Is it possible to live poker nowadays? Is it worth investing in the dream?

D

Dasndi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I'm new to poker and I'd like to know if it's worth just investing in poker today, especially in cash games, I met the game 2 years ago but I never made any investments and I have little experience and I've been thinking about doing some more cash coaches I'm still in nl2 and not if the ROI would be profitable, since in 2016 there are many regulars of the game, now I'm in doubt if it's worth even investing in cash games and try to become a regular and follow in the dream of being a Pro or if This is impossible today because I know big names like Gabriel Goffi, but when he played I think it was easier, I do not know if after years he would have the same success in the game, I know there are a lot of good players here and that Grindam for years, give me one out, people play real if it's worth even following this dream?

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, really, poker is a game that can be the base of your life, but as I search for those names like Gabriel Goffi, I see that poker, in the beginning, was just a hobby that became a lifestyle. So i think if u put your energy on it, im sure u can get great results, its just a matter of time and motivation

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You live in the perfect time to make poker your one and only income. What I mean is that you have a lot of poker sites, a lot of articles, poker pro tips and so on and so on. Back then the people who were good at poker were naturally born talents. There are so many poker rooms where you can enter with just 0.33 cents in a tournament which will give you a seat to a tournament with a prize pool = 300 000 dollars. The first place is 25 000 as far as I can remember which is my salary for 2 years. So my answer is YES.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i live of poker...correction, i survive playing poker. believe me, i hate gambling, i like poker as a sport and even better if i can get some money to survive. i'm not rich, i'll never be rich and i don't fking care that shit. i know that i could get good money in some jobs, but i love my freedom doing what i like.

311evo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been hit or miss on the online games. I've placed 21st and 24th in the two bigger tournaments I entered, both spots slightly out of the money. (Tough being a US player sometimes..)

Fortunately I average around $700/mo doing home games. It def helps to have a group of friends who love poker!

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think everything is possible, you just have to study and dedicate to poker and have a lot of patience, because it is not an exact science.

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remember that turning something you like, or even love, into a "job" will change your fondness for the game. Should you turn poker into a "job"? I suppose you'd have to look at what other careers you'd be giving up to do it. We all dream of hitting it big, that's part of the fun of playing. Getting there is something else entirely.

S

Steven Curkovic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I think it's possible. Or at the very least I think it's possible to make a substantial profit on the side while keeping a side job. Besides your general ability to play, it depends a lot on how serious you take it. Yes, these days there are many more regs than there were in the past. There's a lot more information out there to access and the game is a lot more popular, therefore it's natural players will be better. That being said, at the lowest limits (especially in live poker) you will find players who are inexperienced, only play recreationally or simply are just not as good. These are the players you will profit mostly off of. I think it's a matter of having a good bankroll management, studying the game more than your average recreational player and being able to build up discipline that will give you an edge. As terrible as it sounds, there will always be gamblers, bad players and people who want to play for fun who will always be loose and willing to throw money in the pot. If you can learn to take advantage of these players, even if you don't play as often as pros, you will manage to make a profit in the long run.

G

gencoal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people obviously do but they are the exception not the rule...so the only advice I would make is be careful. Take the chance when you can afford it but never throw all ....and keep you day job until you really don't need it.

P

ParagonPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its possible. Don't let anyone tell you the games too hard nowadays but don't rush in and leave yourself no out either!

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here's a perspective. say you decide to only play 5 days a week, and you buy in to a 1/2 game for 300 or whatever. If you only walk away with 100 bucks for net each day, that's 500 a week which is more than someone makes in a week working min. wage

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I live in a amazonic city from brazil, honestly, I've lost a lot of money for this game and It's impressioning but I know in my city very good players that get win huge prizes online, how is it possible?? what do they know and I dont know? But I know thousands of people that Lie about results and I shearch their nicks on sharkscope and the bang! The one is a looser. I dont know what to think...

Organize a Home Poker Game