I need the best discipline advice

N

NeonTiger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, i've been playing for a little over a month now, i deposited 50 dollars to lock poker. I built it up to 500. I just hit the worst tilt of my entire because of 2 bad beats. I lost every damn cent. I've tried to work on my discipline in the past, and nothing seems to work. I am very dissapointed in myself. I just need to good quality advice.

The hands that caused this. I had KK he had AA. flop comes 9 K A. This is at .50/1 blinds. He shoves. This player has been playing almost every single hand. So i call. Poor decision.

After this, I re-buy at a different table. I recieve A4 and the flops come 2 5 8, i see me to be in pretty good shape. the turn comes a 3. So i hit my straight. I now have about half my chips in the pot. He re-raises to the point where i go all in.

The river a 6. He just happens to be holding 7 9.

That sums up poker tilt.

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys, i've been playing for a little over a month now, i deposited 50 dollars to lock poker. I built it up to 500. I just hit the worst tilt of my entire because of 2 bad beats. I lost every damn cent. I've tried to work on my discipline in the past, and nothing seems to work. I am very dissapointed in myself. I just need to good quality advice.

The hands that caused this. I had KK he had AA. flop comes 9 K A. This is at .50/1 blinds. He shoves. This player has been playing almost every single hand. So i call. Poor decision.

After this, I re-buy at a different table. I recieve A4 and the flops come 2 5 8, i see me to be in pretty good shape. the turn comes a 3. So i hit my straight. I now have about half my chips in the pot. He re-raises to the point where i go all in.

The river a 6. He just happens to be holding 7 9.

That sums up poker tilt.

Have you watched Rounders? That's a great lesson in how not to manage a bankroll properly. Although he probably started his roll from a better foundation than you did... he still blew it just the same... and never learned his lesson even if he ended up in the black by the end of the movie.

Some days I step back and wonder how many times Mike McD went busto.

I

iampi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll Management is important. You build up your bankroll faster by moving up without adequate buyins, but with even greater speed you will lose it.

As for tilting, don't constantly think negatively about the hand. Remember that bad beats are frequent. Next time, just focus on the fact that you played the hand well, and move on to playing.

Also, make sure you begin playing when you are in a good mood, and quit when pissed.

P

pokspoka

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definetly bankroll management,unfortunatley Im talking from experiance of having bad BRM or breaking it many times.if you have many buy ins the bad beats dont affect you as much.

T

telboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 words

BANKROLL MANAGEMNT

D

dejanbgd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am impressed how You gone from 50 to 500 over one month, on which levels You play? Stay on that levels if You have results, respect your bancroll and dont push on higher levels if You are on tilt because bad beats. GL

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
built it up to 500......This is at .50/1 blinds.

Playing 100NL with a $500 bankroll is a recipe for disaster. No wonder you tilted after losing a couple of buy-ins! If you have 20-30 buy-ins for a level it is far less tilting to lose a couple. You should be playing 10NL with that roll imo.
GL for the next try :)

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break from the tables!
You did not do any thing wrong, just bad break!
Worse thing is to keep playing on tilt.
We get irrational and they make poor descision when this happen!
Take a breather. Dont go back to the tables until your head is clear.
Sometimes that may be few minutes, few hours or maybe one day or weeks.
Remember it's easy to lose discipline, but its harder to regain it.
Good Luck!

Z

ZNT746

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were playing way too high. Bad beats and cold decks are GOING TO HAPPEN, nobody can avoid them no matter how good they are. But obviously when you lose $100 of your $500 bankroll it's going to sting a lot worse than it would if you were using proper BRM. And just walk away from your computer if you're pissed off, go eat, lay down, smoke some relaxing herbal supplements (if you're into that sort of thing) :canabis: and come back when you are clear-minded and ready to play.