How can I motivate myself to play poker when things are not going well?

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
How do you stay motivated and want to play poker every day if your losing streak lasts for more than 2 weeks and it seems that you will never get a good result again? I have reached the point where I am tired of playing pokerstars, it is a room that has many things in favor but many others against, I do not want to delve into the subject, but I consider playing more in ACR from now on. Surely the change of room will generate new expectations for me, since many of the leagues end or have already finished this month. Anyway I think PS is a room that has robbed me of the desire to play haha.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you stay motivated and want to play poker every day if your losing streak lasts for more than 2 weeks and it seems that you will never get a good result again? I have reached the point where I am tired of playing pokerstars, it is a room that has many things in favor but many others against, I do not want to delve into the subject, but I consider playing more in ACR from now on. Surely the change of room will generate new expectations for me, since many of the leagues end or have already finished this month. Anyway I think PS is a room that has robbed me of the desire to play haha.

Thank U 4 posting

You really have to dig into how you are playing when you run bad. You need to know if you are making mistakes that is limiting your results.
You want to look at hands other than your busy out hands to know if your play is correct.

Example

I have 6 bb with AA and lose to QJ to get knocked out of a tournament. Was that run bad yes can I do anything about it maybe.
The key is why did I have 6bb in a tournament? Why was I not out already or holding a larger stack?
Did I miss value earlier by not letting an aggro bluff?
Did I over value my hand earlier by betting the river?
Did I use bet sizes that narrowed my V’s ranges instead of keeping them wide?
Did I miss value by forcing my V’s to fold their second best hands by incorrect bet sizing?
Was I afraid to bluff?
Did I c-bet vs an obvious caller when check fold was the play?

There are many small ways to miss value or waste chips in a tournament.
Focusing on the detailed plays by doing hand reviews even when we win the pot may get you to reinvigorate your desire to play.

Hope this helps
:nurse:

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Yes, in everything you say you are right, whenever I play I take the time to analyze all those situations during the game and afterwards, but for quite some time now, really very strong hands have been costing me dearly. It is as if I had no escape and I end up losing after a great job when I am way ahead of my opponents and they only have 2 or 4 outs for example. I have tried to reduce the variance playing shorter tournaments like sit and go with regular structure, but even so I am very demotivated that with such a low probability of losing, I am constantly losing.

leoronin

leoronin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some times a break is needed we all have bad runs just make sure you dont let emotions dictate your poker playing because from personal exp it will hurt your game tremendously

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
downswings are fun, aren't they?

i motivate myself to play by just trusting the process and knowing what to expect. i play mtts and i know that i'm not going to cash in ~80% of them. that's just how it is and that means i'm going to lose/bust out with a lot of big hands in key spots when i play.

just as i'm typing this i lost a big pot in a pretty important spot. i was 16/58 (55 paid) with jj in the bb, 29 bbs. mp1 limps (14 bbs). it's folded to me and i raise 3.7 bbs. they shove pre and i lose a4o < jj, knocking me down 38/58 and costing me a pretty significant pot. and it doesn't matter because that's expected due to equity. everything i wanted to happen did: i got my opponent to commit their chips while way behind. after that, it's all out of my control. and that's what i have to expect when i play mtts; that i'm going to lose a lot.

so, why get upset and worked up over something that is inevitable? i expect to bust out of 80/100 mtts. that's a lot of flips i'm losing, a lot of hands i'm losing as a huge favorite (or a 'bad beat' as some like to call it), a lot of big pots i'm losing that could have projected to the final table, etc. and guess what? it doesn't matter because it's all standard. the top mtt pros have an itm finish of 10-20%, so your 2 week downswing isn't anything special.

instead of focusing on your results, because that's stupid as you have no control of what happens, focus on making sure you're making the most +ev decisions you can because that's what's going to get you out of your downswing. trusting that the process is and knowing your big hands are going to hold, they're going to win big pots, and they're going to increase your chances of running deep. but, you have to be willing to go for it and take some risks, and not allow bad results to affect your decision making.

