How can Chris Ferguson turn $1 into $20,000?

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read that before he did the $0 to $10,000 he turned $1 into $20,000. How is this possible? I have $1 on fulltilt right now and there is no sng or cash game i can buy into. :confused:

C

coljung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes you can, daily there are i think 2 tourneys that cost $1. the fergusson and another one.

just look around.

go to the tournaments section and order by buy-in.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes you can, daily there are i think 2 tourneys that cost $1. the fergusson and another one.

just look around.

go to the tournaments section and order by buy-in.

Yes but he said he started in 1c 2c cash games, and does the Ferguson tourney have an entry fee?

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like a good little tourney. Shame it starts at 5am uk time.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read that before he did the $0 to $10,000 he turned $1 into $20,000. How is this possible? I have $1 on fulltilt right now and there is no sng or cash game i can buy into. :confused:
Are you sure about the cash games? I don't play on FT, but on PS they have limit ring games where it costs under a $1 to enter.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but he said he started in 1c 2c cash games, and does the Ferguson tourney have an entry fee?

Obviously, you need to be playing at a different site to get 1c/2c games. I started on such a site until the great U.S. funds fiasco. They even gave me $5 after I had played play money for a while. I guess Chris can't count that or endorsements fees he might get.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you sure about the cash games? I don't play on FT, but on PS they have limit ring games where it costs under a $1 to enter.

I'm sure, the smallest stakes on full tilt are, 5c 10c with a min buy-in of $2 for no limit, and 25c 50c for limit. I definitely heard Chris Ferguson say himself on a podcast that he started out playing 1c 2c PLO hi/low.

Mrlova

Mrlova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

He made a statement saying he built his first bankroll all from the freerolls on FTP, which is very hard if you've ever tryed. Anyway I think he won at least $20 before moving onto $1 tournaments and small sit n go's. It must have taken a lot of discipline to be able to win that much.

Good luck at your tables

A

agarnael

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how he did it all

well the story is here:
Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker - All Promotions: Chris Ferguson Challenge

I have been trying the freerolls for about a month now and last week I managed to get a 3rd place finish. That gave me $9 to start with. Eventually i built up to $25 in a couple of days. Then i have started playing heads up tourneys and went to 50c in one horrible day. =/

back to freerolls now

D

DP_Machine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still amazed that he can pull that off. That takes a motherload of patience - not just waiting for cards and to make moves - but also to put up and compete with the players/donkeys that play in these freerolls and the micro-levels. That is some serious grinding-it-out work there.

Has anyone even come remotely close to this feat (eg. turning freerolls into a thousand dollars or more)? Major props to you if you've done anything like that. Would be interesting to know the time frame it took to accumulate whatever amount you're at as well.

Eour

Eour

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris knows when to hold em and when to fold em. That is what we are all looking for. Turning $0 into $20,000 is amazing. I wonder what he'll do next. I think all of his winnings are going to charity.:)

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone even come remotely close to this feat (eg. turning freerolls into a thousand dollars or more)? Major props to you if you've done anything like that. Would be interesting to know the time frame it took to accumulate whatever amount you're at as well.

I have turned $30 into $3000. Took about 6 months. I could tell you more accurately, were I at home with my notes (I`m at the office at the mo`).

I actually think that is much easier than Chris Ferguson`s feat, though. As others have said, the toughest bit is the first bit. By starting with a deposit of $30, I skipped the really difficult part.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still amazed that he can pull that off. That takes a motherload of patience - not just waiting for cards and to make moves - but also to put up and compete with the players/donkeys that play in these freerolls and the micro-levels. That is some serious grinding-it-out work there.

I've started playing freerolls on poker4ever. After a while I build up a couple of bucks, started grinding limit tables (0.1 blinds). Got 2nd in a frequent player event which got me about 25 bucks. After about 2 or 3 weeks I've build up my roll to 50 bucks. Started bonus whoring and playing NL 10. Now, about 5 or 6 months later my BR is over 1500. So yeah, it is possible, but you'll have to be willing to grind it out, specially at the start. (Had 28 bucks build up from freerolls before the above happened, but lost it all when I went on tilt once, that sucked)

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Ive done this, i usually build up a BR to about $150 from scratch. I have definitely made over $1000 online and i have never put my own money on. I don't see the point of me depositing, because if i did deposit, i would only put on like $30 and that can be reached by playing free rolls. :)

I actually think that is much easier than Chris Ferguson`s feat, though. As others have said, the toughest bit is the first bit. By starting with a deposit of $30, I skipped the really difficult part.

