How can you congratulate someone when you play good but lose to luck?

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious cause a few tourneys I have recently played in, I have played the hands the way they were supposed to be played but lost to a bad player winning on luck? I know telling a losing story is out of the question, yet to sit there and say nh when you played good or even great to lose to luck.

For instance I have King, Queen(S) and I raise 3X the big blind. Someone calls while the rest folds. To eventually lose to the person playing Q,4. They ended up with 2 pair of Queens and 4's. Then later raise the pot and go all-in with QQ's to lose to a early middle positon player with Ace,8 off suit that went all in on my raise? Is there something about position that these players don't understand??

Yesterday about the same thing happened. 3x the BB with KK's to have a early position player bet all-in on pocket 8's. Ended up losing to 3 of a kind.

I am not whining or crying about losing, Just wondering why don't some people do some studying or reading instead of jumping into the water head 1st?? Yet they expect you to say NH when you lose to luck?

My problem to learn now when playing these people.. read the board more and understand why they do this. Any suggestions and opinions are welcome cause one can never stop learning.:)

Alson need to Forgot the "Ego" in me and nead to learn not to be Married to the Pot Syndrom.

K

KK_Cowboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I simply do this

I encrouage whoever made the bad play to keep doing what they are doing and see just how far they get. Any real player knows that people like the clown who hit two pairs with Q4 off against KK will lose a hell of a lot more than they win.

S

smtbonzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you could always say gh or that sucks for me. Anything really that you want. Just remember that just because it is not a hand you like to play doesn't mean it isn't playable. I completly understand that there are more desirable hands than the one that the other person was holding, however, unfortuanly for you, it wound up being the better hand to play. Like cowboy said, just wait and see where that person winds up at.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My apologies cause I sat back and realized that I did indeed played 1 of those hands badly. I didn't see a "tell' cause I got married to the pot syndrome. On the turn against the Queen,4 I got re-raised very very quickly. So yes I had a decent hand to start but missed the "tell". I made what seemed like a good play at the time actually a bad play by calling. Then I even bet the river which the person had called. Had I recognized the re-raise and analized it. I would have realized then I was beat. So in actuality I also beat myself. Another lesson learnt.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best response to the moronic maniac who sucks you dry? Nothing. Stone silence. If he puts you out, walk away. If you're still at the table, turn off your chat, get up, walk around, cool off, shake it off, sit back down, and try to play as if it never happened. Firing the first shot in a no-win argument with a faceless idiot is useless. He thinks he just made the play of the century and you're not going to change his mind about that. But you just might take all his chips an hour later when he tries the same lame play and you bust him good.

Secondly, do yourself a huge favor and forget the concept of "the way you're supposed to play poker". Congrats on making the effort to read up and improve your game. That time spent is a great investment in becoming a better player. But you'll drive yourself insane if you think that everyone at your table is going to play "by the book". For one thing, two-thirds of them can't read. And, most importantly, not even the top level pros play conventional cards ALL the time. They mix it up. They play with their gut. They GAMBLE.

It would be a much less frustrating game if everyone played poker by the numbers. But it would also be a lot more boring!

B

bowdoinchest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that "Go F**K yourself" usually works well in these situations!

D

dborange

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
same thing happened to me to guy goes all in when everyone else folded before him trying to get me out i have kj i know he bluffs a lot and is not very goood he turns over jack three hits his three on the river. Any time something like that happens to you things just seem to go down from there thats what if you win a tournament your more then likely not have had to take a lot of bad beats. You don't say good hand at all they should apologize to you.