going back to the jj hand that i lost, i'm sure some will say i should've just went all-in preflop and villain would've folded. or that i should have just checked and folded when i saw the ace on the flop. or whatever. but guess what? you don't win mtts if you're afraid to play for big pots with big hands. it's practically impossible to win an mtt if you don't build your stack and a lot of the time, there is a lot of risk in doing so. so, don't let bad results affect your decision making negatively. again, you can't control the results but you can control your decision making and poor decision making due to being negatively affected by bad results will affect your game.

it's also important to know how to make the proper adjustments when you lose a big hand but you're still in the mtt. just because you lost a huge pot doesn't mean all is lost, but you have to know how to make the necessary changes in your strategy. it might not always work out, but it's still all about your decision making.

funny enough, i'm in another mtt on betonline and i lose aq > ak for 36 bbs effective, leaving me with 9 bbs. but, by making proper adjustments given my situation i was able to slowly build up my stack until i doubled up with a set, eventually putting me at 55 bbs at the break. all was not lost with 9 bbs but by adjusting and not being negatively affected by the loss did play a big role as i am able to focus on making better decisions.

things i do that i find helps when i'm in a downswing are:

1. drop down in stakes. even if you're properly rolled to play your current stake, don't be afraid to drop down and play there until things improve. it's less impact on your bankroll, which helps if losing money affects your mental game. my mental game isn't affected, but i do like slowing my bankroll bleed out as much as i can.

2. play games you know you have a better edge in. i know that i don't do well in larger field, long late registration mtts on betonline. so, if i'm on a downswing, i'll avoid those games and play smaller field mtts that i know i have better chance to well in.

i apologize for type so much.

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
ohshootmybad

don't apologize for writing so much! . everything you have told me is correct and although I know it is always difficult to incorporate it. Controlling emotions is the most difficult thing when the losing streak lasts a long time, but I know this must happen and I have to keep making the best decisions. Thanks for your help!! greetings from Argentina!

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me when these things happen it doesn't really bother me too much and if it does, well I can see when it's time to take a break , and it helps to recharge the batteries so to speak ... changing things up in other ways helps me too like finding new study material to immerse myself in, or just talking to someone .. maybe they can't help you but I find it helps me to sort things ...... right now I am without a good computer ... I have a build order in but with the whole covid thing .. things are taking forever, such is life, but I'm not even playing atm ... and I will be very glad when that situation changes so I can go back to things

Mostly though, I just love playing poker I always try to do my best and stay on top of the best decisions .... but, I don't get too excited if I am winning and I don't get too excited if I go on downswing ... I just look forward to playing again .....and try to play my game as best I can .....

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ohshootmybad

don't apologize for writing so much! . everything you have told me is correct and although I know it is always difficult to incorporate it. Controlling emotions is the most difficult thing when the losing streak lasts a long time, but I know this must happen and I have to keep making the best decisions. Thanks for your help!! greetings from Argentina!
no problem. glad i could help and glad my long post wasn't a problem.

also, in the mtt where i lost ak < aq that left me with 9 bbs, i ended up taking 6/270 in the betonline event #58. a .55 re-buy/triple stack add-on, $500 gtd mtt. i late registered during the last break and took the add-on option, keeping my buy-in at $1.10 total and earned a profit of $19.55 for my efforts. not a great cash but i did go to the final table 9/9.

there was definitely a lot of luck to make the final table, especially coming back from a 9 bb stack, but i believe keeping focus and not being affected by losing a big hand did play a part in my doing well. i had been on a bit of a downswing myself and each time i busted out, i left happy with my choices and that is always important me. i never exit an mtt regretting any of my decisions. by doing so, i am able to leave happily and say 'nice hand. good game. good luck, all." in chat and 100% mean it, no matter how bad/unlucky my loss might seem to others.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When a downswing impacts your desire to play or mental game, I'd suggest taking a break rather than trying to break through the wall...