Exactly, once i am up to like $20-$30 its easy beating those $2 sng's and micro limit games. But when you cash in a freeroll for about $3, you only have on chance or your back to free rolls again. :(

D

doctavius

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its possible! You know how i know?? BECUASE IVE DONE IT! And then some. I began playing freerolls on cardschat and other pokerforums mostly at Full Tilt. This began in probably late spring early summer 2005. I think i won a freeroll cant remember but i started to build my bank. After alot of trial and error i found my niche and began to make steady income. By fall of 2005 i placed 4th in 50k gar. on Full Tilt that paid $6600, which was my biggest cash to date. Since then ive made well over $20,000 online(possibly over $30k, its hard to keep track nowdays). I play now on pokerstars. unfortunately thepokerdb.com didnt start keeping data for FullTILT untill 2006. You can see some of my results there. It wasnt easy. It did require alot of self analysis and patience and grinding and all those good things. I can know say im a constant winning poker player.

W

Will Sidis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its possible! You know how i know?? BECUASE IVE DONE IT! And then some. I began playing freerolls on cardschat and other pokerforums mostly at Full Tilt. This began in probably late spring early summer 2005. I think i won a freeroll cant remember but i started to build my bank. After alot of trial and error i found my niche and began to make steady income. By fall of 2005 i placed 4th in 50k gar. on Full Tilt that paid $6600, which was my biggest cash to date. Since then ive made well over $20,000 online(possibly over $30k, its hard to keep track nowdays). I play now on Pokerstars. unfortunately thepokerdb.com didnt start keeping data for FullTILT untill 2006. You can see some of my results there. It wasnt easy. It did require alot of self analysis and patience and grinding and all those good things. I can know say im a constant winning poker player.
That's amazing. Are there any good freerolls on pokerstars? I like the full tilt ones a lot, but every time I download it it messes up my computer.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its possible! You know how i know?? BECUASE IVE DONE IT! And then some. I began playing freerolls on cardschat and other pokerforums mostly at Full Tilt. This began in probably late spring early summer 2005. I think i won a freeroll cant remember but i started to build my bank. After alot of trial and error i found my niche and began to make steady income. By fall of 2005 i placed 4th in 50k gar. on Full Tilt that paid $6600, which was my biggest cash to date. Since then ive made well over $20,000 online(possibly over $30k, its hard to keep track nowdays). I play now on Pokerstars. unfortunately thepokerdb.com didnt start keeping data for FullTILT untill 2006. You can see some of my results there. It wasnt easy. It did require alot of self analysis and patience and grinding and all those good things. I can know say im a constant winning poker player.

I find this very funny since 90% of your threads are about the freerolls here? why not join us in the real money tournaments then if you have 30k?

not saying you are not telling the truth just find it funny and ironic. You went from like 40 posts about the freerolls to last 3 posts saying you have made tons of money.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's amazing. Are there any good freerolls on pokerstars? I like the full tilt ones a lot, but every time I download it it messes up my computer.

the hubble freerolls on stars are not good in my opinion. you start with 10000 players and have to finish in the top 27 just to get a ticket to the paid round 2 tourney. if i were you, i'd stick to the fulltilt or bodog freerolls.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chris Ferguson's $1 to $20,000 experiment was performed several years ago before he signed his endorsement contract with Full Tilt. I've heard and read the same thing, that he started out playing penny games, but I don't know what site he used. Or even if it was a particular site. It could have been various ones for all I know.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not saying you are not telling the truth just find it funny and ironic. You went from like 40 posts about the freerolls to last 3 posts saying you have made tons of money.
OK, I'll say it. He's totally full of s**t. Anybody who could turn zero bucks into $20,000 to $30,000 in two years would be playing at a level that brings a healthy level of notoriety in the online poker world. I've read the posts and we're not talking Devilfish Ulliott here, boys. Poker and pathology often travel together.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well the story is here:
Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker - All Promotions: Chris Ferguson Challenge

I have been trying the freerolls for about a month now and last week I managed to get a 3rd place finish. That gave me $9 to start with. Eventually i built up to $25 in a couple of days. Then i have started playing heads up tourneys and went to 50c in one horrible day. =/

back to freerolls now
Well, did you actually read the article you linked us to? Your over-stretching of the $9 freeroll winnings is exactly what Chris is stressing NOT to do. His whole emphasis is on Bankroll Management, not on poker skills or luck. The point he's trying to make to all players at any level of expertise or stakes is that you don't have to let this game bust you out. Whether you're a new player making mistakes or an expert player at the big games, proper Bankroll Management will always leave you with money to play with.