How much luck do you think is involved in Texas Hold'em?

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all,

How much luck do you think is involved in Texas Hold 'em?

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much luck is involved in Russian roulette? I think there's a direct correlation between the two activities, in terms of that success and failure that is.

Kertooie

Kertooie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m pretty sure Each player has close to 30%/100% chance to win a hand at the start of each hand out of 10 hands you will be dealt a premium hand 1/10 and will be dealt a good hand more close to 2/30 hands

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a a big component of luck involved in Texas hold em, as is a big component of skill and strategy. As with any game of chance luck plays a key factor in the outcome.

danix

danix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck and chance has a strong presence in poker, and contributes a lot to the success or defeat of the player. Even though you have sharp ability this factor has a lot of impact.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I consider that luck happens when you have the minor odds to win and even like this you win in the end. Sometimes you have 45% to be lucky, sometimes 1%.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you literally can't control how the cards turn, but what you can control are the cards in your hand and your reads at the table. this is how i've become a winning microstakes player. basically there's luck and skill involved so let's just call it 50/50?

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
30% in average, for an average player, in a average game at an average table :)

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is a lot of luck in a short term, maybe 55%-45% of skill-luck. However this small adventage you can materialize it in money in the long run.

A

astros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can get tru the first hour or so, the play gets alot better

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A professional who has been playing poker for 20 years said: 40% luck and 60% skill.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is some luck involved in poker. I don't know how much luck is involved in poker at a given time. You can be lucky when you get QQ and not run into AA or KK. There is so much luck that is in poker that people don't even notice.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More often than not your edges are small in Hold Em. Even in a dominating kicker scenario there is a 1 in 4 chance you will get beat and with pair over pair a 1 in 5 chance.

It can be frustrating when you get it in good and lose because you expect to win.

In tournament you have to constantly fade multiple beats which are hardly long shots to occur. I cant imagine winning a tournament where you dont get lucky at least once.

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's never a time you win without luck but skill ALWAYS has priority over luck.

Poker is a skill game then and a skill game now and it will always remain such but luck does play a factor.

It also depends on the games you play. Some will have gamblers who will go all-in with any two cards. Some will be winnable just for you and only you and nobody else. Some will go either way. It boils down to game selection.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got 15 years in this game. I peg it as 60% skill
30% percent reads on players the rest is luck .... Not much but to put a number on it is kind of petty.

You can have all the skill in the world but run card dead.

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how you attack the game.
Accepting the chaos of the board means you can minimize chaos in the other elements - namely, people.
Ultimately, to me, it's become a mind game with a very small mathematical element.
You can win the game and keep rounding with just the math but I am easily bored so I fall out of that mode of play very quickly.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They usually say it's about 30% of luck in poker. But I think it must be at least a half. ;-)

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the ratio of luck to player skills is about 30/70%.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck is a possibility. 1/9 7-11%, 1/1 50/50%.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck is a possibility. 1/9 7-11%, 1/1 50/50%.
I think what you are getting at is, good players control the luck factor using skill. Nobody can be lucky all the time and if you are losing unbelievable bad beats online due to "luck" maybe you need to ditch that site. Because I promise you, a skilled player beats a lucky player 99/100 live .

Flatran

Flatran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what you call luck, there are situations in which you will simply connect with the flop / turn / river with trash hands, in others you will have a premium hand but without connecting anything. In my opinion it is 40/60 (luck 40% - skill 60%).

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The cards dealt are 100% luck. What you do with them is 100% skill. You can win or lose short term based on luck, but long term results are based on skill, more specifically your skill vs the skill of the players you play against. As a side note, it takes different skills to beat different games/ players.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There are exist formula. From PT you use average winnings in ptbb/100hands and standart deviation. If you play small number of hands, the variance is big, more luck involved. But if you play very long, result ll be very close to your average ptbb/100...