How do you feel about other people telling you about their wins?

Z

zkmena

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Me, I'm lucky if I don't react more strongly than a sarcastic/deadpan "yeah sure that's great" or "bully for you" or whatever. We can be the best of friends off the tables, we can discuss poker theory or hands all you want, you can even give me bad beat stories though I'll rate them in terms of entertainment factor and general outrageousness rather than sympathize.

But when it comes to at the tables, the only results I care about are my own. I don't want to hear about how anyone ELSE did well other than as a generic impression of poker skill, a la "this person has won MTTs before, they're not gonna be just fish" or stuff like that. I mean, it's one thing if it's just a brag to whoever's on this forum or in earshot or whatever. But don't come specifically to me and tell you how well you're doing. Please.

So, what's your guys' take?

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Well, I like it to see, when the people, whom I like, are winning. I even enjoy cheering for them. And I also appreciate it, when they do vice versa for me from time to time.
Especially in long tourneys it is nice to hear someone in between with good motivational words, that keeps, at least for me, the concentration up.
And of course then I also talk sometimes: "Oh, yeah, this and that tourney is just running good for me. Happy, happy, joy, joy..."

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't recall seeing anybody do that in forum posts in quite a while. I guess that means I naturally avoid reading those posts.

As far as talking about how someone else plays at the tables, that's just plain bad etiquette. It also used to be against the chat rules at PS back in the day when they had chat mods.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is nice to hear about the successes of others. If it is a blog or some article or someone else mentions it, that's fine in my books. If the person is blowing their own horn, without an invitation, then I side with you on that.

Bare in mine that poker is a game which appeals many who have dreams of making it big, so it is a good thing too hear about the successes of others to spur you on. Hey, I have hopes of being a champion someday!

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's generally nice to hear about peoples good fortunes in whatever aspect of life it came .It doesn't leave much to talk about if you dont talk about the good and the bad. I mean it just leaves the ugly and i dont much like talking about myself.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody enjoys getting their noses rubbed in it, but if their win is described in a proper way it's OK. Otherwise I come out with an "Is that all" then top his win.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say it's a tell at the table? Talk all you want especially online tell me alI Details exactly what you did with what hand in what spot all day long! Oh you need to rebuy ok I'll wait right here and you can finish your story! Never resent a gift from the poker God's! There is no bad information. Plus he's a distraction to everyone else if your able to work with it.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
It's ok by me. I'd much prefer to hear about someone's win(s), than their bad beat(s). That goes for live, on-line or within the forum.

L

lousypanda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t have a feeling either way.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am curious to listen to such stories if I can get some experience or knowledge from that. In other cases, I am not interested in such conversations.
Good luck.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I say congrats...But nothing changes, just feel the same. :)

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better to hear about the positive side of poker than the negative. The rigged stories / conspiracy theories and bad beat complaining can be tiresome after the first hundred. LoL [emoji23]. It’s nice to see people genuinely excited about their accomplishments. I am always happy for them.

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not mind at this point, but overtime it may get old or wear on me. Now it is more of hopeful thinking that my time and efforts to learning and playing will pay off with more than just entertainment in the end.

T

TanaT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am glad to hear it. when someone is happy, I am happy too. Victory is motivation, even if it is not you. For all, such a day will come, the main thing is patience.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually don't mind hearing about someone's wins or how they placed in a tournament, because I know how great it feels to win so it doesn't bother me to hear. On the other hand when someone just goes on and on about it then it gets a little ridiculous. Mention it, discuss it a little and move on to the next topic.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, only my achievements and victories are important. I, like most people, do not know how to learn from others' mistakes, unfortunately I learn only at my own.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am ok if somebody shares good success story and provide some details and key hands that lead to it. People learn not only from their own experience but also from experience of other people. Moreover seeing that somebody is successful works as additional motivation for me. so if the story is well written and with details - keep them coming.

Dchoyt82

Dchoyt82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me, I'm lucky if I don't react more strongly than a sarcastic/deadpan "yeah sure that's great" or "bully for you" or whatever. We can be the best of friends off the tables, we can discuss poker theory or hands all you want, you can even give me bad beat stories though I'll rate them in terms of entertainment factor and general outrageousness rather than sympathize.

But when it comes to at the tables, the only results I care about are my own. I don't want to hear about how anyone ELSE did well other than as a generic impression of poker skill, a la "this person has won MTTs before, they're not gonna be just fish" or stuff like that. I mean, it's one thing if it's just a brag to whoever's on this forum or in earshot or whatever. But don't come specifically to me and tell you how well you're doing. Please.

So, what's your guys' take?

I'm just going to shoot straight here.

I believe their may be an issue with your attitude in general, and maybe even aside from poker and perhaps in other aspects of life.
For example 70% of what's being said is how you say it not exactly whats being said.

Your attitude comes off as negative brother. I understand if it's the same person only ever bragging about their wins and never anything else, but really I say Embrace the Positive let go of the negative, and Have great Cheer. Nothing wrong with supporting one another, and showing happiness towards another even when it's not you who's winning.

Win some lose some.

Life is simple really. Just be kind!

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hearing about a big win from someone is good. Me, as and most people, covers a small envy. Playing at the table, you have to respect your opponents. Do not lose your mind when opponents insult you or say words of gratitude to you.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always rated positively others’ achievements, and I try to take them for example and try to learn something from them, but especially in poker I hate myself for the reason that I can’t fix my mistakes when I do them

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to hear of people winning more so if they are a friend,not so much if it was a tournament I was knocked out of.:):):)

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let them tell themselves how much they want. I do not pay attention to it at all. I do not have time to be distracted by this in order to appreciate the victories of others.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I hate braggers to be honest , I like people who keep trying and stay humble and not only in poker but in every aspect of life!

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when my friends tell me about their successes, it motivates me to work better on my game! I say to myself "if he could that is worse than me! and I can"

Poker Tells