What pro poker players have in common?

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always been amazed at the wide range of personality types in professional poker players.

Is there anything (other than playing poker) that they have in common?

Last edited by a moderator:
christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are a lot of poker players who play chess and I think that's what unites them all.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it´s a coincidence they are all smart...rsrsrsrs

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think all professional players combine patience, discipline, perseverance, the ability to learn and analyze the game. In general, these are the traits that are inherent in successful people.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is something of top professional poker players I admire, they must be their calmness and strong mind. They really always know what they should do and make the right decision especially when facing very difficult situations.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am not sure there is much poker players have in common with each other than the love of a gamble.

Mike Matusow, Justin Bonomo, Doyle Brunson...you could make endless list of players who bear no similarities to each other. As for chess, you might as well say golf.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each person is very different, so you should not look for something common in poker players.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I've always been amazed at the wide range of personality types in professional poker players.

Yeah, they have money:icon_sant

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I think all professional players combine patience, discipline, perseverance, the ability to learn and analyze the game. In general, these are the traits that are inherent in successful people.

Yes, they do have the discipline and patience. Those are the correct answers.

Yeah, they have money:icon_sant

Those aren't. Money comes AFTER the traits mentioned above. Very very very few of the professional poker players already started rich and became richer afterwards. The huge majority started as you and I and everybody else, by playing and learning, and persevering.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Yes we as poker players definitely have time as a common trait.
Dan'O

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They all have the same thing in common. They have been busted many times, slept on friends couchs, borrowed money they didnt pay back, but somehow perservered as only a crazy person would.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Discipline and patience, key in poker:)

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think to be a good pro player, a necessity is courage. Something I lack enough of when playing.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think all successful poker players must have discipline and patience.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What they have in common is that they are good mathematicians, but they also possess patience and courage.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that patience is a common trait that is common to all professionals.

kisjanik24

kisjanik24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

I think it's easier to make bigger bigger ones, it's bigger to fall bigger, the common thing they dare to risk better by doing so is better because the $ 10 player doesn't dare risk the river so much

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To earn your living with job so prone to variance hence sometimes substantial ups and downs requires strong mentality,great discipline and constant work to stay on the top. That is what they all have (and we - the normal players don't).

W

wizz99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience, ability to study and play well under pressure. Able to remove themselves from the emotion of a bad beat when they have made the correct play. Also good a memory so that they can remember player habits and the strategy they need to us in a certain spot.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’d say the biggest stars in poker are all passionate about the game and almost obsessed with it. Constant studying putting in hours on the grind and non stop poker thinking imo are all traits poker pros share.

P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
deck

everyone is smart are always thinking ahead of their opponent, more often the deck surprises

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Nobody has mentioned experience yet I think this is what most of the great pros have in common especially experience at the high stakes and the nosebleed level.
  • High-Stakes – 1000NL, 2000NL, 5000NL, 10000NL
  • Nosebleeds – 20000NL and up