If You Could Start Playing Poker All Over Again

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you could go back to the start of your poker playing experience, but with the benefit of knowing what you know now about poker, what would you change or do differently?

There is one thing that immediately jump to my mind: Knowing about Black Friday, I would have cashed out of Absolute Poker in time! :(

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I started post-Black Friday so really no changes as far as rooms go. One thing I would have liked to focus on earlier would have been recognizing and controlling tilt. Taking a more structured approach and learning the math would have helped too, rather than just mashing buttons.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you could go back to the start of your poker playing experience, but with the benefit of knowing what you know now about poker, what would you change or do differently?

There is one thing that immediately jump to my mind: Knowing about Black Friday, I would have cashed out of Absolute Poker in time! :(

As someone newer to poker, I just want to follow this thread and learn some good nuggets of wise advice :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I knew about Black Friday, I would have played more poker before that day, because online poker changed dramatically after 2011.
Also, I would have studied more about poker, because I don't think I have never studied enough about the game.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think I have said this before, but I would have deposited. I was determined to make a bankroll from nothing by playing freerolls and earning enough money to play the cash tables. This means I spent huge amounts of time playing in games that weren't really my focus (MTTs) and it also made my variance when I went to play cash pretty extreme. In the end, I succeeded in my goal. But, I think the costs far outweighed the benefits.

It took me ages to get a couple hundred dollars online. Once I reached that point, I was moving up swiftly (until Black Friday crushed everything). Who knows how high I could have climbed in the stakes, if I hadn't lost all that time playing freerolls.

N

nutzing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i wish that i knew what i know now when i was younger

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never to late to start regardless of hindsight. Can only control what is ahead of you. Thinking hypothetically is great, but taking the knowledge forward is the true learning experience.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never to late to start regardless of hindsight. Can only control what is ahead of you. Thinking hypothetically is great, but taking the knowledge forward is the true learning experience.

I think that there is also great value in doing retrospective evaluations that will help you in the present. So thinking about what I wish I had known earlier can be a good exercise towards understanding my current knowledge. And my current knowledge will help me going forwards. Do you agree?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
1. I would become a member of our community.
2. I would be a patient and disciplined player.
3. I, without haste, would build a bankroll playing in our freerolls.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I started playing poker on social media and for 6-7 years I played for the chips for fun !!! For a long time playing for game chips, I developed a lot of bad habits that I had to fix when I started playing for money !!! If I could go back to the beginning of my poker experience, I definitely would not start my game with game chips, or at least not so long !!!

Last edited:
ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To the best of my knowledge today, I would go back to around 2007 and quickly build up my bankroll to have a starting capital for the wsop and then win the main event ... and that’s when I woke up :D.

Unfortunately, my knowledge today would be too little for this, but I can may dream. :star:

I

ilciuca

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good question

I would have studied more about poker, I have never studied enough about the game.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Oh, this is easy. Bank. Freaking. Management.

I had a hot start to my poker 'carrier' back in the day, but I didn't had the appreciation of the money I won and how it was not easy to have such profit margins so I squandered it thinking if I did it once Ill do it again.

Nope.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that there is also great value in doing retrospective evaluations that will help you in the present. So thinking about what I wish I had known earlier can be a good exercise towards understanding my current knowledge. And my current knowledge will help me going forwards. Do you agree?

Most definitely, all part of learning is evaluation. Could have folded, got more value or adhere to ICM. That is the cornerstone of growth and profit, retrospect. What makes it great about a site like CC, you have that everyday if you seek it out.

We learn the game, feel confident enough to deposit and have mild success. We stumble to a site like this and it no longer why didn't I come here sooner. I'm here now, move forward and experience the individual growth. Could of, would of, should of, is all great but what have you done to move forward?

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would not deposit every week before the weekend
i think the algorithms have marked me as an eternal depositor

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never deposit, lol
Just play freerolls and see how the sites deal cards
And maybe afterwards make deposits if it is worth it

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I used to withdraw more money, I don’t even know what to say.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would just start playing earlier, my colleagues played - I just started playing much later - and missed the sweet times

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.I would choose 888 instead of pokerstars as my first site.(it was the third one).This is because I´ve earned more money there than the other two.I started on Stars in 2,010 and on 888 in 2,018,so I could have had 8 more years of earnings and a higher Poker Club Level

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Black Friday :) :D ....sadly Poker was not even an inkling in my mind at that time :rolleyes:

If I could back my original bankroll would help for a start!

I would avoid cash games in the beginning and avoid bonus traps like the plague :mad:

In general terms, it would be nice to learn Omaha in the early days.

N

nwhitney118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not start MTTs that might end up with me falling asleep at 4am if I run deep lol

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This

I would of watched this DVD first, it is a fantastic instruction on how to play and win at the game of Texas Hold’em.
CDE23E86 F60B 482A AEB3 889C8270F6DA

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think that I would have studied more before experience settled in and made studying kinda boring. Being new to a game makes it way more interesting and I think I would set my behind down to study back then and thus be able to constantly evolve as a player as opposed to being the decent nit I am the last couple of years...

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play more patiently

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have devoted more time to studying in my early days. I also wish I had switched from sng's to tournaments sooner.