How did you start playing poker?

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty much all down to Poker after Dark. Wow! Kinda crazy when I come to think of it!! What if I didn't stay up late? & watch NBC?!

chezzzi_qwe

chezzzi_qwe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 years ago i will play my first game on online room on PS...I don't remember how it started

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A favorite topic, and fond memory. Growin up in the south, I never even held a playing card. But when I met the love of my life, he downloaded pokerstars, and taught me. i was eager, so that we would have his great love in common. I was hooked. Been playing ever since.

zippaya

zippaya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always enjoyed playing games, from when I was a little kid. I used to play cards with my brother, and as the time went by, I became familiar with poker.

From that moment on, poker became my favorite game. Nowadays, whenever I get a free moment, I take a seat and enjoy the game.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well when I'd been watching a tournament video, I felt they looked cool, smart and the prize was so big. So I started to play poker at that moment.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I was led to the poker TV broadcast. Before that, I did not even know this game.

GregoryLinch

GregoryLinch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I was at university, there was very little money. And a friend advised me to try poker. He did not play professionally, but it brought him some profit. I, like everyone else, began pokerstrategiyu no deposit, but lost it. I was skeptical about poker as long as the won $ 180 in a large freeroll on pokerstars, from the moment I fell in love with this game, but I'm not saying that it gives me a permanent income, but sometimes it turns out to win money:)

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found about poker on some youtube video and got interested immediately. First time I didn't understand anything but more I played more I liked the game. I always was a fan of the card games and no surprise I got charmed by this game.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a very basic understanding of the game before I ever played for money. I was at a bar and my cousin found a poker game so we all left and went to a home game. $1 antes. I dropped $100 in the first hour. By the end of that night I had come out about $450 ahead for the night. I was hooked. It has taken me a long time to have some kind of a grasp on Texas Holdem. I have played a vast amount of hands in my lifetime, and am gradually picking up ideas of the game and constantly experimenting with different thoughts and ideas of the game and molding my game from all of this.

keontayB

keontayB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was about 10-11 years old when my cousins taught me. We were playing small offline tournaments for 1 or 2 dollars, at home.
Then I registered on PokerStars and in fell in love with it.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My cousin taught me when I was 12 lool

Let's see, I was 14 yrs old and I was into shooting pool. I went to this pool hall across the street from my house that I would walk too. Back then they didn't care how old you were lol. So they were playing this free poker league, and I noticed the dealers were getting a dollar from each one of the players. I asked the person running it why are they giving that person a dollar, and he said they are tipping him for dealing the game. I said that's cool can I deal?? The guy said do you know anything about poker? I said no but I can learn. So he took me to the second table showed me all the rules and how to deal. Since then I have dealt for over 16 years, and competed at some of the highest levels of poker.

J

jbosker84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing poker like many from my generation. It all started with the 2003? wsop when Moneymaker won it all. But it wasn't Moneymaker that inspired me...it was Sam Farha with the unlit ciggarette and extremely solid play. Also, I believe that was my first time seeing Phil Ivey, who was young and showed that poker was a game of skill that anybody could master if you put the time in.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ah, there are a lot of good stories ITT. When I was about 14, I was at a sleepover at a friends house. His Mom, Dad, couple of uncles, Grandpa, and a few of their friends would play a home game with DIMES. We wanted to go to a movie, but they were playing their weekly game. So no movie for the kiddos. They instead bought us in for $10....my results....who knows, but it was fun since my parents were strict. Felt like I was drinking, smoking, and shooting the bird (I wasn't but it was fun). I still play in that home game 15 years later. It is kind of sad since we are down to about 4 or 5 players now.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was introduced to poker by my friend Shayne. We used to play for free at our local sports pub. I won a tournament there and was hooked ever since. You could say I'm obsessed with the game. I am now hooked on Omaha too as well as regular holdem.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe the most important message I read on here

A coworker used to make big $$$ playing... he is now broke and was even shot at 3 times due to gambling debts.

He never evolved with the game, he had some big scores here and there, including a WSOP 2nd place. But now he has a gofundme set up to pay his debt and avoid getting murdered.

Its a nasty game.

I too have racked up some semi heavy debt in this game. One of my debtors is a sketchy outfit. Wonder if I have to watch my back. sobering message

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played lots of card games growing up so knew the basics and when the local watering hole had a free Texas Holden tourney I went for it.had no idea other than hand rankings and was told twice by the host I needed to use both cards.was cheated out of first but second fitted better as I got some goodies instead of a bar tab I would really given away.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I began to seriously study poker at the end of 2017. Before that, I tried to play conditional chips on the PS platform.
Since then in poker almost every day

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I worked as a dealer

and therfore had plenty of time watching the game and the players. But to be honest most of the time poker dealers are the worst players. :confused:

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My local snooker club started a poker club - I used to win there all the time and now think i was good!

Oh how I have I learned I’m not haha

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a card dealer

I used to deal cards for three years. So I had enough time to watch the game and the players. Then I read a couple of books about strategy and tried to play myself.

It has been working out well for me so far, but I still think that many dealers are the worst players.:cool:

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing after seeing some on TV and then started playing online. This was back when we could play on any site we wanted here in the US. I sure hope they start letting us play again on any site. It's a lot tougher to find a good site to play on with a lot of Volume.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing as a kid. My family, 12 aunts and uncles, would have fun games at Grandmas! I learned early even the best players get sucked out by the worst...LOL

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It was very boring I downloaded pokerstars. LOL

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in fact I do not even remember how old I started playing poker, but it was early too, between the ages of 13 and 17. I saw on TV about this game I went to look for some site that he had to play, nor had any idea of ​​such famous rooms as pokerstars, partypoker and etc ... Until I found an online where people played and I kept watching the tables to learn , over time I learned to play just by looking and I started to search for things on the internet, and that's how I fell in love with this game!

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i say a girl playing poker on TV, Poker After Dark and thought i like do that... school was on summer break, so last May (2018) I began to study and learn poker... i worked on learning poker all summer almost 12-15 hours a day...
i bought 19 various books, bought all kinds of software, bought different training programs and watched poker videos like mad
and i played daily in freerolls and play money places like Relay and PokerStars (playmoney)
now i play for micro stakes at PokerStars, PartyP and 888
and I still study and learn