How do I stay motivated through down swings?

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My BR is down 15% over the last 2 weeks. I've not had a single winning session in all that time.

How can I stay motivated? How do I know I'm doing the right things and this is just variance? How do you keep going through rough times like this?

thanks

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep your eyes on your goal and don't forget why do you do this...and of course keep playing , you'll beat this downswing

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know downswing is pretty hard to deal with and it will get you tilted, but keep your head up and keep going, downswing dont last forever and if playing poker is something you want to do, then stay focused and sooner or later you get better days.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I try staying away for a day, sometimes two during which I watch videos about different poker notions. I also read other things to completely forget about poker. I make sure I get a good sleep and feel well and ready before I go back to the tables. GL man.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do I stay motivated through down swings?
Two methods have helped me so far, relaxing, and watching other poker players.
How do I know I'm doing the right things and this is just variance?
Train yourself and analyze your game, this is the only way to improve.
How do you keep going through rough times like this?
I just don’t take poker seriously, anything can happen in any hand!

S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to understand that it is not always possible to win in poker, just play always according to the pot odds and mathematics, and remember that there will definitely be victories after the winnings!

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably, you need to have a break, for example for 2 weeks. If something goes wrong - small pause will help you to deal with emotions. It's works not only in poker - it's works in a lot of cases.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in the same boat, I just keep playing through it. You can also go outside get some fresh air and take your mind off poker for a little while.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alcohol the cause and solution to most of life's problems. :)

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find just being here in CC really helps me. I read all the threads and can see that I’m not the only one who goes through rough variance times. It reminds me that its just a normal part of poker. Before the only other poker person I could talk to was my husband, and that was fine, but having access to here and all the people gives me a much larger prospective.

Yes of course it is still hard to get through and you begin to doubt yourself and wonder if your playing well. Keep playing as well as you can, then all of a sudden it will be over for a while. Like ocean waves crashing on the shore. “Change is the only thing that is constant”.

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe resting for a day is a good idea, don't worry and good luck!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It is hard to handle.

I have noted this before but what keeps me balanced (mostly) is keeping good records. The longer you play the less seriously you will take the downswings over an extended period if you are a winning player. If you can look back over months or even years and see what you have accomplished, a brief downswing becomes less troubling.

It still bugs the hell and you can even feel paranoid but you have to develop the ability to shrug off the bad sessions if luck is running against you.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in one now, so many hands I'm ahead post flop and oops they hit two-outers, four table cards for a st8 or flush. I just have to remind myself I was ahead and that's all I can do, after that it's just up to the cards.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing badly makes me more nervous. Poker is still a gambling game so it's very normal when you loose even though you don't make any mistakes. But if you play badly and loose, it's your fault.

S

Suzana2304

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to take a break , your mind need it.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
when i have having a rough week i simply stay away from the tables and what poker vids and tourneys to help better my game because poker is evolving

Playing badly makes me more nervous. Poker is still a gambling game so it's very normal when you loose even though you don't make any mistakes. But if you play badly and loose, it's your fault.

your mind set will affect you game-play, thus you will make lots more mistakes and bad decisions

Last edited by a moderator:
KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a recession for 3 months ((but then I sometimes started winning a little bit! and yesterday I raised a good jackpot) either I played better, or the downswing passed)))

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a similar situation. I also think about it quite often because I often lose control and then regret it. In my opinion, you need to be distracted by other things, develop and train self-control.

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From 19th of August till 31st of same month, I experienced a downswing too, I lost 33 percent of my bankroll. I turned it around though last 11 days, it has been pretty fruitful to say the least.. What I did was I looked at my hand history during those 12 days and found that the playing style I implemented made me susceptible to huge losses. My AF and Aggression frequency was insanely high, coupled with bad decisions, goofy plays and tilt. I toned down my style and become more careful in my approach though I still play aggressively but, not to an insane degree. Its more balanced now.

I think you should analyse every session you've played in the downswing period, look through every hand, see the mistakes, take notes and make sure you dont repeat them. Also, look at your playing style in that period, there might be adjustments to be made.. hit the reset button and give yourself the best chance by leaving emotion out. It will pass, its normal to have downswings and you'll gain experience from it.

Last edited:
Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s hard when you are in downswing, but you must stay motivated. When I am in this situation I try relax and watch other players. I like learn and watch the best online poker players :)

Sorry for my english :D

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a tough one for me. The main thing I think about it that no matter how much skill i employ, luck will work for or against me. Picking the best spots I can, and making the best decisions I think I can over the long run is winning, but I only feel like a "winner" in the short term. Like, if I'm catching good hands, hitting the flop a lot etc. But then when it seems like I can't catch a break. AA rolled on by 88 who rivered that last 8, man that sucks. And when it seems to keep happening it's hard not to tilt. First I remind myself MY CARDS WILL COME, that's just how the game works. I remind myself of a few times I got lucky myself, or if it's really bad I ask myself how "good' my game is at the moment. If i'm playing good poker, but still losing, well, that just means keep playing good poker, and eventually the upswings will come back. A good book on this is "The Mental Game of Poker."

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Every player has had such difficult times. Usually in such cases I take a break for a few days. After a break, I become more patient and focused, and usually luck comes back as well.

diago726

diago726

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is true all the comments you make here I have read them and it has happened to me many times and I lost many hands and believe me the frustration is great and what always helps me is to close the game, go with my children to play, laugh with them is the best and you forget everything.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just prove to yourself that you are stronger than any downswings and black stripes, this is a test of good players and you have to overcome it. good luck!:)

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch poker matches in YouTube or stream and play good game only.