Is it wrong to call a clock on someone when u are not in the hand

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen in the last couple of years of the wsop me when someone is all in and somebody who isn't in the hand will call a clock. Is it considered bad etiquette too call a clock when u are not in a hand. do u also think that only the people that are still in the hand should call a clock on someone?

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think so. Sometimes the other player(s) in the hand won't want to make the call for fear their opponent may gain info. If a player is repeatedly taking more time than usual, or has had more than enough time to decide then someone has to do so. Plus, it is affecting the other players in that they are missing hands while the tournament clock is running. I don't recommend being anal about it though. It may come back to haunt you in a key situation if the rest of the table feels that you are.

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
and that someone is the dealer....right? isnt it there job to make sure noone takes more than allowed time?

I would say yes it is rude to call time when not in the hand. IMO:girlshit:

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen in the last couple of years of the wsop me when someone is all in and somebody who isn't in the hand will call a clock. Is it considered bad etiquette too call a clock when u are not in a hand. do u also think that only the people that are still in the hand should call a clock on someone?

It is not rude at all, given the time they are taking isn't influencing just them, it is influencing the whole table. You have a finite amount of hands you'll see at each level and if some bonehead tanks for 5+ minutes on a decision, they have decreased the number of hands you personally will see at that blind level.

Having stated this, it would have to be an extreme abuse of using time for me to call the clock (involved or not).

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
isnt it there job to make sure noone takes more than allowed time?

In the WSOP there isn't a set amount of time allowed like online. You have to ask the TD to start the clock and then the player has a set amount of time to act.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the situation, if they are nonchalantly taking their time and it may affect your stack when the blinds go up that I don't see why not, but if not I think you should be patient and wait it out if you are not in the hand.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had someone call the clock on me who wasnt in the hand in a cash game a couple weeks ago. I wasn't too happy haha...

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's considered bad form by most poker players, but as Loonbat said out of consideration for the other players if neither player is going to call the clock on the other, someone will eventually have to. It needs to be a really long time though (def more than 5 minutes) before it's going to go over well.

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember Tiffany Michelle doing this at the WSOP with about 50 players left. Not sure if it was edited for TV but she seemed to call it really quick and it vilified her for quite some time.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, she still gets grief over that.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I actually saw this video earlier today. Felt it was appropriate to share in this thread.

C

CalBandGreat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament poker is getting so damn slow, people need to start calling the clock way more often. After 2 minutes, I have started to call the clock no matter what the situation. Sometimes I will call it after 1.5 minutes if it is not a big bet. People have not been too happy with me since I started calling the clock more often, but I don't care anymore. All of this tanking makes it way less fun for the rec player to play tournaments. I have talked with a lot of bad players who like to gamble and they are really turned off by how slow the game has become. We really need a shot clock in poker, I know that it is going to be hard to implement, but it is worth it to try.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I'm sitting terribly short stacked, and the next blind level is gonna bust me...

Player starts stalling, I start screaming.

-

hegaboy1125a

hegaboy1125a

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen in the last couple of years of the wsop me when someone is all in and somebody...
If I'm sitting terribly short stacked, and the next blind level is gonna bust me...

Player starts stalling, I start screaming.

B

BomTombadil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea of a poker "shot clock" to keep the action moving.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not wrong or illegal but it's rude. Much like slow-rolling. It's not illegal or wrong but rude. This thread reminds me of 2008 WSOP Main Event when Tiffany Michelle called a clock on Snead for him to make a decision against Scott Montgomery's all-in.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Case in point... she was short stacked and bigger blinds were coming.

-

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tournament, it's not out of line but it's kinda considered rude. But you gotta do what you gotta do, the blinds are gonna go up, you've gotta try and play a lot of hands in that level before the level increases.

If it's a cash game, the guy better be taking +5 minutes before you call a clock.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Part of the game of poker is thinking fast. Call the clock after 45 seconds. put the pressure on to make a decision.

