How to deal with a losing streak ?

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many times have you felt in the worst card streak in history? that no matter how much you play well and put your money in the best hand, the cards just don't come out as they should ... or how many times do you decide to go all in pre flop with KK and your opponent pays immediately with AA? ... Well I think this has happened to all of us and not just once but several times, the question is ... what do you do to stay calm and focused when you are right in the middle of a very bad streak? ... apparently I am falling in one right now and I would like to read your advice or anecdotes .... Here he goes as I manage (if you can call him that) the bad streaks ... 1. I stop watching TV while I play (lol) 2. I stop using the semi-bluff so frequently. 3. When I go on tilt I prefer to run or go for a beer ... 4. I curse my luck !!! haha Comment ... Cheers

K

Ktv2018

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never thought that I could get distracted by the TV, as I think about this you are right.
I do have a superstition when I go All In I need to light a cigarette [emoji12]🤣🤣🤣

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way, right now I have a losing streak, where an AA, KK, AK, has made it impossible for me to win with them, play as I play, All inn, passing, doubling or tripling the blind ..... to that point that I thought that pokerstars was cruel to me. There is no logic to how to play at pokerstars right now, to the point that I already consider that it is the same as playing a nickel swallow machine ... pure chance .... but I will not give up.

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey bro!
Firs of all you have to let your bad beats go . You have to accept the reality of poker.
I got a question . Why do we always complain about the bad beats and forget about the times when we were lucky on the river?
You have to get rid of those thoughts and keeping your A game on the table.
You have to keep working in your mindset and your game.
Once you accept this, you will be able to control your emotions .

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens to all of us. It is very good idea to mark key hands in every game and analyze them later hwne you are calm (even next day in some cases). This helps you to see if you played well and just got unlucky or you made a mistake which you could have avoided and fix this leak in your game. It is also very important to play with maximum focus on the game (not tired, not watching TV and definitely not drunk). If you think you played well and you are still in bad streak the only good solution is to take a break until you clear your mind and are ready to get back to the action.

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Number 1 action you can take right now... is TAKE A BREAK! :)

Seriously... walk away for a few days and clear your mind. Then come back to it with a fresh start... maybe the downtime will let you be more patient and thus reducing your semi-bluff frequency as well as less playing from "pot-committed" positions.

It happens to everyone.. the only difference is how you react to long losing streaks.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
The best way to deal with the losing streak is to just take a break. A good rest will allow you to be more efficient and focused.
Good luck.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A negative band can only be changed in the positive. A moral and physical rest is necessary. Turn your attention to any other favorite hobby. Only when you have inner balance and a clear desire to play, then play without forcing events.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The distance will return...thus speak :)))

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely a short break from poker won't hurt. Try to change your style of play if you always have a bad luck streak, it can help..

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Swear to poker gods and start the next game. If it persists dangerously, take a short break, play lower stakes or even a new variant of poker.
I am in the middle of a serious downswing right now, I cannot even win when I am the 92% favourite...
I play very small stakes, free-rolls and when it gets too frustrating I go and play some chess. No luck there!:D

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I happent to me meny Times..we need to take the time to relax and see what his wrong in the that hand...play safe to stay with money. :)

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get out of poker a little and it will cool your head, and come back when you’re ready, it’s always right with me!

K

kubistok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned that I can't push it. I used to have a break for a few days. I've tried to throw it behind me.

S

Schmittens

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1. I stop watching TV while I play (lol) 2. I stop using the semi-bluff so frequently. 3. When I go on tilt I prefer to run or go for a beer ... 4. I curse my luck !!! haha Comment ... Cheers

Yes, turn off all distractions! Plug in your headphones and get a playlist ready instead. Wait until breaks for the commode or beer run!

For losing streaks, it's difficult to gauge whether you should change your style of play or stick to your guns. For me, I find myself making the same mistakes such as not raising pre-flop and letting the small blind limp or the big blind check with a weak hand that they end up flopping 2-pair with like a 3/8 or 2/7. These mistakes must be addressed so clean up your game where it needs, but overall, stick to your style of play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Losing streaks, whether you look at it as losing hands v hands, or tournament entries, or cash game buy-ins, or whatever, is just part of the game and is something you can expect to happen.

I deal with it by just accepting this and understand that, as long as I'm getting my money in good majority of the time, I'm going to profit in the long run. Bad luck, bad runs, losing streaks, etc, are only temporary I'm you're making +ev decisions. I just have to wait it out.

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So it will be companions, I agree in each and every one of your comments, but I certainly realize that online poker is extremely treacherous and difficult. I will be clear in live poker, where those streaks do not exist for me at least, it is won and lost, but there is no such regularity that miraculous game for others and where if it is true that knowledge and strategy plays a very important role. In online poker you learn the basics, but whoever wants to play live using online strategies, prepare for a bad streak for life. Online is luck, just luck, better times will come

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Find something to focus on that's not poker related...take a break and breathe try not to scream or break anything I take 10 and go for a walk and try to realize this happens to all players and it will subside

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am in such losing streak now too. Frustrating as always. This has been lasting for a few days and I haven't been playing differently. Most (not all; I recognize I'm not playing perfectly) of my plays are correct, but the cards just don't help me. Plays I am obviously favored too - like 80% favorite and losing still - hard to accept those 20% times when they hit.

Luckily, I don't think I am tilting because of it (I take breaks and rest from poker etc.). However, that doesn't make losing much easier. I know it is part of the game and should balance eventually, but ugh. The wait.

J

jmg199

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think I'll take tomorrow off. At least from the cash games. Maybe get into a freeroll or 2.
Lost fairly large pots today with pocket Q's and pocket J's. Went all in with an Ace high straight at one point and the person who called me also had the Ace so we split the pot. Just that type of day.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The result does not matter! The main thing is that you play correctly! Although this is easier said than accepted!

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Take some time off playing or play freerolls and small buy in
games till you get back in the wining path.

L

lucky_new22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
x

How to deal with a losing streak ?

costy1300

costy1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I change strategy, if I lose AA or KK I will enter with small cards, because others can lose with big cards:D

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I change strategy, if I lose AA or KK I will enter with small cards, because others can lose with big cards:D

who fouls AA or KK without cards at the table?who does not pay an all inn?