Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello everyone!

A simple question, how do you identify and overcome a down swing?

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone!

hi hi jason!!! :ciao:
i start play poker may 2018
i been on downswing ever since *sighs*

blond.jpg

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I don't believe in down swings. We all suffer losing sessions, and sometimes they're packed together nicely so they drive us crazy, but otherwise, all you can do is keep trying to play good poker. And I'd also add, don't be overly critical of your play in the midst of the suffering, as sometimes you are in fact making mistakes, but sometimes you are not, so you don't want to go screwing around with your game too much in that state of mind, as you may do more harm than good.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 in a row..

When you lose 2 tournaments, in a row, at the bubble, it is a downswing.
Just getting to the bubble, you were running well enough, just didn't get the luck, that's all.
You are in a downswing, when you lose, and it sticks in your gut feelings. You are not your usual, "deal me in, it's my turn to win.."

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Downswings

Usually you lose. Then you lose again. Then you...…….

It's obvious to recognize. The bad beats are abundant. Your aces get cracked. Someone is always holding aces when you have kings. Someone is always holding kings when you have queens....

Your bankroll goes down.

Take a break. Tomorrow is another day.

Whatever you do, don't try playing in bigger buy-in games to try and quickly recoup your losses. That's the road to disaster.

Eventually, the laws of probability will return to normal.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Realise that a downswing is not because you bubbled a tournament, or had your aces cracked in the biggest pot of the day. One tournament or one hand does not constitute a downswing.

Track your results. You can use Holdem Manager, Poker Tracker, an Excel Spreadsheet or good old pen and paper, but you must track your results.

A downswing is a longer or harder group of losing sessions. Note that a downswing can last a few days, or a few months, but never a few hands.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi hi jason!!! :ciao:
i start play poker may 2018
i been on downswing ever since *sighs*

blond.jpg

Hey Krista, thanks for sharing!
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
it is not easy to stay profitable, it takes a lot of time and study!

GL

Benkisto_BR

Benkisto_BR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that taking a break is the best thing to do. Poker involves a lot of the mental game, of how you view the game, of your self-esteem.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Personally, I don't believe in down swings. We all suffer losing sessions, and sometimes they're packed together nicely so they drive us crazy, but otherwise, all you can do is keep trying to play good poker. And I'd also add, don't be overly critical of your play in the midst of the suffering, as sometimes you are in fact making mistakes, but sometimes you are not, so you don't want to go screwing around with your game too much in that state of mind, as you may do more harm than good.

Hi Abpoker, you are right! Often, especially when we are coming from profitable weeks, we need to understand that this will not be forever! Therefore, we cannot charge ourselves with these next weeks of losses, we have to keep playing our best!

:)

When you lose 2 tournaments, in a row, at the bubble, it is a downswing.
Just getting to the bubble, you were running well enough, just didn't get the luck, that's all.
You are in a downswing, when you lose, and it sticks in your gut feelings. You are not your usual, "deal me in, it's my turn to win.."

Hey 63burner, thanks for your answer! yes, you are right, i think we must understand that not every day we wake up to win!

regards

Usually you lose. Then you lose again. Then you...…….

It's obvious to recognize. The bad beats are abundant. Your aces get cracked. Someone is always holding aces when you have kings. Someone is always holding kings when you have queens....

Your bankroll goes down.

Take a break. Tomorrow is another day.

Whatever you do, don't try playing in bigger buy-in games to try and quickly recoup your losses. That's the road to disaster.

Eventually, the laws of probability will return to normal.

Hi Hsac, very good! I usually do exactly what you said! Not to level up to try to recover is the first lesson! I do the opposite, I try to get down to the next level, and if I still lose, I stop playing because it’s definitely not my day to win!

:)

Realise that a downswing is not because you bubbled a tournament, or had your aces cracked in the biggest pot of the day. One tournament or one hand does not constitute a downswing.

Track your results. You can use Holdem Manager, Poker Tracker, an Excel Spreadsheet or good old pen and paper, but you must track your results.