Whether it's a couple of days off, a week, two weeks or longer..

In my experience, some time out to clear your head and coming back refreshed is much better than just trying to grind it out.. Seems to just compound it when you try to power on through..

All the best and I hope things pick up for you soon!

Keep the faith... :wink:

Regards,

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Thank you all for your advice! I think taking time would be the best decision. I will stay away for a few days. I hope to return with all the energy ..

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to change your mindset about the game. Poker is a game of swings sometime your up and sometimes go you down. Everyone goes through this .

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You have to change your mindset about the game. Poker is a game of swings sometime your up and sometimes go you down. Everyone goes through this .

A serious downswing is a very different animal to the 'usual ups and downs' of poker, trust me.. :laugh:

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Branca! Personally, I think that the main objective is to find the weak points in the game, and aditionally, control our emotions and not let them interfere with our decisions. Many times after a badbeat we start to lose the line of play and sometimes we make incorrect decisions, perhaps if we calm down, we realize that we are not as bad as we think. The problem is that for example if we are deep, and we lose 50% of our stack, we want to recover it "because those chips belong to us" and we start to play an overly aggressive game, which logically ends up taking us out of the tournament. And maybe in that situation in a normal speed tournament, that 50% stack was enough to play without pressure until we doubled up again.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once took a 10 year break lol I still take a break once in a while, but I have been playing pretty regularly lately..

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can be motivated if you believe in yourself and trust that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Anyway, a 2 week downswing is nothing if it takes months for you to do everything right na that gives you a lack of motivation. :bebored:

You need to analyze and if you did everything well you trust it will be upswing as well.:icon_stud:idea:

Good luck in the future. :icon_rr:

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When these type of thing happens with me, I do one of the 3: take a break of a few days or weeks, play in a different poker room or only play freerolls for a while

L

luan466

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i know about this, and is difficult. i think we have to watch videos, learn, watch more videos, and understand that is normals. and stay out some days if you need

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can play another format, for instance if you're running bad in MTTs, then play multitable SNG`s like 45mans on Stars. You will have more successes and final tables and lower variance there. And you will get some confidence back.
Another typical thing would be a break from the game.
Or you can watch motivational videos by poker pros.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it consists of the same for pokerstars but I always say that and I never stop playing on the site, but lately I'm always doing yoga before playing pokerstars, sometimes I spend 3 to 4 days without entering, and I go to other sites and whenever i get along on different sites i stay there for more than months, and i don't even care about pokerstars.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
poker team

Good morning everyone, in my opinion the motivation comes from results and the best way to have good results is to study, I recommend joining a poker team, where your sanches to be a profitable player will increase a lot.
There is not much secret is to study and play, it is important to play various styles of poker, Mtts, sit ´go, spin´go and cash game, to know what you most identify with.
I was getting unmotivated with bads that I used to take at Mtts and started playing cash game where I am having good results without studying, I will teach myself to evolve in cash game, in my opinion it is a fairer game, because it has less variance.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good idea to change rooms. Starting with a clean slate, in another poker room , is a good motivation. I think the best incentive to play, watch professional poker players stream every day!

C

Chaskyweed05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to take it easy, study the mistakes you could have made and learn from them. Always play with money that you do not have committed to something more serious or urgent. When a variance occurs or those mistakes, remember that there are hands in which it has favored you in other opportunities and well it is a matter of welcoming it, and if you have a lot of tomato a break that the game will continue to be available at any time. Good fumes brother!

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you shouldn't totally take a break. You should change your limit level and start play freerolls for example our even free chips. When you feel good you can come back to your previous limit level.

A

amniasti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

hi you need just to wait in cash game for pair of AA lol
:D:D:D

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Motivate

I learned that when you in a losing streak for a long period of time, best to remember what you love about the game. Why you fell in love with it. Then the most important thing that helped was understanding that poker is a fluid game and when the times change the players do as well. Learn your opponents, their strategy, there weakness and then do the same about yourself and your game. There is always something new to learn.