How do you stop yourself from playing too much?

C

CXC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

It's been a long time since i've played online poker with any sort of consistancey. Last time I played was about June/July and at that point, I decided that I'd had enough. I found it to be a little too time consuming and to be honest, the thought of being one of those people who sits in front of a computer all day gambling kinda made me feel gross(no offense).

Being a college student with a shitload of money to pay for tution, books etc. I've been considering starting up again. However, I am slightly hesitant because I don't want to end up in the same pattern of turning to cards in my downtime.

With that being said, does anyone have any tips on how limit the amount you play? I was thinking maybe 2-3 SnG's a day or something, but even that seems excessive to me.

Thanks for any advice...

B

billthebill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two or three SnGs seems pretty reasonable. Or you can put a stop point on the number of hands you play.

I'm sure as a college student there are plenty of things you can find to do instead of poker...

T

toybits

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's really about discipline, you should develop the discipline to do what you have to do or not do what you shouldn't. Furthermore having discipline will also strengthen your poker game

rileyl

rileyl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the exact opposite problem. I'm too lazy and lack the discipline to actually put the hands in. I'm also in university and I know I could easily get 15000+ hands in a month but I never seem to do. I guess it mostly has to do with time management, and that I much rather go out and get drunk on Fridays and Saturdays than play poker. ;)

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish i knew how to get up and leave the table,or comp.
that is one of my weaknesses,is tat i will play for days straight.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CXC said:
How do you stop yourself from playing too much?

Running out of money usually does the job for me. ;)

---
:icon_sant

J

James Godfrey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people set time limits for how long they play and set an alarm clock by their PC.

Other go by a set number of hands.

Some people go by a set number of tournaments etc etc....

Its all on personal preference, the way I stop myself, is once my mind starts wondering to emails etc, I know I am getting bored and its time to quit so I do.. This is good dicipline on my part (big head starting), and it can be hard to do....

Just remember playing poker online isnt gross, it is classed as cool in this day and age, I know someone who played for about 40 hours solid.... he regretted it and never done it again lol.

Just get some discipline and you will find your feet.

D

dreyerrio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
find a job!!!

play about 3 hours per day is enough just play a lot of tables at the same time

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set yourself a daily goal and limit. Also, poker can become a part of your life that is time consuming, but don't let it take over other things you want to do.

houcowboy

houcowboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything in excess is not good.

Poker is no different than any other "vice" you might have.

Bottom line is discipline. Doesn't really matter what criteria you use, just decide on one and stick to it.

UnknownFlush

UnknownFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even have a job yet, still have student thought nothing much I can do. Before & After school is only I can play Poker.
I'm only stop playing Poker whenever I'm tired of losing and got bad beats.

M

muddawgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats a hard one to call more hands you see the more experiance you receive. the big pro tournaments they play 12 hours a day for a week. play for fun a couple hours shouldnt hurt you

TiltMonkey999

TiltMonkey999

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Still have this problem..I just can't get away because i feel like im bound to hit AA soon...but then i end up losing an extra 5-10 dollars in blinds by staying..so whats a good limit..Thanks
Ray
Good Post

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its easier to stick with this live than online for me personally, but i prefer to say either X amount of hours or whenever i reach my profit goal( or not) for that session. when this happens, i make myself get up and leave, or log off, as the case may be. im not gonna try to tell you i succeed every time at walking away, but setting a monetary goal and time limit can help. the hard part can be making yourself stick by it. im not gonna say this is a quote exactly, but i recall jennifer harman saying something to the effect of there is always another game. think of poker as one long game. im sure i butchered that quote, but you get the idea i think. gl

UnknownFlush

UnknownFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm prefer playing Live poker with friends, it's even fun to talk or you getting yourself a mic and go in to Teamspeak 2 or Ventrilo :p

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest problem is knowing when to quit when I am running bad. It is easier to play when you running hot you have the feeling you can do no wrong. The cards are coming at you every hand and the other players just keep giving you their chips. I have found that for me is to just stop playing and starting a poker book or reread an old one to get my thoughts going back in the right frame of mind. I still get keep playing in small way by thinking about the game in different ways.

J

jguillen88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U need discipline to play poker... I think 3-4 hrs for day is rasonable. One tourney or cash tables. ;)-
See u at the tables.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well Im with left52side...cant stop
even captzigzag is wrong, I run out of money, but theres too many freerolls
last time I stopped for any amount of time was last month when my comp was down-nice break but glad Im back:)

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I don't know when to stop my girlfriend surely does...
:p

Y

__yeppers__

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Limit urself, it is a very addictive game. Sometimes you just have to walk away and do something else and get your mind off it.

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that being said, does anyone have any tips on how limit the amount you play? I was thinking maybe 2-3 SnG's a day or something, but even that seems excessive to me.
You really think 2-3 sng's a day is excessive I can't limit myself to 2-3 at one time. LOL :icon_sant

TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play cash games, more money and if you are good you can make a lot quicker then SNGs or MTTs

J

jamo30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also a student and i find my biggest problem is playing when i should be studying. playing multiple tournaments at once and trying to cram for a biology test is near impossible just hard to put the computer down especially when your playing well.

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play wen u feel u can play your best game,,,ie wen u are not tierd,,dont wanna play but do,,feel ill,or have had a few to many kegs,,,,stik to this method and wen u feel uve had enuff poker.just stop

S

Sweeteyecandy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain, as soon as I get home from school Im on until I get so sleepy. I stopped about 5 years ago completely, it was very time consuming and I got nothing done. I guess limit yourself to a few sngs. If you win one play another, if you lose call it a night! Hope that helps...