How to manage your Bankroll?

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I know bankroll management is a key thing but how do you manage a bankroll. What are some strategies. I have found a bunch of posts and stuff I just personally don't really understand it.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
simple:
  • if you don't mind re-depositing often, play with less buy-ins.
  • if you don't want to re-deposit often, play with more buy-ins.
bankroll management is there to minimize the chance of busting your bankroll.

S

sickthis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I know bankroll management is a key thing but how do you manage a bankroll. What are some strategies. I have found a bunch of posts and stuff I just personally don't really understand it.
What about bankroll management don’t you understand? A cash buyin is how much you start with at the table. Buyins for tournaments is the cost to enter the tournament.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A. Bankroll management only make sense if you are making money and not losing money. No bankroll management can over come a negative ROI. If you lose money, you will eventually go broke and need to reload.

B. If you do make money, then you need to prevent yourself going broke due to something call "variance." You know those bad beats we get, well sometimes we get many of them for long stretches. But if you don't have the money to ride out the bad times, you will eventually hit 0.

C. The math says you want 100 buy in at least. Because even the pros can lose 50 buy ins of 100BB. If you are playing MTT you might want a even bigger range 200 buy in.

Good Luck

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many people are very patient never get tilted and leave all their roll on poker sites and do exactly what blix177 said good advice by him I agree if you got serious discipline.
But will be honest as I have tilted before going from playing freerolls and $20 tournaments calmly to suddenly after few beats playing $50,$100,$250,$500 and even $1000 buy ins chasing a break even or slight profit in a session when I left large rolls online in the past with disastrous consequences.:eek:
These days if have a decent 4 digit roll for example set aside for poker I try to keep it off the poker site feed smaller rolls into the at risk blender reload and withdraw regularly take a few shots when fresh feeling calm and relaxed at the higher stakes make it impossible to have a 2k or 5k downswing in just one session.
Leaving smaller rolls on poker sites instead of big ones freerolls mentally are easier to play and keeps you focused and hungry and concentrated in the micros and midstakes.
Loose play and bad BRM buy in decisions with big rolls and profits making mistakes can be a serious leak too in a players game that I try to control by withdrawing most of it instead.
Poker sites regularly hit zero for me due to my aggressive withdrawal strategy but I never hit zero with my bankroll reserves ready to deposit if this makes sense.:confused:

Last edited:
veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Many people are very patient never get tilted and leave all their roll on poker sites and do exactly what blix177 said good advice by him I agree if you got serious discipline.
But will be honest as I have tilted before going from playing freerolls and $20 tournaments calmly to suddenly after few beats playing $50,$100,$250,$500 and even $1000 buy ins chasing a break even or slight profit in a session when I left large rolls online in the past with disastrous consequences.:eek:
These days if have a decent 4 digit roll for example set aside for poker I try to keep it off the poker site feed smaller rolls into the at risk blender reload and withdraw regularly take a few shots when fresh feeling calm and relaxed at the higher stakes make it impossible to have a 2k or 5k downswing in just one session.
Leaving smaller rolls on poker sites instead of big ones freerolls mentally are easier to play and keeps you focused and hungry and concentrated in the micros and midstakes.
Loose play and bad BRM buy in decisions with big rolls and profits making mistakes can be a serious leak too in a players game that I try to control by withdrawing most of it instead.

Poker sites regularly hit zero for me due to my aggressive withdrawal strategy but I never hit zero with my bankroll reserves ready to deposit if this makes sense.:confused:

Perfect reply. keep as little as possible at poker sites which you can afford to lose anytime. Just withdraw as much as possible. Gl

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As only MTT player i try to always keep bankroll of at least 50 buyins on the level where i play.

K

Kdk1232

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on how big my buy in is I keep about 20 buyins in my account you can always deposit more when you win big that it all out

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management