeffGrossPoker Twitch

https://www.youtube.com/jeffgrosspoker

JeffGrossPoker
Do you play straight poker online to make money...GTO maybe? Or do you ever get creative when your running well, or know the players?

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one thing i was wondering about pro players is did you have money or a bankroll to start with or did you start with nothing. what is it exactly that makes a pro a pro.

R

rgp007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good flow. Just thank you for sharing your games. One issue only. How many days do you play per week? GL+

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey! It's Jeff Gross Poker, Whats up ?? Nice to see you answering questions. Simple one here, Do you pay any online cash or is it strictly mtt's?? I am sure you will jump in some live cash games around the tourney schedule. Thanks for answering the "little" people.:eek:

keontayB

keontayB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Jeff, i have a question.
I like playing tournaments, but i get mad when everyone making all-ins, and big raises every time. Every single round. After 30-40 minutes i usually throw my cards almost every hand because i dont want to get knocked out from the tour, but they keep raising big amount of coins. Could you give me some advice about this?
Thanks.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jeff, congrats for your great work.
I have a question:
I do not know if you play or even like progressive KO tourneys, but I want to ask you if there is or if you uses some difference at EV calling situation depending on the amount of $ that you will receive if calling an all in of an opponent with less chips than you.
For example, if the cut off went all in with 7 BB [with a prize bounty in his head of 1,32]. The tourney is a 2,2$ progressive ko. You are with 30BB at the big blind, all the other players fold, you have AJ off. Is it EV+ to call to receive 1,32$? My point is there the EV call changing depending on the amount that you will win if you call and beat him? Ty.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Jeff, have you ever TILTED ? And if yes, do you just playing some hands to try to get back your composure ?
I appreciate your gesture.

L

Lebanesebaloney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What advice do you give to someone whowants to become a full time poker pro?