Jeff Gross (Poker Pro) - Ask Me Anything!

ARsergio

ARsergio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
eyy Jeff amigo energy this sunday vamoos! :D

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't worry you ran into some run bad when short stacked aq into ak twice but you did great! minus the 1/4 pot semi-bluffs and the opponent with 33 board of 99663 you coulda outplayed him but eh lots of choices for every situation seeya next stream

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tell me about poker learning. What, in your opinion, is the best way to learn now?

10 years ago I was reading books.

now it seems like watching videos and watching twitch is the best.

with all the paid subscription services out there and ability to buy personal coaching, programs etc in addition to free content on youtube it can be overwhelming!

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
welcome Jeff

Hello and welcome. Perhaps I need to watch you in action to see if I can learn anything about internet poker. Seems this is WAY different than "real" money poker at most of the online sites, as people seem to make "willy nilly" bets MAINLY because the money is usually "free", or they've earned the money thru "free" rolls, etc. I make solid bets with "power cards" quite often and seem to lose at least 75% or more of those hands...YET, I see morons playing silly cards to flops and making bets that don't make any sense for the "position or stack amount" they have...VERY frustrating indeed. Either way...I guess that's why they call it "gambling". Good luck.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Jeff, I would like to know how to follow your games on youtube, in order to learn with you some strategies of Poker, after all when we watch a PRÓ playing we learn a lot
Welcome, I hope to keep up with your broadcasts every

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeff, is the reason you live in Jersey solely for the purpose of playing on poker stars? I've noticed several dozen poker pros play on pokerstars but several are based out of LA.

I understand your not the ideal person to ask given that you never play micro stakes...but in your opinion or based off what you hear in the poker community... for grinders building a roll from $100 and playing micro tourneys where do you hear the softest games/sites are?

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi Jeff...

...that could be the name of this thread. I am a fan of your career Andre Akkari made a video and he talked a lot of good things about you. I like to get math concepts to support my decisions. I would like to know if there's some way to calculate the maximum rebuys. Other question about math too, I would like to know how to calculate the adjust of my ranges by the cost of the orbit.

Last edited:
C

collesut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Jeff
What do you think how should we play micro stakes tournaments on PS and am i doing ok if I am on 35% cashes in those tourneys?
6% percent Is very deep top 20 rest Is min cash or something like that?
Thank you

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

CardsChat Pro/Twitch Partnered Streamer
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm kdawg71 on ACR. Ever so often I get in a really bad funk. I feel as though I am making the correct plays, yet it's darned if I do, darned if I don't. The question I have for you is how do you deal with the mental aspect of the game when deep down you truly feel as though you are making the correct plays yet it seems as though you are getting penalized for making them. Truly in a bad funk kdawg71.
Hey there! Great question, the Mental side of Poker is really under rated. I def at times feel like the universe is conspiring against me so can relate! Remember variance is a real thing, also try to put in perspective how fortunate we are in the grand scheme of things being alive and able to have freedom to do things we love such as play poker. I work hard on the mental side of my game, meditation & good practices. I can recommend on my website; JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation Elliot Roe's material if your looking for a guide line. I use Elliot personally for calls before sessions but the online material is great as well!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually did try to watch you on stream today It wasn't you though it was some other guy. I probably got rerouted do you have a specific time you usually do on twitch?
hey a good way to get the cardschat peeps on your channel would be to stream the cardschat ACR tourneys. We'd love to watch something we all actually play in and we'd prolly be telling our friends hey watch this guy to watch us lol. no BS people love themselves at the poker table more than anyone else if you could incorporate the cardschat community in your stream and mabey even do some commentary on cardschat final tables live. You'd probably get a good hundred subscribers each time. Well if you do decide to let me know I'll help spread the word, and thanks for joining our community!!!
Appreciate you coming by to watch! I live in the USA and am sponsored by PokerStars so I only play/stream when I am outside of the USA (live in the Miami area). I have auto hosts setup so if I am off line it will direct you to one of those! I don't have a specific time, just when I am out of the country I try to do as much as I can! To answer the second part, I only stream PokerStars so couldn't do that ACR stuff! I had a sick Million Dollar Sunday chop 3 way on ACR back in Dec 2016 (video on my YouTube channel from this) was a 25 hour LIVE stream!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the play was solid it coulda been 77 or kq suited running it for his life but running into 88 was just bad luck unless you were hoping for bubble money(than fold/sitout). We play for first around here.Really not so bad sounds like the money, the flight and letting your backers down is what hurt u the most. the decision of raising with a5... were you actually raising a5 or were you stealing? if you were goin for the steal it was great spot, and unlike most i'll tell you folding waiting for the cash is a long term losing strategy
yea just didn't need to take the risk in that spot and got punished! Playing to win is great but in SNG/ICM situations lot of time sitting back is the move! Live & Learn & yes of course he could have not had such a strong hand and folded or could have gotten there!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tell me about poker learning. What, in your opinion, is the best way to learn now?

