How to Prevent Burnout?

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, looking to hear from my fellow grinders. I try and play as much as I can 7 days a week if I can. However, I do find after several weeks of doing that I get burnt out. Do you schedule a few days of forced rest into your schedule? How would you recommend avoiding burn out?

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
God has give the night in order we to go on sleep.
If rest wasn't needed to our body and brain we will be pc's and work 24/7.
First of all playing 7 days a week is a lot, it's also question who much time on daily basis you spent on poker.
Our brain need rest so you must do days off, or I would say that brain freeze will come soon.
Knowing the stress we live today, somebody think how to survive due loosing jobs, other have a little more luck and with some activities or someone with faith in God, passing this period. My word was that now we are bombarded with information's, bad predictions for our future, only negative things on tv (thats why I don't have tv in my house) stress level is high and even you think that doesn't affect you, you are in a little miss calculation.
So there is no need for special dates for rest.
If you plan to play some extra special tour with a lot of value, then you need to prepare yourself mentally.
Play when you feel good and don't have some other things that's depend's from you.
Don't push the limits even that is famous quote.
When your body and mind are tired, they are more susceptible on stress and diseases.
Good health to you and welcome on the forum I see you are a new bird :)

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually trying to play less than usual. And it helps a lot to avoid burnouts by doing workouts, playing video games or just take some days off from poker.

how many hours do you play per each day ?

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually trying to play less than usual. And it helps a lot to avoid burnouts by doing workouts, playing video games or just take some days off from poker.

how many hours do you play per each day ?
To second this basically this person plays video games, in other words they have another thing outside poker! Yes it's not bringing in money (maybe it is?) But it doesn't need to!
I play guitar and playstation and at night unwind to an episode of something! I might play over 8 or 9 days in a row for maybe 9 hours a day and them feel burnt out so on the days I feel burnt out I just rest, like I know it's a losing proposition to play because my mind isn't there so I thank my blessing for the money made over the last week and then play playstation, learn a new song, try a new cake recipe! Just chill doing me things and after about 1 or 2 days of that I'm looking forward to poker again and sometimes instead of playing the next day I'll study instead and catch up on some poker videos!
Then I'm fresh, in the mood and in the mindset to play again!
For cash I play 100 hands when I wake up, my mind is fresh after sleeping and after 100 hands I stop and get breakfast! This allows me to take stock on myself as well, that rest for breakfast makes me think "is this a grind day or am I burnt out"

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on each person, the main thing is to always be focused and with a desire to play, when you feel that you are playing bad, bored, etc. the ideal is to rest a few hours, minutes, something to distract you and return to play 100% concentrated:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I burned out at work. Play as much as you feel comfortable. If you find yourself prioritizing poker, or dwelling on games, force yourself to take a break. Schedule time off and make sure you have other interests that receive the same priority or more.

Good luck!

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
I would recommend a fixed time for poker, then a fixed 3 times a week for yoga or fitness class. Lots of tea , water , avoid drinking alcohol during poker and good amount of sleep. A day off from poker to spend time only for the family will do great as well

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pick one or two days a week..

Try to schedule one or maybe more nights that are settled, laundry, one night, house cleaning, another, for examples. Maybe your luck will change with less time at the tables.
When I cut back on poker, and did the little things that needed to be done, my appreciation for the game went way up. For sure, it will improve your focus, playing less hands.

If you can do a little thing and sneak in some poker, the losses aren't as crushing; "that opponent got me on the river, but at least I got the dishes washed and put away."

