How do I know I'm profiting after rake?

G

Grinder888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All

I have a very basic and traditional question I guess: How do I know I'm profiting in the long run after the rake deductions? I ask bc I read somewhere that in the long run most people are not even beating the rake. Now using PT I assume that when it shows me My Currency Wins that is excluding rake right? so does that mean if I have a + bb/100 that I am beating the rake? or is there a "deeper" meaning to this concept of rake?

Looking forward to your replies considering the fact that I am not getting many here which can be of two things (1) Forum not very active, I highly doubt or (2) members are not very interested in the questions I have.

Cheers!

fred_antunes

fred_antunes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rake is the thing . Rakeback is another . What you refer ?

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its simple

if you start with $10 and at end of session you have $11, you are a winner and are beating the rake

its not something to be concerned about except when you are playing sngs. rake is a fee to play. your objective is to make money despite that fee, its not something you need to look at in the end or be concerned about. if you are running deep stat analysis of your game, maybe you can see how certain ways of playing win you certain monies away from the rake and then its just good enough to know what you spent in a session...but rake only has a strong effect on your winnings at the lowest levels, and assuming you will be moving up, it does little to run deep scans because you will be changing the way you play as you move up

in sngs it is only important to understand that it is there, meaning you need to win 1 of 4 sngs instead of 1 in 5 to be profitable because of the rake

dont worry about it, people like to throw around terms to look like they know what they are talking about; "beating rake" "variance" and what not, when in reality they have NO IDEA what they are talking about

one thing to realize, the higher up in levels you go, the less the rake has an effect on your winnings, otherwise its of little concern

I assume in your program when it shows you have +bb/100 that is means above the rake because the rake is taken out before the hand is finished

as far as having questions answered, it depends on the question, a person can only answer questions about bankroll management so many times before madness sets in...if you think it is a common question you seek answers to then search the forum for a post that already asked it, people come here and just post willy nilly about very common things without first looking for an answer elsewhere, and since it is literally the 100th time it was asked in a month - no one wants to answer it

Last edited:
G

Grinder888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rake is the thing . Rakeback is another . What you refer ?

Hi

I am talking about the rake as in people say in the long run it's difficult to beat the rake or something like that. Not rake back, although I would like something like that but not sure if it is a thing on 888 or iPoker...

G

Grinder888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its simple

if you start with $10 and at end of session you have $11, you are a winner and are beating the rake

its not something to be concerned about except when you are playing sngs. rake is a fee to play. your objective is to make money despite that fee, its not something you need to look at in the end or be concerned about. if you are running deep stat analysis of your game, maybe you can see how certain ways of playing win you certain monies away from the rake and then its just good enough to know what you spent in a session...but rake only has a strong effect on your winnings at the lowest levels, and assuming you will be moving up, it does little to run deep scans because you will be changing the way you play as you move up

in sngs it is only important to understand that it is there, meaning you need to win 1 of 4 sngs instead of 1 in 5 to be profitable because of the rake

dont worry about it, people like to throw around terms to look like they know what they are talking about; "beating rake" "variance" and what not, when in reality they have NO IDEA what they are talking about

one thing to realize, the higher up in levels you go, the less the rake has an effect on your winnings, otherwise its of little concern

I assume in your program when it shows you have +bb/100 that is means above the rake because the rake is taken out before the hand is finished

as far as having questions answered, it depends on the question, a person can only answer questions about bankroll management so many times before madness sets in...if you think it is a common question you seek answers to then search the forum for a post that already asked it, people come here and just post willy nilly about very common things without first looking for an answer elsewhere, and since it is literally the 100th time it was asked in a month - no one wants to answer it

+1

Thank you, that was very helpful and yes I agree about the posting massacre and sadly I might have contributed to it time and again. But I was talking about the hand analysis for micro stakes. Goes days without feedback and I even try to post it as per the FAQ instructions. Anyway enough whining for one day, Cheers!!

M

MikeyE8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can tell by subtracting your winnings minus the fee paid. If you are positive then you are profitable. Also you can get something to look at how profitable you are such as poker tracker or a free one like sharkscope.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
How do you know If you are profiting after rake?
Easy answer: cheq your balance frequently, if it goes up you are profiting; with proper bankroll management you will know for sure if you are ahead or by how much you are down. GL. :deal:

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
+1

Thank you, that was very helpful and yes I agree about the posting massacre and sadly I might have contributed to it time and again. But I was talking about the hand analysis for micro stakes. Goes days without feedback and I even try to post it as per the FAQ instructions. Anyway enough whining for one day, Cheers!!

Ahh, I rarely get into those types of posts, I am more of a rules and regulations guy, general support, and anti-conspiracy nut, and may dip into stats sometimes too. If you ever need anything like that hit me up