How to spot the fish at the table?

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appologize if this subject has been discussed recently.

Im sure some will answer that it's obviously the one losing his money. But I want to know what experienced players look for. Is it Position, C-Betting, Calling, Over Betting, etc?

Trying to get serious about this stuff and really want to take my game to the next level. Not only do I want to spot the soft players... I also want to make sure that I try to avoid being one of them.

Thanks

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players who have to see every flop are an immediate sign I notice.
Also if they are continuing to call bets without going to showdown.

wolfie

wolfie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
better to look weak and hit them hard with a monster;)

fish mostly start limping a lot and refusing to fold their ace-rags,
also chase to many straight/flush chances, also show their hands
a lot if had monster or made u succesfull steal/bluf.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are several signs that could indicate a weak player, such as:

Playing too many hands.
Never raising pre-flop.
Always folding to a steal.
Always folding to a continuation bet.
Chasing a straight or flush against the odds.
Going to showdown with too many weak hands.
etc. etc.....

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There're also the weak-tight players who play very tight and get scared easily after the flop, you can push them out easily representing whatever the board makes possible.

And the guys who think poker is all about bluffing, will always try to bluff you and interpret all your bets as bluffs.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If a player limps in a few times preflop, or buys in for an odd amount (like $73 at at .5/1nl table) then they are almost invariably bad players.

PkrKat

PkrKat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I appologize if this subject has been discussed recently.

Im sure some will answer that it's obviously the one losing his money. But I want to know what experienced players look for. Is it Position, C-Betting, Calling, Over Betting, etc?

Trying to get serious about this stuff and really want to take my game to the next level. Not only do I want to spot the soft players... I also want to make sure that I try to avoid being one of them.

Thanks

<----- looks like me

B

billyth3kid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i look for players that WILL NOT FOLD this is where your big money will come from ...players that will not fold middle or top pair you will take there whole stack when u hit....but in the mean time... you need to spot players that can fold OK hands to a reraise...that will help you win small to medium pots while your waiting for a monster (cash game strategy)

A

anthonydewar42

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its easy, all you have to do is acctually sit down and watch youll see who it is

B

bRiMaTiOn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only beat players that try and outplay me post-flop.

*shrug*

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well this has been mentioned.
But the biggest one for me to spot out is the player is playing way to many hands, compared to the other players at the table.
I will get a sheet of paper and make tally marks. I can spot a good fisher that way. Plus i just watch and put my tally marks and my brian together and it works out pretty well. :p

rileyl

rileyl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy way to spot a fish while you are choosing tables is to look for players playing with not full stacks.

M

malakata

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
-One of most use is play too much hand
-Ahother is that players don t want fold an Ace when they need to do
-This type of players can get a lot of hands, then you need play with a monster hand, like full house, color, straight, etc.....

I m not a expert, bue I try to learn and practice every. Good luck !!!!

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just watch out for the number of negative ev plays someone makes. If they start to make a lot of them, you probably have a fish on your hands.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are several signs that could indicate a weak player, such as:

Playing too many hands.
Never raising pre-flop.
Always folding to a steal.
Always folding to a continuation bet.
Chasing a straight or flush against the odds.
Going to showdown with too many weak hands.
etc. etc.....

I have to question#1....You state playing to many hands, but what about Raising A-lot of your range on the Button and Cut-off (6max Play)....Also since were on this then what about, Raising/Calling 4 bets in position with the intention of Bluffing on Any flop as long as it doesn't hit our Villains ranges;) ...

Do these moves Classify me as a fish:(

M

malevol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would normally look for the limp/fold, the players that play like 80% of the hands or the ones that usually raise different amounts every time they have a hand, raising it accordingly to the hands strenght... oh and my favorite ones are the ones that go all-in on the flop with only a gutshot :D

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
has anyone ever saw this type of fish: he comes to microstakes showing gold star or better (on pokerstars) probably after too many bad beats at his level, he thinks he can outplay anyone at this level, he will bet every single time at any sign on weakness like betting half the pot or not c-beting or even not double barreling, he thinks his Js are good tho there are 2 overcards on the board, he thinks you should have folded that tptk because he bet so strong on you. love this kind of fish.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plus i just watch and put my tally marks and my brian together and it works out pretty well.

Who is this Brian to whom you refer ? How long have you been holding him prisoner and forcing him to study your tally marks ? Have mercy, turn him loose.

Free Brian !
Free Brian !
Free Brian !
Free Brian !
Free Brian !

We demand freedom for Brian.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to question#1...

Note that my remark was:
"there are several signs that could indicate a weak player, such as...."
meaning that these are indications, not that any player who plays like this in any circumstance will always be a fish.

In tournament play especially, where the object of the exercise is to bust opponents out of the game, changing gears and using deceptive measures to disguise one`s range are quite standard.

smurray139

smurray139

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overvaluing an ace and any kicker. It is amazing how much some people bet if they flop an ace, especially when they have a rubbish kicker.