Is it a shove?

C

ckahrs35

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I find myself with about 20 BBs in the big blind. At this point in the tournament we are down from 162 entrants to 24 with the top 17 making it into day 2(not in money). UTG +1 makes a standard open of 3x. This player has been super passive aggressive playing somewhere around 35 to 40 percent of his holdings as he sits on about 120 BBs himself. Folds around to button, who makes a flat call, he also has about 20 BBs and is a very strong pro. Small blind folds and I look down at AQ of spades. I think for about 45 seconds and ship it. As I suspected the UTG+1 player insta folds, but the button snap calls and turns over aces. The board runs out clean for him and sends me packing. Is this a good play or do you think a flat call is necessary here. (The flop came king high no spades so I would have gotten away from it post flop)

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 20 BBs I believe you could have seen the flop, there was no rush to shove. If you were near 10 BBs, then yeah, just shove. In your case, since AQs isn't even that strong, you could have just called to see the flop. You could also 3-bet for about 2.5x whatever was the initial bet to scare the UTG+1 and feel the strength of the Button. The button would definitely push you all in and you would be able to fold, but in this case you would lose a lot more than by just calling.

Overall, I think you overestimated your AQs, specially against two other players. My approach to this hand would be just a call.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From icm point it might have been a fold, but surely not a shove.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Binds, antes? Need more info... but likely ICM wise a ship is fine here. You still have too many spots to go and AQ is a great hand to pick up the money out there+blinds and antes w/o seeing a flop. Calling is ok as well, but you're going to be in ship mode there soon, so it's likely totally fine but w/ ante info this could be more conclusive. It's a simple calc.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I find myself with about 20 BBs in the big blind. At this point in the tournament we are down from 162 entrants to 24 with the top 17 making it into day 2(not in money). UTG +1 makes a standard open of 3x. This player has been super passive aggressive playing somewhere around 35 to 40 percent of his holdings as he sits on about 120 BBs himself. Folds around to button, who makes a flat call, he also has about 20 BBs and is a very strong pro. Small blind folds and I look down at AQ of spades. I think for about 45 seconds and ship it. As I suspected the UTG+1 player insta folds, but the button snap calls and turns over aces. The board runs out clean for him and sends me packing. Is this a good play or do you think a flat call is necessary here. (The flop came king high no spades so I would have gotten away from it post flop)

I'm fine with a shove here. The button played their hand tricky and most times you're not going to be facing a hand that strong flat calling on the button. It would seem that you were scooping dead money from early position raiser and seemingly button wouldn't want to play for stacks unless at top of his range. just sucks you ran into Ace's... gg

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think that close to the money you flat there. Next few hands you are in position to pick up the blinds or make some moves. Right around 9BB gets a lot easier to get it in.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me shove is correct here. You have low raise and call before you so AQ looks liek a good hand to steal the blinds here. Very good play from the button here but i think that you took the correct decision.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't shove in that spot . Good chance you would be in a coin flip with 2 players if they call . With a raise and a call there is also too much of a chance that 1 of them has you dominated . Good luck next time .

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when it comes to bubbles if I have 15+ BB I tend to avoid jamming unless I have high pairs. I probably would've called and gone from there, depending on what the UTG+1 player had it could've checked all the way to showdown.