How do you deal with downswings?

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m usually able to deal with downswings fairly well and play through them without letting it affect my play. I even take breaks from poker and come back to playing when I feel fresh. At times I will limit myself to playing just one or two real money buyins and freerolls; this helps me get through it and back in the right mind set.
At times though I do tilt in various ways: sometimes I start playing bad and even though I realize it I continue playing and losing even more, other times I play bigger buyins which sometimes causes me to lose my bankroll and lastly I just break things which cost me money. I know none of these things are helpful but sometimes I just can’t seem to separate emotion from the game. I can’t seem to stop these negative reactions until I’ve completely released my aggression or frustration.
How do you deal with downswings? Not just in positive ways but the negative as well. When you have a negative reaction to a downswing what gets you back on track?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I take a break in the game if I start to show emotions.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all have downswings, some last longer than some. You seem to have the right ideas of dealing with your downswings - taking breaks, limiting your daily cash games, playing freerolls, playing when you're feeling fresh and revived. Sounds as if your problem is chasing you losses. I set a daily loss limit and if I hit it that's it, I AM DONE! And the limit remains even if I play in a freeroll after and cash. You have to protect your bankroll at all cost. This too shall soon pass, just hang in there. Good luck and Happy Holidays

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I what I do is take a break and not for a few hours but for a couple of days, you have to try to be calm, eventually you'll get used and it is important not to be on tilt, it will help you improve your game. What if the first few times I got angry a lot, but slowly I began to realize that did not help my game. I hope the answer will help, and you can still view it. regards

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a break for a few days to "reset" when I have a string of losing days. I usually attempt to get in a hike or two. On the days I've taken a break, I study poker in place of playing poker. Seems to get me back on track with playing the best I can.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If what I consider a downswing lasts longer than a couple days, I definitely stop playing in the particular room. Sometimes withdrawal helps (of course if I haven't blown everything in account already). Usually that's enough for me, because in other room I face good hands and bad hands, it looks more normal and I don't consider that I'm on downswing anymore.
Sometimes it continues in every room, then I stop playing and realize that I have a weak mindset. SO I try to get the right one back. Definitely this realization doesn't always come to me quickly, I'd be lying if I said that I can't relate to this part of your post:
sometimes I start playing bad and even though I realize it I continue playing and losing even more,

In general I think the best remedy is just trying to stay mindful and having a strong mindset, but it applies to everything in life.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
downswings as part of the poker routine...

If poker is part of your life, a routine event, as it were, is it always a positive for you?
Is part of the routine, just to kill time, having something productive to do? Or is it all kicks and giggles; innocent fun? If it's for fun, a downswing isn't really a downswing, it's a expected part of the game that arises.
If poker does become bland, routine, not as stimulating, analyze it yourself. Is it bland and routine, for what specific reason? If you don't really care if you win or lose, that may be an indicator.
to be spot-on, I step away, in different ways, in degrees. Stepping away to sit down and read a book that is worth reading is one way to refresh yourself and your game.
If you have severe bankroll discipline, it takes the supreme risk thrill away, but at least you wont be dedicating your time chasing your losses.

That may be the cure to downswings, set a limit, monetary or time, for poker, for a set perios of time, maybe one long stretch, one shorter one, and see what works best for you.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've felt like breaking things too, but stop myself thankfully. I've found the best thing for me to do is to try to play through but with some adjustments to my game. I'll spend some time thinking about what I can do differently and then try them out. I also spend a lot of time reading things here that might help my game.

In the end, however, the downswings are going to happen. It's best to get your mind right and accept them as part of the game. Don't get emotional about it if you can help it. If you know you're in a downswing, don't risk any more money. Play through for free or cheaply.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The uncomfortable truth is I viciously beat my wife dealing with downswings.

joking

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If during the game, I can not control my own actions, this means that I urgently need to stop the game, get up and go for a walk. Such emotional moments usually lead to losses. Obviously, it is better to take a break than to continue to be nervous.

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For such an play it is inevitable .. you need to constantly work on yourself, especially on psychology .. I take a break if I see signs of tilt

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just starting to play poker, too, were explosive emotions to lose.Now it's just not nice when they move your winning hand...

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I am looking for the same answer. It seems you can't get anywhere until you call. Then when you call you lose. You just have to add up the mathematical probabilities and take your lumps.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Either I take a break, I level down with buy-ins or I just play freerolls. As I have a very conservative brm, it doesn't hurt me much, when I have a down swing honestly. I am not very emotional about this. It is just normal and belongs to the game. Loosing in certain hands bothers me more than loosing the money.

But what I also do when I feel, that I am playing bad and I still have not enough about poker, I start to read and learn about poker or also put some hands to hand analysis forum here. Watching videos about it as well.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very tough game to deal with. One of those where you can do everything correct and still not get a positive result. You have to find solace in playing the hand that will give you most favorable out come. You want players to make bad calls, if they happen to get lucky, that is just part of the game. Move on, might have lost that battle but don't lose the war.

Letting emotions dictate results is not going to help one bit. Hand is over, look to the next one.

Last edited:
S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find downswings to be the one constant thing about online poker. I just play tight and wait for those moments of success. The only time I change my game is to go all-in (a lot) during freerolls.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hard to deal with sometimes but suck it up and get back in there

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Down swings

What is a upswing? Don't know if I've had one of those online yet. I've won some tourneys but lost most of it all at the cash tables. So I guess you could say I've been on a down swing since starting online poker. Win a free roll and start the cycle over. Don't really have that much invested so I don't lose any sleep over the down swings. I complain on here allot about how often i get my money in good and a suck out takes it. But that's that.

Down swing usually only hurt if it affects other aspects of life. Like paying the bills. So if your making a profit than I commend you and say the losing side will leave maybe in a few thousand hands. Because everything is in the long run and that in the millions of hands.:puke:

Let's play poker

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
- the tables on a "pause", or just get out of the game for a while;
- walk around the apartment or walk along the street;
- calm down in any way and force yourself to forget about poker for a while;

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always in Dowswing so I don't care I don't need to deal with it.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cry... eat lots of chocolate and journal about my feelings.
:)

No such thing as a downswing in poker. If you actually really really understand that, then poker gets much easier. It's just poker. Sometimes you're hitting flops and getting paid off for stacks, and sometimes nothing is going right and every bluff is being snapped off. Just keep making good decisions, and take breaks if you're pressing too hard.

mich1976

mich1976

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it's best to get up from the table. Go outside and run to do several squats and it will be ok

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, this is one of my favorite videos on controlling tilt by jared tendler:

I'd recommend watching it if you're struggling with tile.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just try to pick my spots better and watch out for the bad luck situation. Try playing small ball. If people reraise you consider a call with a great hand or fold what you think will be worse.

I used to break things when I began poker, but the longer you play, the more you realize is that poker has ups and downs. I get too happy when I make a great hand and then get loose after that which is not a good thing either. Keep a cool head as they say.