How to increase self-dicipline?

WalterWitman

WalterWitman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I playng on pokerstars over two years. Recently i understood that my poker skills directly are good. I know when to fold and kno when to raise. But there are too many factors that can destroy my mood and i quickly lose profit achieved in last hours. Actually i dont know when to stop session and how. In this reason i want to ask if there is a good idea to start playing cardschat freerolls in purpose of improving my self-controlling skills? I thought if i would play one freeroll every day and quit after that i will be able to create some good bankroll in a long period of time and it will be stable profit. Moreover this way i can learn how to stay dispassionate both in poker and in everyday life.
Am i wrong? Psychology is important part of poker so its interesting for me how members of forum will answer this questions.
If there are experienced people who gone into profit started as a beginner with cardschat and its daily freerolls and created bankroll this way?

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well for me, if ive receive too many badbeats (Back-to-Back badbeats)within a short period of playing i usually break/quit. Sometimes they are just times/days when you cant seem to get going which would lead to frustration and cause you to become tilted. The thing is if you continue playing while you are tilt you will probably lose more. The good thing is, whether it is a couple hours later or the next day when you decide to start back you might realise that luck is on your side and start to get a lot of profitable runs. Knowing when to take a break from the game is a vital element when playing poker. You have to know within yourself even before you go to play that it wont always go your way and that you will get some bad beats and some unlucky runs, all thats a part of the variance thats in poker, is just how you deal with it. Once you're practicing good bank roll manangement, the losses shouldnt affect your profit by to much. In the long run good bank roll management and sound solid poker and making good decisions (decisions having positive expected value) you will profit long term. Gl sir

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I playng on pokerstars over two years. Recently i understood that my poker skills directly are good. I know when to fold and kno when to raise. But there are too many factors that can destroy my mood and i quickly lose profit achieved in last hours. Actually i dont know when to stop session and how. In this reason i want to ask if there is a good idea to start playing cardschat freerolls in purpose of improving my self-controlling skills? I thought if i would play one freeroll every day and quit after that i will be able to create some good bankroll in a long period of time and it will be stable profit. Moreover this way i can learn how to stay dispassionate both in poker and in everyday life.
Am i wrong? Psychology is important part of poker so its interesting for me how members of forum will answer this questions.
If there are experienced people who gone into profit started as a beginner with cardschat and its daily freerolls and created bankroll this way?

this is my problem too,nice thread,wellcome to cardschat walter.have fun and good luck..

C

Click400

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline. Being strict with yourself is important, knowing when to take a break, having a limit of losses on the day for cool you feel are things you can go adding and you can keep in mind to avoid significant mistakes.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the best way is to put short goals, easy to reach, a way is for example, in free tournaments, 10k players, only play high cards, until 5k, unless blind or some special situation. After that, you increase the difficulty of the objectives.

Equally the best way to control yourself is to learn how to read the game. There are tournaments where people go all in with anything, so there you have to risk less. Others are going to have to risk more.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like you struggle with tilt. Set some goals for yourself. In a cash game, knowing when to quit is difficult. I don't know how many times I've been up quite a few bucks on a low-stakes cash game and decide to keep playing beyond what I had intended. I convinced myself the table was soft, and quitting would be the same as leaving money on the table. Well, 30 minutes later I'd bust with nothing to show for my efforts.

boomboxcafe23

boomboxcafe23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the best plus and discipline was getting hold of my diet and my health. I recently went to the doctor and found out that I have extremely high blood pressure high cholesterol and I'm only 25 years old that's because my descent into veganism. Ugh. Quickly realize that that wasn't trying to be a pescatarian and eating every 2 hours on the dot and working out daily. My mood has increased tenfold and I'm becoming more focused and having less headaches. To keep all of this diet yes I had a factor that put my life on the line but all in all Optimum performance comes Herman Optimum mindset and optimal mindset comes from having good health read into metabolism and this should help with discipline.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many people think they know how to play poker. So, the disappointment is strong when it turns out that this is not true. You are no exception.

RiversRage

RiversRage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing and optimum level being in the right frame of mind can help curve some of those tilting swings. Bottom line follow bankroll management and know when to take a break works best for me.

WalterWitman

WalterWitman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you struggle with tilt. Set some goals for yourself. In a cash game, knowing when to quit is difficult. I don't know how many times I've been up quite a few bucks on a low-stakes cash game and decide to keep playing beyond what I had intended. I convinced myself the table was soft, and quitting would be the same as leaving money on the table. Well, 30 minutes later I'd bust with nothing to show for my efforts.

I know this feeling so good. You won some cash. You wont to get some more cash. You lose couple hands against the set of deuсes. You want get back YOUR money etc. Stupid as **** but you in the existential trap again. It often happened to me at the beginning.

Gphillips15

Gphillips15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think my problem is similar except it's as if I get bored or I think I know what the other player is thinking as if I know they're bluffing then BAM! They wurnt bluffing I lose the pot n I think to myself why the **** did I even think that he hadn't even given me reason to. That's wen I know I'm bored or tired so quite often to fix this I haven't bin playing tourneys mainly play sit n go fifty fiftys to deal with my impatientness

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How and when to stop session.. this is a big problem for me too :mad:
Whenever I have a good game I always think
"just a little bit more"... that destroys me m8

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to me you have to control yourself your emotions but also depends on type of tournaments where you have increase your speed☝️i think you have play everyday poker by 10-12hours per day . [emoji106]

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sure youэму seen the analogy but! :"will power is like a muscle" you should start training it bit-by-bit

SlimHeperpokerstars

SlimHeperpokerstars

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise to observe the life of successful poker players, and to learn self-control with them. It is also important not to show their emotions at the poker table. The online -poker need to play well as a living, then you can get used to not show their emotions. Poker discipline gradually work enough and should always stay focused, it will help you in the future

A

Ametist17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play poker! To watch poker. At each mistake not to fly into a rage, and to analyze to discuss the mistakes. Only this way it is possible to learn disciplines and to become the good player! And if each mistake enrages you. That I think what costs to you, to give up poker and not to spoil to myself mood and life! And at all not to be fond of gamblings!)

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First need to self manage yourself not in poker only in your personal life as well, start from small discipline things, and grow time by time, improve your self esteem and try to more manage yourself, when your control grow, you can control on everything, need more theoritical improvement of knowledge, after as well need practice in poker, try to make test self control trials, try to make articial control situations where even you are not need control over that situation. Trials and similiarity creation simulations can help you to improve your discipline , practice make perfect, Practice more and more on your self control and self discipline, dont wait situation untill that situation comes, try to make similiar situation and play on it try to control over it, its more likely phsycological conscious game more to take control over the trigger when you have enough weight of esteem you are going to take over in any situation of consistency you'v occur.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to know when to stop. In poker you need luck not only knowledge. If you see that luck is not on your side anymore, better to sit out then to loose. But on tournaments, just fold until you get really good cards.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me it happens the same as what you decide, I play very well the tournaments FREE achieving good wells and increasing my bankroll but when I am playing CASH mainly and lose hands bad beats I get very nervous and I play higher levels and I end up losing everything. I was reading some fragments of books to improve the head as it is a very important factor. Thanks to this I have been able to improve my game although at times something similar happens to me but I am learning to control myself

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same problem as you.
I go tilt to fast.

Z

ZaXXoR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

just value ur roll like it's your baby and never go bust unless you have dispensable income, study books and videos, buy a hud and study your leaks

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I lose and feel the "need" to get that money back - time to quit.
When I am winning and start to worry about losing it - time to quit.