R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This topic is intended to discuss the best ways to persuade family and friends to support or at least not disrupt their poker projects. Please answer me a little about this.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My theory is show them your graph of your winnings once you're a very big winning player over the long term. That's my only theory. It'd also be best if not only do you have a great bb/100 winrate, but also you can make a good hourly wage playing at that rate.

If none of this is the case then I feel it'd be best to just tell them you treat it like a hobby where you also have the potential to win some money.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
And why should someone convince?

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Show your achievements and results...

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have to convince someone about this it's yourself. Learn and make money out of this game and that will prove whatever you are trying to convince others too.

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think having results/evidence of you profiting out of your poker project is the best way to convince somebody that you are good at it and understand poker. It's like you simply tell people that you are the best poker player in the world is not convincing at all, show them your tournament earnings would be a good evidence

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most probably they will not believe in your project. People in general consider poker as gambling, so it's difficult to convince them. Also, they will say that it's not a good way of living because you are taking money for other people.

You just have to do it in your free time, study and play hard, at least to see if you are made for this game. Don't sacrifice for other and take the job that they consider to be good for you (you need to be happy, to have a job or to make money with something that makes you happy) do what you consider it's good for you.
The second aspect of this game is how much you are winning. In my opinion, you need to win at least 2000$/month in order to play professionally (meaning not having other job). If you play MTT's you need to be very strong mentally, you have to be aware that you will have 2-3 loosing month in a row..... so if you don't manage your money, you could end up broke.
For example, I consider myself a weak player and I'm not able to win more than 300$/month, so I have also a job:).

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It won't be easy if they are already opposed. Most players lose money - and even the winning players have losing months.

It is really nobody's business unless it is your spouse. Then you would need to have a budget that they agree to and make sure you never exceed it.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning, my family thought that I was just playing for fun, but then I saw that I sometimes managed to win and get good results, now my family knows that I'm playing to try to get extra profit and they are very happy for me if you have what kind of winnings and good results then show them the results and they will know what you are playing and try to win!

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good you have people that care about your well-being,you are loved! :damnmate:

B

Brauner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough Bunch

Hi. Everyone. I have this problem coming from bible believing family. Its my fault for chasing slots too. I am working on making poker profitable to stand on those laurels.:eek::cool::confused::D

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This topic is intended to discuss the best ways to persuade family and friends to support or at least not disrupt their poker projects. Please answer me a little about this.

I will answer you as a person who has not a small experience in the field of gambling and relationships with the family on this issue. Once I lost a rather large amount of money, not very big, to make a tragedy of it, but it's big enough for one person whom I thought was close to me decided to inflate this fantastic story, in which I turned out to be a very negative hero. After that, at one mention of the word "game" of all my relatives and the family starts to shake and except for cries and their beliefs that I'm sick nothing happens. People remember situations with the greatest emotions and they remember this, and not those in which I spent several times more on them. Do not try to convince anyone in anything - follow your own way - this is your life.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you get a family and friends vote on every project you are involved with? Should be self evident if you you play or not unless there is mitigating circumstances.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its very hard. I havent convinced them to this day. But i dont even try anymore. Concentrate on your own life, even if they are your family.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It should be the other way around...they should be trying to convince you to play.:rolleyes:

This is gambling pure and simple. Your family must always come first and that means skipping some games...one day I had an opportunity cost of $50k in free rolls if I had played all the games I qualified for. There were about 8-10 games in total and my morning, afternoon and part of the evening would have been taken up playing them. Instead, I did some chores around the house, watched some TV and did un-poker things. There will always be other games....

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never. Not until you win big. Results are the only proof.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can hardly do it. Just play while in your free time, and when you play a decent bankroll, then you can already start making a living playing poker and no one will have to explain and prove something.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In case you take time and money from the family, good luck explaining; no chance.
If you take time, but bring money, playing poker logicaly makes some sense, but within the family emotion is usually more important.
Conclusion: in case you family does not support/trust/believe/understand your poker hobby. Please think if it is worth the fight.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
If you can profit from the game, in this case your family will not be against poker. But if you only spend money on the game, then you better stop playing. Personally, I play only in freerolls.

cubons

cubons

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was underage I made my mom to read some articles about poker and the ways how poker affects your brains. That worked!

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My family thought that I am idiot.But after stably profit and some presents,they changed their mind and become to relate positive and with interest.

R

RounderRob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeh ya got to show that you know what your doing . they have to faith in you and your play as well..especially if your talking a spouse or children that are depending on you...keep it to the weekends unless you have enuff backing funds to where you can daily grind...

Terrell423

Terrell423

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe you need to prove it to yourself first

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have stopped trying to explain to the spouse variance and saying things like but I had the nuts on turn or aces as do not want another wallop of the frying pan lol.:D