How Do You Multi-Table?

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just curious what your set up is for multi-tabling.

I muti-table up to 4 tables on one screen.

I can't do more than 8 tables or the tables would overlap and get hidden behind each other. So what's your set up like?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am using a hud, I do not need to see all the tables so I just stack one on top of the other in 2 even piles, 1 in the top left and the other in bottom right and just let them pop up when I have to act.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am using a hud, I do not need to see all the tables so I just stack one on top of the other in 2 even piles, 1 in the top left and the other in bottom right and just let them pop up when I have to act.

I hear a lot of people do that, but what if you have mutiple decisions to make? Then they're all freakin out and popping up!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hear a lot of people do that, but what if you have mutiple decisions to make? Then they're all freakin out and popping up!

Just click faster :) Thats all poker is, mashing buttons.

M

MFaith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just do 2 or 3 at once, anymore and the binging off and on would drive me crazy. For those who do a lot of tables at once, how do you handle a complex decision when you have all those tables popping off and binging at once?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play, the less complex decisions there are to make.

aesopdurasic

aesopdurasic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would start with 2 tables and slowly start to add tables while still being profitable. I would say no more than 6. I found more than 6 tables i tend to start to play very robotic. Thats just me tho. U got to play around and find what works for u

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on my laptop and I just stack the tables. At the micro stakes full ring limit games I find that if I focus on playing good starting hands and in position I can handle 6 or 7 tables. ABC poker is enough to show a profit at the level I am currently bankrolled for.

The biggest thing that I have to watch out for is the occasional misclick. A few days ago I had the wheel and accidently folded it on the river. :mad:

I had to take a break so I didnt go off on a major tilt. I reminded my self that even Phil Ivey folded a flush by mistake in the main event, so anyone can make mistakes. That one stung though.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I just do 2 or 3 at once, anymore and the binging off and on would drive me crazy. For those who do a lot of tables at once, how do you handle a complex decision when you have all those tables popping off and binging at once?

Most sites I believe don't let a new window "pop up" until you make your move on the current window that popped up. Cake network is like this, I forget if FTP is though, I use table ninja so that forces it either way.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most sites I believe don't let a new window "pop up" until you make your move on the current window that popped up. Cake network is like this, I forget if FTP is though, I use table ninja so that forces it either way.

On Full Tilt, they will pop up like crazy. I believe you can turn that option off. But if you're in a hand, why would you want to? If I accidentally missed AA in the BB, I'd be pretty pissed off that it was due to pondering a suited connector in the cutoff.

GiantBuddha

GiantBuddha

Poker Warrior - DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put my tables on my 30" and my lobbies & Holdem Manager on my 20". I usually play 4 to 6 tables of LHE, but up to 9 fit pretty comfortably on the 30". Theoretically I could fit more, but then they get too small for me. Besides, 9 tables of shorthanded limit (more clicking) is quite enough.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
On Full Tilt, they will pop up like crazy. I believe you can turn that option off. But if you're in a hand, why would you want to? If I accidentally missed AA in the BB, I'd be pretty pissed off that it was due to pondering a suited connector in the cutoff.

On the cake network one will pop up, then the next won't pop up until you make your move on the current window, and with table ninja it makes FTP do the same thing, very helpful.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have dual monitors on my desk and also have my 46" flat screen TV hooked up too that I could use if I want, but it's across the room. I tile mine because I like to see all of the action, even though I don't really need to because I use HEM, but it's nice for when I'm taking notes and I notice that one table went to showdown so I can see how they played the entire hand. I can easily play up to 16 tables with my set up, but I'm usually playing about 8 because it's more manageable for me.

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to play more than 3-4 at a time, so I just position my tables along the bottom of the screen, and the lobbies across the top. If I ever play one of the Matrix games on FTP, I do the 4 corners method.

superman4all

superman4all

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do 4 tables but every once in a while ill bump it up to 6 and just layer them. I have tried up to 15 tables and it gets kinda crazy especially with only one screen. I enjoy 4 tables the most because I can still kinda make reads and pay attention to other players playing style and be creative when I get more than 4 I get a little to robotic.

teabagger357

teabagger357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
multitabling

I usually go for six but I can play up 10 comfortably but i tend to miss chances to steal pots when I go that many.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is my usual set up, i like tiling as i can see more or less whats going on, and i like to keep notes, so tiling for me works better.. i never really like the cascade or piling

i center my name in the middle so i can see when im dealtcards.. what im planning to do is either buy a bigger screen so i can tile like 24 or so.. or buy another similar sized screen so i can 30 table, 15 on each.

and with sng its much easier to multitable as the decisions are much easier.. id never attempt so many playing cash.. i think max id to is 12, at very very low stakes.. 8 would be my limit at normal 100 nl stakes.. i usually stick to 6.

Attachments

• multi.JPG
    multi.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 152
absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and with sng its much easier to multitable as the decisions are much easier.. id never attempt so many playing cash...

Decisions are easier, but when you are playing 15 tables and 7 of them get down to heads up all at the same time it suck when you don't have enough time to think on all of them and you keep getting timed out. If I play SnGs and still want to do a lot of multitabling, I will play like 6 SnGs spaced out in when they start a little bit to try and cut down a little on when we will be heads up, and then play a couple ring tables.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it does get hairy sometimes moreso on or near the bubble.. its common to have like 15 tables going at once when your in about 4-6 players left. thats when its at peak hour.. if im down to heads up in 7, the decisions are even easier.. as its a turbo, the blinds are generally over 200/400, so its just working out a range your going to shove from the button and what your going to call/reshove with in the bb..

but i hear what your saying.. i would play continuously but i like having breaks between sets, so i can, write notes.. ill go into the replayer and input notes on players that way.. and also if i feel i need to review the session if i faced a few spots i was usure of, ill log onto SNG wiz.. but generally im fine with 15 sets.. i dont get timed out all that often. would be nice to have 30 seconds though pokerstars!

and its not really affecting my roi, im still running at 12% which is pretty good.

more than 15 then i think your right, its better to space them out... a sng grinder friend of mine said he does this. he will load up say 15 sng, play them for a bit,, then load another 15, and purposly sit out of all the 15 tables for the first two levels.. 10/20 and 15/30,, since they really are pretty unimportant. then he resumes teh games once the blinds hit 25/50.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never sit out the first couple levels because that is when the biggest idiots are still in and they get frantic, especially in turbos, which are my favorite. If you pick up a good hand, it's likely you could double up in the first couple rounds because of how those players are playing.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like playing more than 4 tables at once. I start making mistakes and lose track of what other players are doing. I forget which table has the guy who will fold to a raise in the BB. I forget which table had the guy who always raises to my BB. Or the guy who raised big UTG with that awful hand. Is anyone tilting? Dunno! I don't like being unable to play players. When I have 6 or more going (usually because of a scheduling situation), it's very hard to play correctly.

Multitabling seems to lead to more ABC play. You don't bother with marginal hands which is usually a good thing. You see enough good hands that it helps with the patience factor. However, you lose opportunities that you would notice if you were playing fewer tables. You also have a harder time, well, manipulating your response time -- that thoughtful wait is gone, the insta-fold is the move of the day. And playing a bit with raise quantities... also hard to do when another table is beeping at you.

I also like to see how hands are being played out. I do not like the table to just pop up when it's my turn. It cuts out the flavor of how the hand is going.

Plainly, some people are much better at multitabling than I am.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
doops, that is what tracking software is for...