10 years ago I was reading books.

now it seems like watching videos and watching twitch is the best.

with all the paid subscription services out there and ability to buy personal coaching, programs etc in addition to free content on youtube it can be overwhelming!
Yes now some unreal good content! Lot is free but if you reallly want to take it to the next level I suggest RYE; on my website (JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation) I have discount codes for Raise Your Edge; the masterclass comes w/ a detailed Range Viewer that I believe alone is worth it's weight in gold. I use it and it has helped my game a ton, I still go over it now again whenever I can. Plenty of free videos too. I love your quote! That is my favorite quote to this day!!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Jeff, I would like to know how to follow your games on youtube, in order to learn with you some strategies of Poker, after all when we watch a PRÓ playing we learn a lot
Hey! Awesome, yes I have a website JeffGrossPoker.com that links my YouTube & Twitch as well. Twitch is the most interactive way to do this, JeffGrossPoker.tv (can turn LIVE NOW notifications on) but YouTube I put out several videos a week which are fun. Here is a link to my latest YouTube video:

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeff, is the reason you live in Jersey solely for the purpose of playing on poker stars? I've noticed several dozen poker pros play on pokerstars but several are based out of LA.

I understand your not the ideal person to ask given that you never play micro stakes...but in your opinion or based off what you hear in the poker community... for grinders building a roll from $100 and playing micro tourneys where do you hear the softest games/sites are?
Hello, not sure where you heard I live in NJ? I have never lived in NJ; I live between Miami, FL / Vegas / brazil but travel lot to stream LIVE poker on Twitch out of the USA. Yea the ones out of LA generally fly to Vancouver or mexico to go play online. I hear that the micro stakes are great for building a roll, if you have some good knowledge you should be a sizable favorite in those games! All the best let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...that could be the name of this thread. I am a fan of your career Andre Akkari made a video and he talked a lot of good things about you. I like to get math concepts to support my decisions. I would like to know if there's some way to calculate the maximum rebuys. Other question about math too, I would like to know how to calculate the adjust of my ranges by the cost of the orbit.
Hey thank you so much! I have much love for my irmao Akkari!! I am not sure I understand the question about Rebuys, happy to try to help just don't know what you mean here. I stream on Twitch; JeffGrossPoker.tv - when I am on LIVE streaming plz come by can talk in real time and answer more specific questions!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks again! What is your username on Twitch?

S

socram98

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo SuperTurbo

Hi Jeff, give a tip for tournaments Turbo and SuperTurbo..! Greetings from Venezuela!!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jeff - I really enjoy your twitch shows.

It seems to me that poker is a mix of:
a) math,
b) sizing up your opponent(s),
c) position,
d) luck,
e) thinking on your feet, i.e., being able to quickly recognize and take advantage of situations that present themselves.​
I wonder if you might share the importance/weight that you feel each has on your success, and/or if there are other important factors?

All of the above I believe are paramount. The math aspect is huge. Your bet sizings in particular on the flop & turn are super important. The differnce between betting 50% and 70% pot in spots adds up a ton. I would also say the mental side of the game is critical. Being rested, focused, present is highly underrated.
As a follow-up, if I may, have you ever won a big tournament (top 3 or 4 places) where you did not feel that you were getting a reasonable number of good starting hands, a reasonable number of favorable boards, and a reasonable number of lucky flips when it counted most?

I'm very serious about asking this question. Some days I feel like I just don't have a shot no matter how well I play. Other days I feel like all I have to do is try my best and good things will happen. Some of this is definitely attitude and being well rested as you say, but I've also had days when I was on top of the world in all things EXCEPT poker.

Last edited:
L

Looord

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New player, flipping early in tournaments?

Hi Jeff, first post here on cards chat, looking to learn and soak it all in like a sponge.
In a small field tournament, (less than 500-1000players) should I be taking flips early on, or bleed early waiting for more sure spots?

Thanks!

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same question ?

Would you like to know if I should risk more or if I should hold on with the intention of arriving at ITM?

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jeff, give a tip for tournaments Turbo and SuperTurbo..! Greetings from Venezuela!!
Hello there Venezuela!! This is very important to know push/fold ranges as well as calling ranges. On my website JeffGrossPoker.com/affiliation under snapchat this is a great tool for this! Best of luck!!

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when to play all in freeroll?
later stages! Early on ppl are gambling and playing silly, later when the money gets real is a good time, ppl give it away early be patient then