A downswing is a longer or harder group of losing sessions. Note that a downswing can last a few days, or a few months, but never a few hands.

Hi Matt_Burns88, thanks for sharing your knowledge! That's exactly what I try to do! Don't just look at a hand played or a day of loss. But a whole week with a large sample! Many players say that for tournaments, losses for weeks are normal, sometimes even for months, but that it shakes the psychological I have no doubts!
GL ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Downswing is when you play your best game but you loose several sessions in a row due to variance. Most important is to not let that downswing tilt you. Sometimes to achieve that short brake is needed before start playing again with clear mind.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that taking a break is the best thing to do. Poker involves a lot of the mental game, of how you view the game, of your self-esteem.

Hello Benkisto_BR, thanks for sharing! Exactly, the first thing I do is go down a level and play lower limits! If I still can't get results, it's better to stop and come back the next day!

GL ;)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I have seen in many videos of great professional players talk about this topic ... and all without execpion agree that everyone has gone through these stages ... and that to support a "Down swing" it is important to have a good bankroll, it is also important At the end of a game session where you had a "Down swing" do an analysis of the hands played to determine what was done wrong and correct it ...!

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Identifying is easy. when you see the inconsistency in your game and your chart just goes down you’re down.
What to do well what I did was to try to revise what I was doing wrong. I was getting into situations that were not + and I was playing more tables than I should have. decreases the number of screens and I started to play more focused. it helped to go down

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are having a bad streak for several days, and you are losing money, you are having a down sing.
And what to do when you have a down sing? I have seen several players handle it differently, some continue to play, but for this you must have a strong mentality so that it does not affect you at your level of play.
Other players lower their level, and put volume at a lower level, and other players stop playing and dedicate more hours of study to poker.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you want to smash your computer to pieces and accuse the pokerroom of playing a game that is not fair to You:D:D

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Downswing is when you play your best game but you loose several sessions in a row due to variance. Most important is to not let that downswing tilt you. Sometimes to achieve that short brake is needed before start playing again with clear mind.

hi neptun1914 thanks for sharing your vision!

regards ;)

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Downswing is when you play your best game but you loose every hand you play. GL

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have seen in many videos of great professional players talk about this topic ... and all without execpion agree that everyone has gone through these stages ... and that to support a "Down swing" it is important to have a good bankroll, it is also important At the end of a game session where you had a "Down swing" do an analysis of the hands played to determine what was done wrong and correct it ...!

Hi Dailon, Thank you for your collaboration! Really, everyone has passed, or will go through downswing, from the big ones to the ones that are just starting! and the most important thing is: if you are losing, stop playing and go study the mistakes a little or what is going wrong!

regards :)

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Identifying is easy. when you see the inconsistency in your game and your chart just goes down you’re down.
What to do well what I did was to try to revise what I was doing wrong. I was getting into situations that were not + and I was playing more tables than I should have. decreases the number of screens and I started to play more focused. it helped to go down

Hi Vivi, thanks for contributing. Your post was perfect! One of the best solutions I found was exactly this: to reduce the number of tables, to have more focus on what was really important! Even today I thought about making a new topic about this subject, I'll post later!

;)

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had and still have bad streaks in poker. Although it is a game with a lot of strategy, luck is also an important factor, which in the long term is diminished. From what I think is that we should worry about dominating our game and try to always play in the best way, that in the long run the luck factor will be in our favor. Cheers

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
downswing is losing sessions strick, stay calm and patient and try to upgrade Your skills

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when you want to smash your computer to pieces and accuse the pokerroom of playing a game that is not fair to You:D:D

kkkk is true!

I think everyone had that moment!

regards :D

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone!

I personally cannot recover from a tilt, I have not tried in many ways, and I cannot recover from a tilt or some badly played hand!

:damnmate:

jeanpierre1279

jeanpierre1279

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You can identify when you play a lot of games for an enormous amount of time.

So you may be able to compare your bad results with the average of the others. If you are too far down you are on a downswing.

Now watch, you also have to have spectacular results in a consistent time frame, but you are simply growing and learning in poker and even your game is failing to table profile you play.