X

xCipx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on relly how long it is, if its been like 5 minutes u should stay out of it cause it does not involve u. But if someone is sitting there for 20 25 mins then mayber something needs to b said...

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournament, it's not out of line but it's kinda considered rude. But you gotta do what you gotta do, the blinds are gonna go up, you've gotta try and play a lot of hands in that level before the level increases.

If it's a cash game, the guy better be taking +5 minutes before you call a clock.

If it's a cash game, you can just leave and move to a different table....... No need to even call a clock. Only downside to this is, if you have bunch of fish at the table that you are currently taking advantage of. Other than that, there's really no reason to call a clock in cash games because you can even take a break and don't have to worry about blinds moving up.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow! This is a tough one to answer. As in all things poker, it depends on the circumstances.

For instance when Tiffany Michelle called the clock on they guy, he was trying to make a decision for his tournament life. Of course, with footage being edited, we really don't know how long he actually took. The other players at the table gave differing accounts as to how long he had taken before the clock was called, but none of them felt it was necessary for someone not in the hand to call the clock on him. Of course Tiffany Michelle justified it by saying she was short stacked. In fact, she had over 50 big blinds. While not a chip leader, I don't think that would be considered short stacked.

In the Negreanu hand shown above, it seems pretty outrageous to call the clock on someone after less than a minute has elapsed. It was so fast that it wasn't even clear to Daniel as to whether someone is actually allowed to call the clock on that fast. I'm not going to look it up in the WSOP rules right now. But off the top of my head, I'd say there is nothing stopping him from doing it. But you have to be careful about doing something like that. I heard a story a couple of years back. I don't remember if the guy who was telling it was the one who actually involved, or if he was just one of the players at the table when it happened. I wish I could remember who the players were. But the story goes that one guy calls the clock on the other guy, who didn't feel he had taken an unreasonable amount of time. The player whom the clock had been called on retaliated by calling the clock on the other player every single time action was on him. As soon as the player in front of the guy had acted he would just say "clock".

Then you have players like Yevgeniy Timoshenko, who, if we were being polite, would be described as deliberate. If we're weren't, we would say he plays slow as hell all the time, so much so that it prompted Annette Obrestad to call the clock on him after only a couple of minutes, in a hand that she wasn't involved in. In this case Timoshenko wasn't facing a bet. In fact he was holding a full house and action had been checked to him on the river. But with Timoshenko taking so long to act on every street, the hand had already taken so long that it was necessary to take a commercial break and come back to see the conclusion. Annette Obrestad was fed up and called the clock on him, and I don't really blame her. Timoshenko plays excruciatingly slow all the time. Seriously, it shouldn't take you five minutes to figure out how much to bet on the river with the nuts. Maybe to call, but not to bet. He didn't think it was cool of Annette. Annette wanted to see more hands. And again, I don't blame her. As she put it, he always takes an absurd amount of time.

So is it right? Is it rude? It depends on the situation and the circumstances. Obviously, someone might need to take a little more time when facing a big bet or an all-in. And of course a player should probably always take a little time to consider his hand, the board, the action in front of him, and weigh his options. Take a little time, not a lot. There is no need to Hollywood for the cameras. I know when your bluff gets raised you don't want to fold too fast, so it's not so obvious that you had complete air. But let's not go overboard. Like Tony G says, you can play ten tables at a time and make decisions in less than 30 seconds, and now it takes you five minutes to make every single decision. "Don't waste my time!" It may be rude for someone not involved in a hand to call the clock. But I think it's just as rude hold the game up.

If nothing else, respect the game.

Last edited:
wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me I think yes it's ok if it has been a really long time. I would think anything over 5 minutes would be considered a long time. I'd never do it tho, I'm way to passive.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they should be able to if it's taking an insane amount of time and the player in the hand isn't gonna call it. The example above with Daniel N. is wrong lol. He was obviously scared that Daniel was going to read his bluff and didn't want him to have time to think. It backfired though and it just looked weak.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands