How do you knock people out kindly and politely?

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So. I have won my last two live tournaments, yesterday's as the short stack at the final table.

Which means I eliminated several players including 2nd and 3rd.

It was kinda awkward though, esp when you knock out a friend--even if it's just a new poker table friend.

What do you say?

Is there a way to be polite and have good etiquette here?

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my eyes there are no friends at the tables.
Off course you respect everyone when playing, but no mercy.
Just say: good game, when you knock someone from your table, and go on playing.
The friendly talks can be done after the game.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not say anything when eliminating someone. Its poker and everybody tries to win. Variance is sometimes on your side and sometimes against you and good players know that and won't be angry when you knock them out.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you have conducted yourself properly throughout the tournament, there is no need to feel bad about knocking anyone out. You can say "good game" and keep your eye on the prize.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can say good game offer a handshake but apologize no everybody at the table wants to win.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate it when players apologize for winning a hand or knocking out a player. Why apologize when you don't really mean it.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just don't gloat, be polite, everyone is trying to get as many chips as possible on every hand. Part of the game, shouldn't feel bad at all.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess I will be more bloodthirsty and less guilty from now on.

:)

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker behavior at the final table was described by mr. Tarantino in the movie The Hateful Eight.You talk nice to the people, follow the laws, you keep smiling and try to be friendly and polite, but you have to shoot all of dese mudddafluggers out of this table, using bullets, rockets, scissors, ducks, other peoples hands and bodies And while they keep leaving that table, you have to keep that sanguine feeling inside of you alive, thats the most important i think. Cause the way we think and the way our perseption work is based on that sanguine level... if it's maximum - you do your best... if it's minimum, lets say you just wake up after 1hr sleep during past 30hrs - your perception and attitude is at the lowest level. So, just keep that living flame alive inside of you and that's how you'll figure out how to deal with people without extra advices, the flame will do it :D

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my eyes there are no friends at the tables.
Off course you respect everyone when playing, but no mercy.
Just say: good game, when you knock someone from your table, and go on playing.
The friendly talks can be done after the game.

yes i am agree, but no always is good to say "good game"
once I eliminate a woman of a tournament and I told her good game and she dont like it, she say a lot of thing to me :p

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only tip I give was always nice to everyone, nothing worse than when someone is angry with someone else. But you do not have to apologize if you knock out someone else.

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So. I have won my last two live tournaments, yesterday's as the short stack at the final table.

It was kinda awkward though, esp when you knock out a friend--even if it's just a new poker table friend.

What do you say?

Of course! I love that you're humble enough to ask that question. Knocking freinds out at the poker table just comes with the sport. Marshawn Lynch runs over his friends and former teammates on the football field not because he doesn't care about them but because he's a competitor. Assume other players understand that and if you knock em out at the table its respectable (judge based on the current situation and how cool/upset the player seems) to stand up shake their hand saying something like, you played a great game, or "i enjoyed playing with you". Only do that at the final table though....itd be super funny/awkward for someone to do that in the earliest stages of the tourney. On second thought....that'd be so funny.. Please, do that. Lol

Anyways...at the final table if they're fuming that you called their shove with some sort of draw or mid pair that turned into trips on the river...the most gracious thing to do is to just give them their space and be quiet. Don't apologize because no one believes you even if you're being sincere.

I strongly disagree with the idea that there are no friends at the poker table. If you care more about money than you care about people then that statement is true for yourself, but optimistically i'd like to believe thats not universally true of the majority of players...but it could be. Myself, I've met some wonderful good souls at the poker table that I'd trust enough to loan my car and cards to.

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it when players apologize for winning a hand or knocking out a player. Why apologize when you don't really mean it.

I used to apologize alot sincerely to friends at the table and stopped for the reason that no one believes your being sincere.

When people say sorry, they're not sorry for winning perse but effectively saying something along the lines of...."I like you and wish i knocked out someone other than yourself

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
offer a handshake...tell him/her good game...go about your business...it's part of the game...if a person is upset it's not for you to worry about...imho

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol tell them it's a competition. No mercy. That's the point. And if they don't like it they don't know what the spirit of the game is. Buu them coffee [emoji13]

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not play in live tournaments, I only play online poker, if I manage to get to the final table and knock out all the players and take the first place, then I write to the players - forgive me, this is just a game and this game was very good!

I

ilucha228

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play poker you are not friends, but opponents

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What do you say?

"Sorry it was you!"

"See you next time. It was good playing with you!"

I keep it short and sincere. Otherwise you can tell them, "Nice hand!" as they're walking away....lol

Or, just don't say anything as you're waiting for the killer instinct to leave your eyes...

Good luck !

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think you can view other players as friends at the table or it could mess with your game, you are trying to beat them! But of course you can still be polite and respectful. If you view other players as friends you risk being more hesitant about going after them and in the end to win you have to beat everyone else.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
"Sorry it was you!"

"See you next time. It was good playing with you!"

I keep it short and sincere. Otherwise you can tell them, "Nice hand!" as they're walking away....lol

Or, just don't say anything as you're waiting for the killer instinct to leave your eyes...

Good luck !

"Nice hand Skippy!" works

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to feel bad for them, they knew what they signed up for. "Good game" and move on

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just normally say good game and offer a hand shake having said that I have automatically apologised once before after beating someone on the river before i was out with no hope then bam super card