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to hold a balance with just about everything in life and can find the benefits coming from balancing life and poker. Although it is difficult at times, I feel like it is necessary for staying engaged with poker. The long days of being busted on chop pots and bubbling can certainly have its toll on any player wishing to play everyday. One option that I have adopted from players that I know personally is to play multiple tournaments during your session as the bad beats somehow seem to be overruled by the amount of action you are playing. Of course you do not want to get over your head by playing more tables than you can adjust to but I have noticed these players not feeling like that one tournament was as much as a let down as someone only playing one and eventually being burnt from poker in general.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing as much as you can everyday, even if you were an online poker pro, just sounds unhealthy and could easily lead to burnout or poor play. I remember reading somewhere that the top pros put in a significant amount of time analyzing hands and education, so that could be a nice way to get a break from always playing and resting your brain and eyes but still getting your poker in.

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
God has give the night in order we to go on sleep.
If rest wasn't needed to our body and brain we will be pc's and work 24/7.
First of all playing 7 days a week is a lot, it's also question who much time on daily basis you spent on poker.
Our brain need rest so you must do days off, or I would say that brain freeze will come soon.
Knowing the stress we live today, somebody think how to survive due loosing jobs, other have a little more luck and with some activities or someone with faith in God, passing this period. My word was that now we are bombarded with information's, bad predictions for our future, only negative things on tv (thats why I don't have tv in my house) stress level is high and even you think that doesn't affect you, you are in a little miss calculation.
So there is no need for special dates for rest.
If you plan to play some extra special tour with a lot of value, then you need to prepare yourself mentally.
Play when you feel good and don't have some other things that's depend's from you.
Don't push the limits even that is famous quote.
When your body and mind are tired, they are more susceptible on stress and diseases.
Good health to you and welcome on the forum I see you are a new bird :)

Very wise words! I will keep that in mind. Yes I am pretty new to the community, I have been a member since December. My s hedule has freed up a lot recently and I am hoping to increase my activity and involvment.

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing as much as you can everyday, even if you were an online poker pro, just sounds unhealthy and could easily lead to burnout or poor play. I remember reading somewhere that the top pros put in a significant amount of time analyzing hands and education, so that could be a nice way to get a break from always playing and resting your brain and eyes but still getting your poker in.

Very true! And I can definitely use the study :D

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing all the time you will get burnout for sure. You need to have at least one (preferably 2) days of week without poker so that you can get some rest. Even if you play professionally treat it like normal job - 5 days work and 2 days rest. :)

gupiel0k69

gupiel0k69

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
A decently tiring workout is a good thing at least once a week. Makes you sleep like a baby after and it produces the happines hormone.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The methods are individual and each has its own. Just resting or meditation is right for me.

C

Cezar23927

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I fell burn out I just take a Day or more free of poker, Because a reset îs more than benefic

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play for fun. I think that the game should be fun in the first place, so I only play when I have free time and good mood.

pro100phil

pro100phil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rest is very important. You must understand this. Choose a day or two. Do something else

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Balancing play with studying is crucial for me. If I just play play play, then I get exhausted and frustrated when things don’t go my way. When you’re able to take a step back and review old hands and read books to better your game, you can become a better player and give yourself an emotional break.

I also meditate and go for runs to cope with the burnout.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's difficult to retain balance.

We all love chasing the high of a good session - it is definitely a form of addiction - and want to plow through poor sessions to the next to beat variance. I love putting some time into playing poker on a daily basis and yet ask myself if this is problematic. The jury is still out.

I recently listened to Kristin Bicknell detail (so presumably this applies to Alex Foxen also) that after over a decade of playing she has only just recently been able to pull back a little from her drive to play all the time.

I make no attempt to take full days off as its makes me angsty. Not in a withdrawal sense but more because I am not convinced I need to. So I do a couple of things. I limit my play and watch some high level poker videos in part study and part entertainment mode. It's a tonic to watch some great play and a sure-fire pick me up. If I sense I have played poorly, then I zero in on some focused study, primarily coaching videos which also serve as a mental lift. If a session has been poor then it is good to take a positive counter action.

And that is the key to date, for me. A long-ish session if feasible on a daily basis intermingled with lighter sessions - a mix of watching poker for entertainment and study. Its worked well enough that I have yet felt the need to step away completely for a few days.