How to play against aggressive opponents?

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one likes aggressive players, except that you yourself, right? If you play aggressively and put pressure on the poker table on all your rivals, then it will be fun for you. But if everything is the other way around, and you have to play against the aggressor, who all the time raises your bets, puts in response to checks, generally puts pressure on you, then you will not have fun. However, if you progress in poker and it will work well for you, then you will certainly play against such players, so you need to know what to do. How to play against aggressive opponents?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good loose aggressive player is probably the hardest type of player to play agaisnt. And if your playing a cash game and getting a tough time from someone in position on you it's probably best to just move tables. Other wise you have two choices which is tighten up your ranges and drop the bottom of your range so you can defend better agaisnt their 3bets . Or you can fight fire with fire which will usually cost you your stack unless your also a very good agressvie player. But if they are just maniacs and extremely aggressive you just have to keep folding until you pick up a decent enough hand to get it in with and hope they hold up.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand where you are coming from but I tend to disagree at least to some extent how fun it can be to play at a table with a very aggressive player. If your idea of "fun" means seeing a lot of cheap flops and hitting big then I understand your dilemma. There are many different kinds of aggressive players though. Pay attention and learn which one you are up against. Are they only aggressive in late position? Are they slowing down in certain spots or against certain opponents? Are they showing down any two random cards or do they generally have top 25% hands? How do they respond to aggression? Do they always just come back over the top? Do they play their premium hands the same way as their more marginal hands? If you are paying attention you will still be able to find holes in their approach. In general you will want to play a stronger range against them. If you are playing within your bankroll and don't mind losing your stack the most profitable but also more risky approach is often to play tight passive. They keep betting, and you keep calling with top pair+ or even second pair in some cases if it's a maniac. If they fold to aggression and you want to avoid some risk you can re-raise the top of your range and take smaller pots. These players can be gold mines but they can also wake up with a hand or hit a draw and take your stack. In general if we pay attention we can put ourselves in a position to win much more often than we lose though. Also pay attention to how the rest of the table is reacting to this player. Some will try to fight fire with fire and re-raise light. Others will do the opposite and start limping with KK trying to trap. It's a lot to keep track of but it will pay off in many cases if you do. To summarize:
1 - Try to have position on the LAG
2 - Tighten your range
3 - 3 bet your tighter range pre if they will still call, this will also help iso against the rest of the table.
4 - Don't be afraid to play passive and call down light. If you call pre with AJo and flop a pair and V keeps betting. Don't give them a chance to fold by raising your top pair on the flop if they will just keep betting. Just call until they check, then bet for value. If they will always call then go ahead and raise but most LAGs will slow down eventually when they realize you aren't folding and are showing strength. Sometimes you will have to call even when the run out is nasty.
5 - Watch out for other players setting traps.

gallocobain

gallocobain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be patient. It's work for me.

W

Woburn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very tight - I play only few hands:pairs JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and AK.
I'm very angry if this kind of person sit just after me....

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing against an aggressive opponent is quite difficult, but if you have a skill, you can get a lot of chips from it!

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very tight - I play only few hands:pairs JJ, QQ, KK, AA, and AK.
I'm very angry if this kind of person sit just after me....
It can be good if they are to your left. That way you get to see what everyone else at the table does before you act. Sometimes other players will try to trap the aggressive guy. If you are are to his right you can just limp your strong calling range and the LAG will probably raise for you. Then you get to see what everyone else does then you get to act. If you have a really big hand you can re-raise. Otherwise you can just call and take a flop depending on what everyone else does. I think you can also widen your range to include AQ, and 99+ at least.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually wait for a prime hand limp call if I hit I will act weak and try to draw them in for a easy kill. aggressors are like coyotes if you look weak they strike but are easily trapped... if you miss your hand on the flop then you got figure how much is too much to chase your hand if possible. Good luck out there and I hope to get on a league here sometime I got to figure that out

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you've got the bankroll you can always go aggro on them, playing a game of who flinches first. If not you wanna tighten up wait for a good hand and trap.

KingCoin

KingCoin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that agro players tend to tilt easier possibly showing a bluff if you get the chance is a good way to get the agro player off his game.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
from my point of view there are several types of opponents that play aggressive ... for example, those who re-raise very often ... and who are easy to determine after playing for a while ... and those who are aggressive but that play few hands ... so for the opponents who play aggressive and they do it very often because I in my case just wait for a hand as a pair of +10 and face it .... but in the cases of aggressive players that they play few hands ... if I take my precautions and only premiun hands play against ...!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think that the best tactics of the game against aggressive players is to remain patient, take into account the position, wait for strong cards and thus create a trap for your opponent.
Good luck.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against aggressive players, it is desirable to play in a position and with a narrow range of hands. In general, make bets with strong hands, check - with weak hands and not bluff.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to understand in details what type of aggression is used by the rival. You should not come across in a trap and to believe that all aggression at a poker table is identical. Aggression can be expressed in very different forms. You can see how the player does many reyz or rereyz on a preflopa, and it is very easily possible to assume that this player – the maniac. "This player rereyzit many hands, I will just wait a strong hand and I will put against him oll-in". It is well, very important that you could come further and consider this opponent as the certain individual. How does he consider a game? As far as he is good? What skill level at it? Very often people get to a trap and consider that the opponent luzovo-aggressive. And actually this opponent just plays many hands on a preflopa, and here on a postflopa, when it comes to serious rates, it already plays according to the card. That is it does many open-reyz on a preflopa, but when it is ready to do large rates next, it always has a strong hand. So do not come across in such trap. Wonder whether the truth your opponent plays as the maniac, whether the truth he shows rash aggression and throws away counters? Or all not so, and it shows only the thought-over aggressive game? As far as he is a competent player? Make sure that you really consider the rival as identity, but not just you consider him the aggressive maniac who does not give in to control. Of course, he and the truth can be the real aggressive maniac who does not give in to control, and it will not be bad. But you should be convinced that it precisely indeed before you begin to expand really strongly the ranges against such opponent and to invest in distributions big money with non-standard hands.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I expect strong hands preflop and then lure my opponent into a trap.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to wait for a good hand and catch this aggressive player and not be afraid to play with bad pairs, good luck can you smile.:)

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my success with super AGRO players you need position.....You don't need to wait for a good hand unless you are always scared of "getting bought off". Of Course there are a million different ways to attack so my opinion is a drop in a sea of opinions. As stated , you do not need to wait for a very good hand to attack an aggressive player , matter of fact you tend to lose out on future chips when they realize you are only calling their raises with Large hands. Which if that's what you want in the end then cool. if you're trying to gain money , you have to lose a little bit to get the full read out if they are being Aggressive to try and push the table or if they are being aggressive with some sort of Ranged hands. You cant be afraid to reraise with Marginal Pairs , so when that 7 hits the board and you're holding 4-7…..time to get your reads in. Again this is my opinion on how Ive dealt with Agros and I've had some great success against them unless they are literally just millionaires that buy into 1/2 just to attempt to piss people off , if that gets tiresome Ill just switch tables

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are two ways out. Or play as your player plays. Either wait for a good card and punish the offender.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes its a + for me you can make them bet againts you when you hold something super strong or semi decent and flop something good.. it's not always bad to have a agr player againts you maybe in the super late stages of a tournament or when you're down to 10 bbs but mostly i like it when i see someone i can take chips from ;)

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one likes aggressive players, except that you yourself, right? If you play aggressively and put pressure on the poker table on all your rivals, then it will be fun for you. But if everything is the other way around, and you have to play against the aggressor, who all the time raises your bets, puts in response to checks, generally puts pressure on you, then you will not have fun. However, if you progress in poker and it will work well for you, then you will certainly play against such players, so you need to know what to do. How to play against aggressive opponents?

I when I face these kinds of players I close my hand over one game against them values ​​this works very well.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like to play against aggressive players and I also play aggressively against them, but I play against them only when I have a good card or a normal match with combinations, if you have a very good card then try playing them aggressively too so that you also have a big chance of winning and also so that you can win more chips or money in a cash game, good luck with your games!

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just be patient and wait for a good card ... when the table conditions are favorable, attack back ...

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tighten up your ranges and punish when you have the nuts

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In an aggressive game I almost always play too aggressive, and a couple of my victories over the aggressor, he becomes more restrained as he has already lost well their chips