How do you balance your schedule, to incorporate poker in your life?

W

willpwr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious to know how other aspiring poker players find a balance.

In my case, I work a 9-5 job which take up a third of my day. I also sleep for 8 hours so that's another third. And with my free time I also get things done. But I try to dedicate atleast 2 hours a day to my game. I started with a $100 dollar deposit, which is within my financial capabilities. And it's a good starting point for 2 hours a day. It's more about gaining experience and teaching myself to adapt to situations at the table.
I believe that without balance you will be unable to focus on the big picture.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are unable to balance then maybe you have an addition and should seek help. Unless you are a professional, poker should be second to job and family. Schedule some me time around poker, see if that works well with the family and your work. Me I am single and retired so poker is scheduled around my finances. No money no play, easy planning.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no life, so balancing is not a problem. :)

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a tough one.
I think the best you can go at it is to play more at weekends.
You can try and put on a few hours every day but if you are mentally tired from working chances are you aren't playing at your maximum capability.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I play poker when I have free time. It is a hobby for me. Usually I play 2-3 hours a day, 3-4 days a week. That is enough for me.
Good luck.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could grind poker 24 hours a day. I have picked up a few things. Made a few jigglements and could be a good poker player. In fact the people are forcing my hand to play. I really just like to BS and quit when the bet is set rather then fight for the money. However, They grinded into my social security and now I cant make a car payment.​

kandauroff

kandauroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy ! I stopped sleeping almost do not eat all day playing poker. in my opinion I got! very comfortable and most importantly, I like!

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
where i am all the tourneys i play are in the end of the day, so i can balance pretty easy. and even like that i put a bunch of stuff more important than poker. like family for example.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also play poker after work. But for me it is just a hobby, so I play for fun. If there is time I play, if there is no time I do not play. Everything is simple.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically play at night for an hour or two, it's tough, I don't usually have time for tournaments.

gglpistori04

gglpistori04

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy ! I just abandoned the rest of the useless stuff which are not poker, like a job, regular social life and boring careers. Now, I´m a regular poker player. And nobody of my family or friends died because of it. Sure, I´m not the Mister Reverended For Wonderful Decisions Of His Life, but I AM happy. And sometimes I win some money, too.

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play poker after work and also weekends is full of poker :D at weekends I play almost all day, even while I go shoping I play in my mobile

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not burdened after work in most cases and in the evening I can always afford to play 2-4 hours. The main problem is finance. I try to play only for money from the freeroll....

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I work a full time job and I consider weekends to be "family time". I really try to limit the amount of time poker takes away from my family. So, I limit myself to playing 1 or 2 online tournaments a few evenings each week. I can usually start these after my daughter goes to sleep. I also play live tournaments a few times a year, but I either play them (1) in the evening during the week or (2) take a vacation day to play or (3) on a weekend if my wife and daughter have plans without me. Poker is a fun hobby to me. I have a passion for it, but I don't want it to control my life. After all, it's still just a game !

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever work permits, I think it is more difficult when you have a family, because when you have a family you give it a priority after work.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have very similar situation with free time to what OP described. Balance is indeed the key. As a recreational player most important is to do your job properly as it is the main source of income and to also perform your family related duties. Whatever is left as free time you split between poker and other hobbies so that you can also relax. It is best if you have more or less constant schedule. For example you book tuesday evening for poker learning and thursday for poker play or whatever is suitable for you. What is important is to have a routine.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mine is incredibly easy, it is at the bottom of the list. Got a chance to play a couple SnG this weekend.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am a freelance employee, so I do not actually have a schedule. I do not complicate anything, I just play poker when I have free time.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a lot of free time, so its easy for me..

But next year i will be working , so i dont know im gonna do.. probably im gonna play less.. like 2 or 3 hours per dey, now im playing like 6 hours a day

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oddly enough, I'm resting. On the main work earned money roughly on year forward. Not working now. Take a break. Now I'll try to take up poker. Will NOT work-nothing terrible. I'm going back to work. But most importantly I will rest.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For 2 hours you can play cash at zoom tables, you can still spin go, other poker disciplines take more time. But of the two I would choose the cache for zoom at himself in his playing when there is little time.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious to know how other aspiring poker players find a balance.

In my case, I work a 9-5 job which take up a third of my day. I also sleep for 8 hours so that's another third. And with my free time I also get things done. But I try to dedicate atleast 2 hours a day to my game. I started with a $100 dollar deposit, which is within my financial capabilities. And it's a good starting point for 2 hours a day. It's more about gaining experience and teaching myself to adapt to situations at the table.
I believe that without balance you will be unable to focus on the big picture.
Well, I think that some players play poker and they have a lot of free time, other players just have nothing to do and they are fond of playing poker, and there are those who play only when there is free time, I play poker in the evenings and only on weekends the days when I have free time!

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I play poker especially in the evening and only when I am not very tired. the game gives me a state of tranquility and I try to keep it throughout the game. I play for several hours when I have the opportunity and try not to mix my game with work and family.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The last time I had a full time job was so long ago it is difficult to remember.

But before I turned pro, I remember coming home every night and putting all of my time into playing poker and studying. On the weekends, I would just simply play all day long.

You want something, you go get it :)